So how exactly do I log THIS workout?

Options
Tonight I ran 3 (9-min) miles in a hilly development pushing a double stroller full of toddlers.

MFP gives me two choices:

"Running (jogging), 6.7 mph (9 min mile)"
OR
"Running (jogging), training, pushing wheelchair"

Here's my beef. The calorie difference is intense. If I select the 9-min mile for jogging, I've burned 319 calories. If I select "pushing wheelchair" I've only burned 236. wth??

Why is pushing the stinking stroller giving me LESS credit than if I'd run alone? I'm not falling for it. Why is there no option for "pushing wheelchair at a 9-minute mile" :explode: Those of you who push a double stroller know what I'm talking about. You're burning way MORE calories than just slogging along at a 9-min/mile pace.

No, I do not have a HRM, and yes, I am going to get one.

Advice?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Select the running and add 100 calories?
  • sgtaylor1
    sgtaylor1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    maybe google it then add the exercise and calorie count manually...
  • Pistolcoach
    Pistolcoach Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    count all of the running calories and half of the pushing a wheelchair calories, should be pretty close to accurate? right?
  • Dmax12
    Dmax12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

/agree
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm This site has that, i use it often :smile:
  • Broken_
    Broken_ Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Agree.. maybe even 150 cals... That's BOOKIN'!!!! Great job
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    split the difference.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    You need to stop worrying about calories and start worrying about toddlers with a speed addiction ;)

Actually - I would log the 9 minute mile - the calories are an approximation anyway given that its not based on your age, weight etc..
  • FallonMCal
    Options
    Not sure, but great job. The fastest I have done with my double jogger is 11 min miles. Those dang things are a pain to maneuver.
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    There is a formula I found on line that will give you calories burned and it has been pretty accurate for me so far.
    3.8 x 3.5 x weight divided by 200 x minutes
    Hope this helps!
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing "pushing wheelchair" actually means your in the seat pushing the chair....or at least that's my interpretation since that's one of the workouts I do.
  • mamathrash2
    mamathrash2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It is a shame that they don't calculate in the weight of the kids you are pushing!! I know when I am pushing my twin boys (65 pounds combined) in the double stroller that I burn way more calories than it gives credit for!! LOL
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The running with wheelchair doesn't take into account how fast you were running. Use the 9-min mile setting.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    I agree that I would google it and go from there. Great job btw!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Holy cow!! How do you do it? i might manage that speed on the new sidewalks in town, but any gravel/busted concrete/grass and I risk tipping them!

After seeing what you are going thru to get a believable estimate, I'm more glad than ever that I have an HRM. I wouldn't have known where to begin!
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options

good thought.

another good thought. I actually didn't know you could do that on MFP. I guess people who use HRMs need to do that because they're logging a more accurate calorie calculation....
    http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm This site has that, i use it often

awesome resource! Seems as general as MFP, but it's better than nothing.
    You need to stop worrying about calories and start worrying about toddlers with a speed addiction ;)

:laugh:
    Not sure, but great job. The fastest I have done with my double jogger is 11 min miles. Those dang things are a pain to maneuver.

Agreed, they're a PITA. I'm usually slower than that but I was showing off for DH (who doesn't normally run with me) and we were also trying to get home before the rain storms :blushing:
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    There is a formula I found on line that will give you calories burned and it has been pretty accurate for me so far.
    3.8 x 3.5 x weight divided by 200 x minutes
    Hope this helps!

cool. that DOES seem pretty accurate. At least it'll hold me til I shell out the $$ for the Garmin FR60 I'm looking at :love:
    I'm guessing "pushing wheelchair" actually means your in the seat pushing the chair....or at least that's my interpretation since that's one of the workouts I do.

You're probably spot on... I hadn't thought of that. thanks!
    It is a shame that they don't calculate in the weight of the kids you are pushing!! I know when I am pushing my twin boys (65 pounds combined) in the double stroller that I burn way more calories than it gives credit for!! LOL

seriously! i'm ready for a STEAK afterwards.

jarrettd, it's because i'm a beast. and I'm used to pushing them. You have to get over the scare of tipping them, they like the danger :wink: j/k!! My running stroller has an option for a fixed wheel in the front, and I tip it up off the ground when I'm rounding a tight corner. it's a good workout yo!