How to burn calories while sitting at a desk ?

At my job i am required to be seated or sometimes standing at a desk, it is at a hotel so i can not really do anything that will draw attention and make guests feel awkward or anything..

Basically does anyone have suggestions?

Replies

• peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Air bicycle!, Chair push ups!
  • twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    I work at a desk for 12 hours a day and a few things I do is I can walk in place and high step, use the aerobic step we have for a few mins and then I use the desk to do modified pushups too...if you're sitting down you can also work on your abs by pulling your legs towards your chest and out without setting them down
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Butt crunches. Squeeze, hold, release, repeat.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    squeeze your abs or your butt cheeks :blushing:
  • brianklitzke
    brianklitzke Posts: 11 Member
    Not sure if any of these will be feasible for your current situation but they are a good starting point.

http://fitperez.com/2011-07-27-exercise-while-you-sit

Cheers
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    For me... concentrating on my posture is hard enough!! And I've noticed my core is stronger for it. Oh... and pelvic floor exercises. That's the two things I concentrate on whilst at my desk.
  • Penguinita
    Penguinita Posts: 159 Member
    I make myself get up for the silliest things. Instead of rolling my chair over to the cabinets that are like 4 feet away I get up and go to them.

I also walk the long way to work which adds like 5 minutes, not much but its something.
  • Calf raises, isometrics, foot tappers, if no one is around at all you can do pushups(hands on the edge of the counter with your body at an angle or wall pushups) or tricep dips.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Kegel exercises are discreet.

ETA: Oh, I didn't notice, but you're a dude. My answer still stands.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Any movement at all! You mentioned not being able to do obvious things but even just bouncing your legs will increase the number of calories you burn by a little!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Do some weight training when you're not at work. Increase your muscle mass and then you will burn more calories while you're at rest.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    When ther is a lull you can do these....I do a couple of sets every time I go to the bathroom (which is quite often with the amount of water I drink....)

You can tone and define your butt and hamstrings by simply using your own body weight for leg kick back exercises. Exercise.com suggests you stand behind a chair and place your hands on the back of the seat with your feet approximately hip width apart. Place all of your weight onto your right leg and carefully move your left leg straight back. At your leg's apex, tighten your glutes and lengthen your left heel up and out. Prevent your left foot from contacting the floor and perform a set with a designated number of repetitions.

Also "push-ups" against a desk or the washbasin stand.....

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/411281-what-are-leg-kick-back-exercises/#ixzz1Tp8wXCY3
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Do nervous knees. You know what they are. Like when you gotta pee and you can't leave your desk, LOL. Just bounce your foot up and down on your toes with heel off the floor. You can do it and nobody will see. I don't recall where I learned this but fidgeting like that for long periods of time burns a fair number of caloires.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    FIDGET!!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    I just get up from my desk a lot. I suddenly decide I need more coffee, I need to talk to someone whose desk is far away, I have to go to the bathroom, I need to run to the printer, etc.

I just have a million excuses to get up.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    People swear by sitting on those exercise balls for at least part of the day at work. I tried a friends for a while once. It forces you to use more muscles to balance and you can also bounce up and down while working too. I felt it helped my back that day. I don't know what it would do for long periods of time though.
  • GregoP
    GregoP Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for the tips. Ill try to figgit more lol..

Im already pretty good in the excuse department, i was just looking for an idea so i dont sit around feeling so obese all day lol.

Normally my job entails walking. alot. and climbing stairs. alot. on avg about 14,000 - 20,000 steps per day..

So just sitting all day is not really my regular routine. I know there is no was i can makeup for all those lost steps while at work, but your tips may help.
  • jah7700
    jah7700 Posts: 276 Member
    Kegel exercises are discreet.

ETA: Oh, I didn't notice, but you're a dude. My answer still stands.

HA.! I had to google this and am amazed at the amount of information out there for kegel excercises for men.