Feeling hungry in the evening

Options
So, few hours before going to sleep I feel hungry, I am trying my best not to eat, but usually eat fruit or snack, and go over my calories plan.
I am 158 cm and 70 kg and have 1500 Kcal plan. I do exercise 2-3 times per week.

Replies

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    My best advice for you with that is set a time you are no longer going to eat after and drink a whole bunch of water and then brush your teeth. Brushing your teeth will ruin the appetite cravings or atleast help them a bit because you won't eat with the minty flavor because it'd be gross lol. The other thing I can tell you is if you know you're gonna eat a snack late at night, save some calories for it so you're not going over!
  • cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Have some high protein fat free yoghurt (skyr or fat free greek yoghurt or fat free cottage cheese ) as a planned late meal instead of an unplanned snack.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    my advice is to bulk up your meals with low calorie foods to fill your tummy so you stay fuller longer

mushrooms are like 10 cals for 100g and lettuce is virtually nothing so you can eat a whole lettuce if need be.
    The other thing you can do is take psyllium husk

http://www.ergo-log.com/psyllium-boosts-chance-of-successful-weight-loss.html
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What kind of hungry? Want to eat hungry or can't sleep hungry? 1500 calories should be enough for you, but you may benefit from looking into what you are eating. Do you get enough protein, fat and vegetables? Do you eat varied? Or too much junk food? Or conversely, do you feel deprived, thinking you can never eat junk food?

Maybe not try your best to not eat after dinner (our minds are clever little animals and will find loopholes everywhere), but decide that you're not going to eat after dinner? If you have eaten enough, and well, you can safely do that. Of couse you will want to eat and eat, we would all like to eat and eat, but eating too much makes us overweight, so rewiring of brain is necessary to avoid weight gain and constantly feeling stressed out.
  • missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    How are you allocating your calories throughout the day? I'm also on an average of 1500 calories per day, and I tend to have a very small breakfast, which allows for a larger lunch and dinner as well as a planned snack/dessert on most days. You might want to consider planning out your day so that you leave a larger amount of calories for dinner and/or a planned snack in order to remain fuller in the evenings and not go over your calories.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i plan a pre-bed bowl of cereal into my calories every day - it doesn't get touched because I know that it helps me to sleep
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I like to save more calories for the evening because I don't like going to sleep feeling hungry. So I will skip breakfast or have a very small one.

So on 1500 calories, my day might look like:

Breakfast: 300 calories
    Lunch: 500 calories
    Dinner: 700 calories
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I always save about 200 calories for a snack after dinner. There is nothing wrong with eating late as long as it doesn't give you indigestion and interfere with your sleep, or put you over your calories. If you always feel hungry in the evening just plan on that and make sure you have some calories available.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    No harm in eating at night - just make room for it. The idea that meal timing prevents weight loss is a myth.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would ask is it hunger or appetite...or boredom.

I find in the evening about 730 I can get actually hungry...but most of the time it's habit/appetite/boredom.

If it is putting you over time to do a couple things.

Exercise a bit more to add in some extra calories
    Look at what you are eating and see if you can change it up to help keep you feeling fuller long such as more protein etc.
    Find a way to fit it in by giving up a higher calorie item.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Try eating your evening meal later.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    This is usually boredom and/or habit more than it is actual hunger.

I typically eat my dinner around 8:30PM so that keeps me from the whole boredom eating thing...I'm busier in the early evening, so it's not an issue.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For me I have found that hunger sometimes can be reversed as easy as drinking some water. For a late night snack I like grilled zucchini in my air fryer `with ICBINB and horse radish. Less than 100 calories and filling. One ounce of air popped popcorn is another low calorie filler I like with spices for flavoring. Sometimes I chew orbitz gum.
  • Kamille68
    Kamille68 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Have some high protein fat free yoghurt (skyr or fat free greek yoghurt or fat free cottage cheese ) as a planned late meal instead of an unplanned snack.

Thanks. That's a great idea. I have that problem sometimes too and I ate normal yoghurt but I will try skyr too.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    My last meal for the day is just before bed because I can't fall asleep otherwise. So I plan it into my allowance.
  • nani7722
    nani7722 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for all the suggestions.

I've decided to cut 100 calories from my breakfast, which I can easily survive, cuz I know lunch is coming soon, and plan for yogurt or skyr snack after dinner.

As well it is related to my previous bad habits to eat all the sweets and snacks after dinner, which I obviously skip now.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    nani7722 wrote: »
    Many thanks for all the suggestions.

I've decided to cut 100 calories from my breakfast, which I can easily survive, cuz I know lunch is coming soon, and plan for yogurt or skyr snack after dinner.

As well it is related to my previous bad habits to eat all the sweets and snacks after dinner, which I obviously skip now.

I wouldn't call that a bad habit...I eat sweets at night still and I lost lots of weight doing just that...1 chocolate bar every night cause I like chocolate.

it's about moderation not elimination.