Weight loss and less back pain?

Options
Alpha12
Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
I've been experiencing increasing lower back pain lately. It used to be sporadic but now it almost borders on chronic. I have 2 things going on: SI joint pain and a touch of arthritis. I've been exercising all my life and now still do pilates, low-impact cardio and strength exercises. I do however have about 35 lbs to lose and even though I know that losing weight helps with back pain, I have not (believe it-or-not!) been properly motivated to finally lose the weight.

I would love to get some feedback on how losing weight has helped your back/joint pain. I need a kick in the butt. Thanks!

Replies

• justkeeprunning91
    Options
    I had terrible episodes of debilitating low back pain every few months before I started losing weight. I'm still struggling a bit but the pain in less severe and it's longer between episodes. I've lost about 30 lbs since my last serious injury, but it didn't all get better right away. I think what's done the most good for me is strength training. I'm just finishing up week 4 of strong curves, and I feel so much better. Strong curves focuses mostly on glutes, and it seems to take a lot of pressure off of my back in daily life. So long story short, the weight loss helped a little, strength training helped a lot, especially when combined with weight loss.
  • Alpha12
    Options
    Thank you very much for your replies. You both understand exactly how debilitating back pain can be. My recent episode was the first ever of such intensity that I was basically immobile for 4 days. Never again! I'm going to focus on doing my exercises and will have to find my own motivation to lose the weight. Thank you again.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    my lower back pain and frequent debilitating migraines both stopped almost totally when I lost weight (now have back pain once a year if I pull something, migraines occasionally feel like they're coming, but never get horrible). However, I had over 100 lb to lose, so that's a lot different. I still hope that your continued exercise & weight loss goals will help you to feel better and have less pain!
  • furiousmunchkin
    furiousmunchkin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm down 40lbs in six months and my lower back pain has definitely improved. It hardly bothers me anymore, and used to bother me daily.
  • Alpha12
    Options
    Thank you very much for your replies. I hope that you continue to be pain-free because back ache is awful. This is exactly what I need to hear.
  • TJnTexas
    TJnTexas Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    From my experience, shedding weight definitely helps with reducing back pain. I have spinal stenosis caused by cracks in the L4 and L5 and compression of the disk in between, along with arthritis all along the spine. The pressure on the spinal cord used to cause searing pain down both legs. Getting rid of close to 30 pounds and strengthening the core has eased the pain a lot, all through just walking (the doc says no lifting over 50 pounds or running). Good luck in your quest for a pain free life!
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Here is my personal recipe/experience with lower back pain.

Yes, losing weight did help with my lower back pain though it likely was more because my core was strengthening while losing the weight. It wasn't likely due to having the actual weight gone.

The stronger my abs/core are, the less my back pain is. Planks, planks, planks, and more planks.

The looser/more flexible my hamstrings are, the less my back pain is. Stretch, Stretch and more stretch.

When it is sore, get on it right away with ice and TENS.

Proper form in lifting is key for me as well, especially staying in plane while lifting things.

Good luck.
  • physio52
    physio52 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    SI joint pain much reduced after losing over 10kilos. Also snoring much less now so my O H is pleased!!
  • Alpha12
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. I am motivated to lose 35 lbs and we'll see how that goes. In the meantime, I continue with my daily exercised to strengthen my core and improve flexibility. Over the summer I've focused on weight workout and have neglected stretching. I found out quickly that it's not a good idea. Thanks again!
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I used to have terrible back pain! It started with bulging, then ruptured discs (L4-L5, L5-S1) but continued for years afterwards. I didn't notice any decrease in pain after losing about 30 pounds, but what DID help was when I started doing body squats.

Over the course of a few months I worked myself up to four sets of 25 *kitten*-to-ground squats a day, and the pain in my lower back is essentially gone. YAY!! I'm not a physiologist but I think that the squatting helped stretch and strengthen my hip flexors. Tight hip flexors can contribute to lower back pain, I've read.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is going to make a dramatic difference as far as back pain and joint pain.
    I lost 80 lb and been maintaining that lost for about a year.

Just to give you a little background on the 57 year old male 6-foot for about 208 pounds. Half an arthritic knee that needs to be replaced and I've had a double hip replacement 2 years ago with a chronic bad back since I've been about 20 years old.

Since I lost the weight I noticed I don't have back pain as much. I still have the occasional twinges where I'm stiffer. I still have one of those days and I don't go to the gym. I haven't been to a chiropractor in almost 18 months and I used to max out my benefits visiting a chiropractor.

As far as knee pain I have an arthritic knee that needs to be replaced and I live with pain but I used to have on a scale 1 to 10, at least the 7. Now the pain is more like a one or two more of an annoyance. I still can't do a lot of stuff but my pain level is dramatically lower
  • jcummings6
    jcummings6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    After I had my son I had the worse back pain, it would have me in tears to get in/out of my car for days. The episodes would be almost weekly and last a couple days. I kept chalking it up to having had a baby but as he was slowly approaching 2 years old I knew that my weight and lack of inactivity was to blame. I've lost 40 pounds and I would say that once the first 25 pounds came off I haven't had ANY back pain since. My back gets sore from exercising but not the sharp SI pain I had. Good luck to you!
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I used to always have a sore lower back. It hasn't bothered me in months. (Other than 1 specific episode that had an actual cause)

I think it was a combination of weight loss, and weight training that helped mine.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, and osteophytes (bone spurs) in my lumbar spine, which all happened before the ripe old age of 30 ;) . It's partly genetic, partly because of the stress my spine was under when I weighed 160kg / 350lbs. I'm down 68kg now, and except for sporadic arthritic pain during cold weather, I'm almost pain free. And this is pain free when running, gardening, working, and during an active lifestyle in general.

Weight loss will not guarantee a loss of back pain, but I bet my buttons that there'll be a great improvement. Less weight = less stress on your spine.

That being said, if you can afford to see a physiotherapist, go to one, because there might be some underlying causes to the back pain that you're not aware of. They can help with exercises to strengthen your core to help support your spine and make it less injury prone as well.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    When I was really overweight I had chronic back pain (extra weight, plus bad posture) and I would have sore knees and ankles if I stood for long periods. After dropping some weight all this pain went away. First of all, carrying around extra weight, especially a lot of extra weight, is going to exert more pressure on your joints. Another thing that helped with the back pain was just strengthening it through exercises. Your diet helps a lot too.
  • Aha123
    Aha123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am so inspired by each and every one of these post! Thank you all so very much! :smile:
    I too suffer from chronic lower back pain daily :neutral:
    I know weighing 239 pounds at 5'5 is stressful on my joints! Today I'm starting a new journey of hitting MFP calories and exercising slowly and consistently until I reach my first goal of 6 pounds off! Thanks again you all!!!
    Be blessed in your own journeys :smile:
  • Alpha12
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experiences here. I've only lost about 5 lbs from the date of my original post but my SI joint/lower back pain while still present, is much decreased. It may or may not be related to the little weight loss, but I've gone back to doing pilates most days of the week. I stream pilates from a fairly challenging instructor who puts a lot of thought into her weekly schedules, and I feel like stretches and core and glutes strengthening exercises help me tremendously. I love working out with heavier weights, but for now, I'll concentrate on losing weight and core/back strengthening exercises.

Again, thank you for sharing your stories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!