Any Ladies 5'6-5'7 about 130ish Maintaining

Options

Replies

• athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When you say you maintain on xxxx (1800 cal, for example) and exercise x days per week, does that include eating back your exercise calories, or are the calories burned from exercise extra on top of your base (1800, for example)?
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and I probably maintain at around 1800 - my diary is set at 1650, but I'm not super careful about my logging so I usually miss enough calories to make up the difference. I'm at 135 right now but I've been horrible and usually maintain at 125-30. I eat back some exercise calories, but I don't exercise very much :( .
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    athena61 wrote: »
    When you say you maintain on xxxx (1800 cal, for example) and exercise x days per week, does that include eating back your exercise calories, or are the calories burned from exercise extra on top of your base (1800, for example)?

I'm wondering about this too, I'm honestly confused about the whole eating back calories thing
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I had no idea about this like two weeks ago. It is the way MyFitnessPal does things.

The goal - for maintaining weight - is to have Caloric Intake = Caloric Output. Clearly, for loosing weight, Caloric Intake < Caloric Output and for gaining weight, Caloric Intake > Caloric Output.

So, there are two sides to the equation: In and Out!

Caloric Intake is essentially the food that you consume. Be it solid or liquid!

Caloric Output is essentially BMR + activity. BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate and Activity is, well, your Physical Activity.

I do not understand how the "Eat 50% of your activity calories burned back" fits into the equation. I am pretty sure that there is an article somewhere on how and why MFP does this. I will find it....
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Once I hit maintenance, I switched to TDEE, which includes your exercise calories into the formula. So 2200 is what I eat no matter how I exercise that day. It works for me because my exercise is very consistent. If yours is not, stick with NEAT.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. Now I feel like a cow. :/ I'm 5'6, 49 1/2, and went from 214 to 149 and thought I was all that for hitting my 'goal' of 150.

I weighed 140 in the 9th grade. (I remember that specifically because my bratty younger sister told the boy I was crushing on lol) I've had 2 children - one by c section, and a total hysterectomy last year. (they used my old c section scar to go in) That causes a lovely pouch. Sigh.

Is it realistic for me to get to 130? I currently have a 1200 calorie limit. I run 4 days of the week and cross train on one day. Sedentary job.

I feel like Jon Snow. I know nothing. Apparently.
  • Aw0627
    Options
    Oh dear. Now I feel like a cow. :/ I'm 5'6, 49 1/2, and went from 214 to 149 and thought I was all that for hitting my 'goal' of 150.

I weighed 140 in the 9th grade. (I remember that specifically because my bratty younger sister told the boy I was crushing on lol) I've had 2 children - one by c section, and a total hysterectomy last year. (they used my old c section scar to go in) That causes a lovely pouch. Sigh.

Is it realistic for me to get to 130? I currently have a 1200 calorie limit. I run 4 days of the week and cross train on one day. Sedentary job.

That's an amazing accomplishments, I'm 34 never had any kids and my stomach still isn't flat so I'm kinda obsessing over it I'm actually OK with where the rest of my body is expect my boob's they are sad and gone. Your weight is what ever is best for you where you feel and look your best to you, if you feel like you want to get to 130 sure it not unrealistic if that's what you want go for it
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I do not understand how the "Eat 50% of your activity calories burned back" fits into the equation. I am pretty sure that there is an article somewhere on how and why MFP does this. I will find it....

It's usually recommended to eat back 50% because many estimates of calorie burns during exercise are over-inflated, and if people eat all of them they may not lose weight. If you start with 50% (i.e. if your activity tracker, treadmill or whatever says you burned 300 calories, only eat 150 extra) and monitor your weight for a while, you can adjust the amount you eat based on your results.

That is, if you're not losing as expected then your estimated burns may be too high, so you could lower the percentage you eat back. If you lose faster than expected, you can increase to 75% or even 100%, depending on how accurate you feel your estimates are.

The reason it's counted separately is that the method MFP uses to calculate your daily goal is based on your general activity level and doesn't include additional exercise - so if you're sedentary, you get a lower goal but can increase the amount you eat via purposeful exercise. If you have a very active job, you'll get a higher base goal.

Where some people go wrong is they list themselves as "active" because they go for a daily jog or bike ride, for example, but then they also log that jog or bike ride as separate exercise (or their FitBit or other synced tracker does so) and are granted additional calories for it when it's already included in their daily goal.
  • SueSueDio
    Options

Please don't "feel like a cow"! You've done a great job reaching your goal! *hugs*

I do get where you're coming from, though, because I'm the same height and currently 152 (from 217), and seeing all these ladies who weigh 130 or less does make me wonder if I should aim lower. My goal is 140lbs, which I was in my late teens/early twenties, but I think I could be okay with 145. The top end of the healthy BMI range for 5'6" is 154.5lbs (some people don't like the BMI chart but I feel it's a decent general guideline), so we're fine where we are. :) I'm not small-framed or fine-boned, and I imagine those ladies who are would be closer to the bottom end of the scale. I'll just be happy to stay in the "normal" range after being obese for so long. ;)

If you feel like you want to aim for 130lbs then go for it, but don't let anyone make you feel bad if you're happy where you are now!
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6.5'' currently 142 and losing baby weight but I previously maintained a range of 134-138 eating 1800 calories a day. I was very active, road cycling for 60 minutes 3x a week and lifting heavy 3x a week for 60 minutes. I also walk about 10,000 steps per day. I'm still quite active and I'm losing .5lbs a week at about 1600 calories a day.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    A little shorter here, just under 5'5". I'm maintaining at about 116 lb with about a 5 lb window around that 116. Body fat is about 24%.

I lift twice a week (OHP and deadlifts on Tuedays, bench and squat on Thursdays) and some Strong Curves as accessories. I average 14644 steps per day. My experimentally determined TDEE is about 1950 Cal/day.
  • daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    41 and 5'6", currently around 126lbs (been cutting) soon to go back to maintenance. To lose I am at 1530 calories/day and am losing about .5lb a week. I lift 5 days a week with active rests and run 5 days a week an average of 30 minutes a run. To maintain I will move up to about 1800 - 1900 since that is where I maintained prior but at a higher weight of around 135lbs. I did not do nearly as much cardio then, though.

I had the same issue with figuring out my macros because all the calculators say different things. This calculator was the one I went with and so far it has been spot on. It uses an average of daily calorie intake which I found made the calculator a bit more accurate.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6". I've been around 130 lbs since last October. I'm still wanting to get down lower. I did it the summer of 2016 but the weight crept back on with lack of logging :( or misbehaving. :p
    • Maintenance cals - 1750 (what MFP gave me)
    • Normal exercise routine- 10 min treadmill warmup, lift weights 3x week, mowing with bagger 2x week. (I've been known to do some HIIT workouts, too. I'm all over the place with exercise. The lifting is the only thing that stays consistent. More cardio is needed for me, this I know.)
    • Weight fluctuation - 5 lbs
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I've been "following" this post since Day 1, and it's still blowing my mind. I started at around 270 (in the 220's now) and CANNOT imagine being even CLOSE to 130. I've been thinking I'd be happy at 180.... How even does 130 look on people our height??!
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, maintain at 120 lbs. I eat the same amount every day despite if I workout or not, it just works best for me. I'm very active and workout 60-90 minutes 5-6 days a week. I maintain at 2850 calories. My weight fluctuates very little, within a 2 lb range max. If i move outside that range I'm either starting to lose or gain.
  • Venetia27
    Venetia27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think my metabolism must be broken!
    I'm 43, 5'6" - just been losing baby weight, and currently stuck at 130 - and I'm not sure if I'm active or not?

-I just run around all day after kids never getting to sit down for long, and walk to do school and preschool runs carrying a 30 pound toddler on my back in a sling, and pushing a 40 pound preschooler in a buggy while doing so!
    I only get out for a short (20 minutes) run 2 or 3 times a week. I am still breastfeeding (loads) though so you would think that would given me extra calories, but I seem to be maintaining at 1550...
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

Everyones body is different, if I weighed 130 Id start to look unhealthy, I was 136 and was perfectly happy between that and 140, and thats where my goal is again.
  • Aw0627
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I've been "following" this post since Day 1, and it's still blowing my mind. I started at around 270 (in the 220's now) and CANNOT imagine being even CLOSE to 130. I've been thinking I'd be happy at 180.... How even does 130 look on people our height??!

Honestly, it depends on the person I started out at 204, and I originally wanted to only get down to 150 that's how much my sister weighs and she looks great, but me at 150 I still looked chubby so I decided to lose more, even though I thought it was impossible. When you get to 180 it might be perfect for you, everyone's different as long as you're healthy and feel good about yourself, do what's best for you.
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    I've been "following" this post since Day 1, and it's still blowing my mind. I started at around 270 (in the 220's now) and CANNOT imagine being even CLOSE to 130. I've been thinking I'd be happy at 180....

I'd suggest maybe getting to your goal of 180 and consider maintaining for a couple of months, and see how you feel. If you like the way you look and feel, then by all means stay there! :) If you think you'd like to lose a bit more, go for another 10lbs and re-evaluate. There's nothing to say that your first "goal" has to be your final one.

My initial goal was 160, because I had no confidence in my ability to get any lower than that! After seeing a bit of success, and also realising that 160 was still "overweight", I revised my goal to 150. (I've been close - made it to 150.5 a couple of times!) After a few more months of success, and thinking about the weight I used to be, I revised again to 140. I can't imagine, right now, being 130 or less... but if I do make it to 140 and decide I'd like to be a bit slimmer, at least I have the tools now to aim for it!

Like @WandaVaughn I was around 145 on my wedding day 28 years ago, and I wanted to fit into my wedding dress again - plus I had a couple of other dresses from that time that I wanted to fit. I can actually wear all but one of them now, even though I'm a few pounds heavier (but my wedding dress was a forgiving style... ;) ), but I'd still like to lose a few more!

How even does 130 look on people our height??!

Here's a couple of sites with photos of regular women (i.e. not models!) at different weights/heights - I've been through some of these galleries before and it's quite amazing how much difference body shape and composition makes. Even when they're all the same height and weight, they all look a bit different and some definitely look smaller than others!

http://www.mybodygallery.com/

http://www.height-weight-chart.com/506-130.html