Garbanzo chickpeas

Options
Hi all,

So I've been a big fan of the Garbanzo dry roasted chickpeas for some time now. I nearly always have a lack with my lunch, and sometimes when I cba to find anything else I'll have an extra bag as a snack!

However. I've been logging these as 88cals...and have now found out that these have been mis-labelled and are actually around 250.

This means I have been eating a lot more than I thought, and this is particularly relevant as I have been trying to do a slow bulk/reverse diet. I posted recently, freaking out at how fast I'd been gaining!

So. If I cut these out..will my weight stabilise, do you reckon? I'm annoyed that I've been overeating for years without realising!

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yup, calories in calories out. You discovered why you were gaining so fast -- a miscalculation in calories. A lot of us discover things like this. Remember, the MFP database is a hodgepodge of automatic- and member-input information. I often check things against the USDA's NDL/FNIC to get information that helps me verify entries in the MFP database. Here's a link to that database: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/

Also, consult the information on the labels of commercial products to make sure you are getting the right numbers. Oftentimes, the same product differs a good deal from place to place, e.g. Nutella is a very different product in the US from Nutella in Australia with different numbers. Also, sizes, including serving sizes, can differ over time in the labels of individual products.
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yup, calories in calories out. You discovered why you were gaining so fast -- a miscalculation in calories. A lot of us discover things like this. Remember, the MFP database is a hodgepodge of automatic- and member-input information. I often check things against the USDA's NDL/FNIC to get information that helps me verify entries in the MFP database. Here's a link to that database: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/

Also, consult the information on the labels of commercial products to make sure you are getting the right numbers. Oftentimes, the same product differs a good deal from place to place, e.g. Nutella is a very different product in the US from Nutella in Australia with different numbers. Also, sizes, including serving sizes, can differ over time in the labels of individual products.

Yup, lesson learned - also a valuable lesson about intuitive eating.

Annoyingly, I was basing my logging off what the calories said on the actual packet - so false marketing!!
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Yep, lesson learned! I'm all too familiar with the inaccuracies on the MFP database - my logging was actually based on the nutritional information stated on the pack. However, turns out that this company has been falsely marketing the nutritional info!