Fighting the Pain

Options
I am new here and have gained a ton of weight since I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, specifically in my spine (spondylitis). I struggle to get out of bed, walk, etc., which has caused severe depression and I have gone to fasting with minimal success. I just wonder what has worked for others who are limited and take a lot of pills daily (14+ depending on the day). I have lost some weight but want to lose 100+ and having doctors tell me I will be in a wheelchair in 5 years is deflating. Any help would be much appreciated; I want to be here for my wife and kids for a long time.

Thank you

Replies

• mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a therapy pool? Maybe a PT trained to deal with your diagnosis? Hopefully your doctors/nurses can give you more ideas/resources.
  • jenniecorey
    jenniecorey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at 40yo. My doctor has recommended that I try low carb or keto diet. Only recently lost weight due to getting off prednisone and really watching what I eat. I know getting off certain medicine isn't gonna happen for some people. I also take methotrexate injection once a week but try to keep active by walking as much as possible. Take your time and I pray you feel better. Lots of people still don't understand the side effects of just having arthritis.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm sorry about everything you're going through, must be terrible. Like they said above just create a calorie deficit. And therapy is a good idea, especially the pool. My dad used that when he had a completely shattered leg and they made him do that to help get the blood flowing for healing and to build up some strength
  • bigjsav
    bigjsav Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas and kind words. I will be looking in to the pool and other light therapy. I think having to be on mess is the hardest part due to all the side effects and they usually make me feel like a zombie lol. But I will push through and lose the weight I need to lose. Thank you all again!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    If you lose some weigh you might find yourself in less pain and more easily able to move around. I hope you stick with the calorie deficit to lose the weight. Good luck, and you CAN do this. Stay on the boards and read for inspiration.
  • ashtree42
    ashtree42 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've had mild psoriatic arthritis since I was a teenager. Now in my 30s it's recently become significantly worse, though I think mine qualifies as 'moderate' now. I understand how hard it is to be active, and the depression that leads to. When every motion hurts, sitting up, walking down the steps, opening a cabinet, even reading a book takes more energy because it hurts to turn the pages.

For weight loss, I am trying to keep a calorie deficit. I don't go too severe (I'm targeting 0-0.5 lb loss per week). I struggle so much with having enough energy that I find it best to avoid lower calorie goals. Slow and steady.

For exercise, I do what I can each day. Some days that is nothing. Some days I can do an extra 30 min walk at lunch. Some days I can even do a run/walk or a basic weight routine. Swimming is really a wonderful option - really the best for bad joints, unfortunately it doesn't fit in my schedule right now, hopefully you can get into that. Stretching, like yoga can relieve pain over time. I've found focusing on building strength helps a lot, because being stronger helps take strain off the joints (I notice that a lot on my legs - knees, hips, and I think might apply to your back, but that doesn't help the trouble in my hands).

Can you see a Physical Therapist to help determine what exercises are best for you?
  • bigjsav
    bigjsav Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I want to say thanks to everyone who posted so far. I have cut my calories and have lost about 5 pounds in a week. I still have a long way to go but I pushing through the pain as much as I can and I will meet my goal. Thank you all for the inspiration