How do you improve your posture, does strengthening your cor

Options
I have noticed I slouch alot and when I straighten up I look so much better. How can I make myself more aware of my posture and can core strengthening help with it?

Replies

• Dmax12
    Dmax12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can always tie a pole to your back... for real :-) than in time it will become your natutral posture :-)
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    get a strip of sports tape and put it along your spine whilst standing up straight. every time you go to slouch, the tape will pull and you'll be reminded.

not quite so noticeable as a pole...:wink:
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I find that when I do stretches on a regular basis, it makes me carry my posture alot better. Mind you, I quite often have to remind myself to hold my stomach in which then makes you stand taller.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Core strength, improve leg strength, and your Rhomboids (middle upper back) can all help improve your posture.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    try to take note of when you are slouching, and correct it right away.

When I was in elementary school, I had a teacher that would dock marks off assignments, or give bonus marks, because of posture. This made me very aware of it at a young age, so it's something that is just natural for me now.
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    your abs are the counter muscle to your back. Most people with poor posture really have weak stomach muscles, not weak backs. I was in the Navy so I have the straight back thing down pat...not the strong abs :0)
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    According to my physical therapist core strengthening will improve your posture.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    STAND UP STRAIGHT! (That was meant to be in a grandmotherly voice)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Like any other "habit" it has to be payed attention to for 21 days straight so that it also becomes habitual. You can strengthen the muscles give you more upright support, but posture is more about paying attention to it than just strengthening the muscle. You could strengthen the muscle to their max and STILL have bad posture.
    One the best ways IMO to improve posture is to take up ballroom dancing.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    STAND UP STRAIGHT! (That was meant to be in a grandmotherly voice)

This pretty much sums it up.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I have found squats and deadlifts have done wonders for my posture.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    your abs are the counter muscle to your back. Most people with poor posture really have weak stomach muscles, not weak backs. I was in the Navy so I have the straight back thing down pat...not the strong abs :0)

Not entirely true. One CCSD that I follow was talking about how improving the Rhomboids does improve one's posture.
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great ideas, I am definitely going to try a few!