Question for Shorties 5'1 and under

Options
I'm just starting my health journey. I'm just under 5'1" and weigh 145.
- How was your weight loss progress?
- I use up 1200 plus about half my exercise calories. Will I still be able to loose weight?
- I burn only about 300 calories at the gym every day.
Thank you !

Replies

• timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome! I'm 5' tall and I started at 139.5 almost 10 years ago (currently 119). My progress was halting and cyclical and slow; the first few pounds would be super easy, but then every time I'd start cutting weight I'd get too gung-ho and binge/burn out. I've gained and lost the same weight multiple times, so in an effort to never have to yo-yo again I'm aiming for really modest goals this time: a 100-200 calorie deficit (more on active days). My maintenance is 1490, plus 300-500 in exercise calories.

Of course you will be able to lose weight no matter what your TDEE is; for those of us on the smaller end, the margins of error are just a bit smaller. So:
    • Track as accurately as possible.
    • Be patient, be consistent.
    • Maintain a deficit small enough that you're not tempted to binge.
    • Round out your workout routine; if you're only doing cardio, try adding in some weight/interval training. Try different types of cardio too.

Most of these tips are general, and I can't claim to have everything figured out, but these are just some things that I find help me stick to CICO on a tight calorie budget. Hope that helps!
  • 76chelyn
    76chelyn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I myself have yo-yo'd my entire adult life. I'm trying not to be so strict this time. Something more realistic. Again thank you for your input. I really appreciate it!
  • 76chelyn
    Options
    Thank you!
    If you don't mind telling me how often and how much do you exercise? How long have you been trying to lose weight?
  • 76chelyn
    Options
    Wow I didn't realize how much metabolism slows as we get older. I will be 41 next month.

I can't believe how little calories you eat and how much time you spend in the gym. Well thank you for giving me a reality check!!!

My Short term goal is 133. Long term is 115. I will get there it just may take longer than expected.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 lost from 130 to a maintenance range of 100-105 in 2008-09- and am still maintaining that loss.

My calorie goal all the way through was 1200 sedentary and I ate back 200 cals per hour of exercise, I averaged it out after a few months of logging. (A higher burn Zumba class made up for a lower burn fast walk). In general I worked out 1hr 6 days a week.

Initially I lost at 1lbs a week, but this slowed as I lost and by the time I was 5-8lbs from goal it was about 1 lbs a month if I was lucky. I also cut 25-50 cals from my exercise cals for the last few lbs.

Logging accuracy is important, as is making sure you are well fuelled.

I very early on found that trying to cut way back on eating my exercise calories was counter productive- I would work out, then barely move the rest of the day so burnt even less calories.

Cheers, h.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I'm 51 years old. I currently weigh 118. I'm on 1200 calories a day. I workout 6 days a week, 90 plus minutes a session. I eat back about half of my calories.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    76chelyn wrote: »
    Wow I didn't realize how much metabolism slows as we get older. I will be 41 next month.

I can't believe how little calories you eat and how much time you spend in the gym. Well thank you for giving me a reality check!!!

My Short term goal is 133. Long term is 115. I will get there it just may take longer than expected.

Ones metabolism does slow as one ages. For us petite ladies it is about 50 calories a decade.
    This means I should get 200 cals less a day now at 64 than I did at 24.

However, this is a general estimate that assumes as one ages one moves less and therefore loses muscle and bone density as well as having a lower NEAT. If one keeps active, or even becomes more active (like me), one can off set the decrease in calories to some extent.

Ie. if I run my numbers through calculators with no body fat percentage taken into account I lose calories at the rate stated above.

If I run my numbers with a 25% body fat (my visual estimate is 23-25) my numbers are the same (at 64yo) as if I was 24yo. That is pretty close to my real life maintenance of 1600.

Keeping moving during the day, and with exercise, and retaining muscle and bone density, this is why doing some type of resistance work is so important, makes all the difference.

Age does make a difference, but it doesn't have to be a huge difference.

Cheers, h.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I work out for an hour 4 days a week before work- 10 miles on a stationary bike for 35 min, 10 min rowing, then push-ups, crunches and hand weights. I do the cardio pretty intensively (drenched in sweat). I give myself 185 calories for that but it's closer to 275. I'm adding in a spinning class a couple of evenings a week and heavy weights this week. I'm trying to get from 128 to 121 before Christmas.

It doesn't seem like my metabolism has slowed much but I've slowed a little.
  • haniame
    haniame Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I’m 5ft1 and in 2012 my starting weight was 145 lbs too. I lost 50 lbs over the course of 9 months and i have managed to gain only 15 lbs since 2014 - now. I am currently at 107-109 lbs and i want to lose 3-5 lbs by Christmas. You can privately message me if you want to discuss my workout routine and diet plan.
  • ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1'' and I've lost more or less 100 pounds. I was eating 1700 calories and burnt around the same at the gym. Later on I was eating 1200-1500 calories and the last 40 pounds I lost without counting calories so I don't really know how many of those I was eating but I guess around 1400-1800 calories a day.

Since you workout I'd say if you feel too weak and tired with 1200 calories, add a 200 calorie snack and you'll be fine.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Following... in all these shorty threads I rarely see people say they are sedantary. There is usually a lot of active people. Would be interested to hear what a short sedantary maintenance looks like. Btw... well done on all that activity, just awesome :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I very early on found that trying to cut way back on eating my exercise calories was counter productive- I would work out, then barely move the rest of the day so burnt even less calories.

so much this.

! dropped from 147lb to 128 fairly smoothly just by taking up running. But then as my running intensity increased I realised I needed to eat to fuel it, and am now struggling to lose more. It probably doesn't help that I'm not so consistent with logging and can end up blowing my lovely nice daily average at the weekend putting me at maintenance.

1200 plus some of your exercise calories seems a good fit for many. My BMR is about 1285 so in theory I should lose on anything under 1500 calories.

@TorStar80 for me, part of my focus (actually probably MORE of my focus) is on getting fitter. Gradual increases in fitness make me naturally eat a healthier diet, and in fact a bit less (it's hard to move when stuffed with pizza....). The fitter I am the happier I am, so I'm not interested in being sedentary. Sedentary won't get me the body I want (nice shapely curves without wobbly bits). Sedentary won't help my heart and the rest of my organs process my living needs properly. I'd far rather be active than sedentary. I don't think of 'exercise' as being hours and hours in the gym, but just being more ACTIVE. Getting out and going for walks, runs, cycles etc. Walking rather than using the car etc.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - that is definitely optimal, and I agree with you. I just wanted to see what calories look like with that lifestyle. I think in losing weight it’s almost natural to feel more motivated and want to be active... for me this is definitely true. But I am curious.