Keto??

Options
I'm thinking about starting keto? Looking for advice and help I am trying to lose weight and change my life style.. any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• VanillaBeanFrap
    Options
    Protein will be your bff! Stock up on a lot of beef jerky for snacks, meat, fish, and veggies. Try a lot of different flavours so you don’t get bored as well. For example one night pair your brócoli and chicken dish with asian flavours and a pinch of soy sauce! Another night, try spicy food! Good luck!!
  • joegibbs2112
    joegibbs2112 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great post kommodevaran! I might add, think of food as different drugs for your health. It's important to take the right doses. I follow to some extent the ZONE DIET which works well with MYFITNESSPAL.
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,801 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to eat less and/or move more. It's that simple, but it's not necessarily easy, because you have to do it, not just try, and do it for real, not just think you are, and do it consistently, so you can't cheat or forget, and for a long time, so it has to make you happy, every day, and you will regain unless it's the lifestyle, and not just the weightloss, that makes you happy.

How you go about it to lose weight, is of relatively little importance, but contrary to common belief, and indeed intuition, big and ambitious changes are not as effective as simple but coherent adjustments over time, to habits, attitudes and environment.

What matters is that the changes you implement, are easy for you to stick to, and that you stick to them. If they aren't, and you don't, it's not a lifestyle change, it's just another diet, and you will regain as surely as there will be a new day tomorrow. Don't go on a diet. Make a lifestyle change, just like you said. Keto may or may not be a good match for you.

Fabulous! So perfectly expressed.
  • ottbbabe2002
    ottbbabe2002 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find Keto has been the best diet for me, but its a very personal thing. I find I can eat less calories and feel full compared to a higher carb diet. In this sense I don't feel like I'm dieting as I am not as hungry all the time. This helps me avoid binging. It is easy to stick to long term, but I find it to be a very strict diet in the sense that you will need to completely eliminate high carb foods like bread and pasta to be consistently staying in keto range. If you are a carb fiend this might feel very restrictive. It is also a diet which goes much better when you enjoy cooking, there are many fabulous keto recipes, but the options in restaurants are limited (you will get tired of chicken salads). If you try keto the key is to eat lots of 'good' fats from sources like avocados', egg's and plain greek yogurt. I find trying to plan meals with a source of lean protein (turkey, eggs), a source of fat (half an avocado or greek yogurt) and then a large helping of veggies. Nuts are a great snack, but always measure the amount, they are very calorie dense. Also watch your dairy intake, many dairy products are low carb but are high calorie so they can hinder weight loss. There is of course a lot of trial and error involved, but if it works for you its a great diet. Good luck!
  • mirandiiiii
    mirandiiiii Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm doing keto! Add me and we'll keep eachother motivated! :)
  • KetoPhillip
    KetoPhillip Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've been on the keto diet and so far I've lost 38lbs. If you do decide to do it I wish you the best. First 3days will be rough but after that your body will adapt to no sugar. Good luck on what ever you choose to do.
  • britt_2007_89
    britt_2007_89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    carmen3220 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about starting keto? Looking for advice and help I am trying to lose weight and change my life style.. any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm also doing Keto. I lost nearly 20 lbs in 40 days. I'm teetering at -17 right now as I had a few set backs. I'm extremely motivated this week. Be awesome to reach the -25 mark! Add me for inspo :)
  • jennpolkmoore
    jennpolkmoore Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keto since July 21st for me, and I've lost 25 lbs. I LOVE it because I'm never hungry and still get to eat great food.
  • MathPsiPi
    MathPsiPi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey. I did keto for a few months and lost a bunch of weight. You have to be deciplined when doing this diet and be sure to do it properly. Always exercise and drink plenty of water. For me this diet was great to get some excess fat off fast. However it is not a diet to maintain long time. You will likely lose some msucle doing this. I would do it periodically or every once in a while just to keep my fat in check. Also look into intermittent fasting to compliment the keto diet. Works great! Good luck!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the following main low carb daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Neaton2965
    Neaton2965 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just started keto add me and lets rock!! this keto
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    Options
    I'm only doing low carb at the moment and am pondering whether to do keto....

Low carb is quite an adjustment in your way of eating, so be sure you are mentally ready and prepared for that before you start. Otherwise, simple calorie restriction will also give you weight loss. I would seriously consider if keto is definitely what you want, or if low carb would be sufficient.

My advice, number 1: when people tell you to increase your salt intake DO AS THEY SAY! Seriously, they're not joking. Make sure you keep your sodium levels up - you want a MINIMUM of 3000mg sodium per day. I'll often make a drink of hot water and a stock cube in the evening to hit my sodium intake. Other people do it by adding plenty of salt to all of their meals throughout the day.

Start by clearing out your cupboards of high carb foods such as pasta, rice, grains, potatoes, bread etc etc and restocking with plenty of low carb foods. Don't forget to include plenty of snacks so that if you do get hungry you have a low carb snack ready to go (it's tricky finding a low carb snack in most vending machines!).

Then for the first week or so, log all of your food, but concentrate only on keeping your carbs below whichever level you have set (I assume when you say keto, you mean <50g/day, or possibly <20gday) and your sodium levels high enough - don't worry about calories/fat/protein etc. This will get you into the habit of logging (making sure you weigh your food, buy a food scale if you don't already have one) and will be quite eye opening in terms of learning which foods are truly "low carb".

Once you've got a handle on low carbing, then is the time to start tweaking the rest of your food intake. Is your protein intake sufficient? What is your typical calorie intake? Do you need to reduce your calories? Since you are wanting to lose weight, then only use enough fat in your meals to stop yourself getting hungry - don't be seduced by the promise of "fat bombs" and start piling cheese and cream on everything in sight. You need some fat, and by all means use it for cooking, sauces etc but don't go overboard - you want to be encouraging your body to burn YOUR fat reserves, not the fat you've added to your dinner :smiley:

I absolutely adore this way of eating and am only considering keto because of other health issues I think ma benefit from eating that way. Otherwise, I'd very happily stick with low carb and be able to eat all my veggies and some fruits.
  • TimothyB75
    TimothyB75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Give it a try
    I like it and find it works for me. I focus on eating low carbs and high protein
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Just one tip... make sure you understand it properly before starting. A lot of people seem to misunderstand or abuse Keto, and don't end out with enough nutrients as a result. I do high fat, moderate protein, low carb. This doesn't mean I don't have plenty of veg. It means I have the right kinds of veg. When I've shifted another stone I will be increasing the carbs slowly until I reach a point I am steadily maintaining my weight.
  • JDeCory
    JDeCory Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started the Ideal Protein Alternatives diet which is a keto diet. I'm excited about it as I have a friend who has followed the diet now for several months and has had great success. You can do the official Ideal Protein diet by going to a clinic but it's expensive. The Ideal Protein Alternatives diet is a lot cheaper. Best way to get started is search for Ideal Protein Alternative on Facebook and join the group. Lots of info there. Good luck!