Questions on making homemade yogurt

Options
julslea
julslea Posts: 436 Member
Me and two of my friends are going to make homemade yogurt tomorrow in the crock pot. My questions is can we make 2 batches in a large crock pot ( I think it is 7 or 8 quarts)?
My other question is after we add in the yogurt starter and cover the pot with towels can we move the crock pot or does it need to sit stationary?

Hope these questions make sense. I'm real excited about trying this tomorrow.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    it doesn't help much, but I'm doing my very first homemade batch today. I followed the instructions on the culture starter, poured into sterile glass containers, wrapped them in clean burp rags, and placed them in empty crockpot on "keep warm". I covered the top with an old clean towel so it's dark and retains the warmth. I hope they turn out okay. Sorry that wasn't more helpful.
    Worse comes to worse, I'll at least have good kefir!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Making homemade yogurt sounds like fun! Let us know how it goes!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I've made this a few times. I've never doubled the batch, so not sure how that would go.
    I can tell you from trial & error, when it tells you to turn off the crock and let it set...cover it then with the towels. I put mine in the oven (turned off) so room temp (especially, if you're running AC) doesn't affect it. Then, after you add the yogurt starter, cover again in the towels and put in the oven. It thickens better this way.
    It's better if you don't have to use your oven, so it can be left in there, untouched. The temperature does matter.
  • wildkiger
    Options
    Hi Julslea. I have never made yogurt in a crock pot, but I have made yogurt before with a cool little yogurt maker. Are you putting the pre-yogurt into jars in the crockpot or just making it a huge batch in the crockpot? Either way, I don't think making one batch or two will make much of a difference aside from longer times cooking and setting. I'd highly suggest putting it in jars before you let it set, though. It's easier to keep that way.

Good luck! Homemade yogurt is the BEST! ...aside from Greek yogurt, lol.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I will go ahead and double the batch and put it in the large crockpot unless my friends bring their crock pots. I will also put the pot in the oven to let it set.
    Dr.Bork let me know how your first attempt turns out.
    I'll report back either tomorrow or Wednesday!
  • BIGBATBASTARD
    Options
    This might fall along the same line as homemade nut butter.