Pumpkin Sage Farro Pilaf?

Options
I was reading another food board and found a reference to this product. It looks amazing but I think it's only sold at Whole Foods Market. The closest one to me is about 30 miles away, before I take that trip, i'm wondering if anyone has tried it? Is it worth the 60 miles round trip?

67c3wqet9qdd.jpg

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You can order farro (they call it spelt berries) from Bob's red mill. We just had some tonight with french lentils in a spinach/parsley/cream/parmesan sauce with mushrooms cooked with shallots, lemon zest, lemon juice & tamari soy sauce. I used a recipe for a spinach risotto for inspiration. I'm sure you could use any pumpkin risotto recipe to come up with a version of this. If you couldn't find one for pumpkin, there are lots of butternut squash & sage risotto recipes that can serve as a model.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas! I do have farro in my cupboard right now, but this just looks so yummy...and easy :smiley:
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    60 miles just for boxed rice? Can't see that ending in anything other than disappointment.
  • shandy82165
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    60 miles just for boxed rice? Can't see that ending in anything other than disappointment.

I get that. There will for sure be other items that I would probably buy while i'm there, but yeah, the impetus to go is that rice.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Like stated above, I've also made a homemade version of this - pumpkin sage risotto, with chix broth, fresh pumpkin chunks, sage, onions, butter and Parmesan cheese. Yum!!!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    looks very similar to a forksoverknives recipe I made that had barley and sweet potato in it (you cook farro roughly the same, and could substitute pumpkin for the sweet potatos) - I think it was 30min cook time overall
  • shandy82165
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Amazon Prime = free shipping :)

If only it were that easy! (I checked and nada)
  • shandy82165
    Options
    looks very similar to a forksoverknives recipe I made that had barley and sweet potato in it (you cook farro roughly the same, and could substitute pumpkin for the sweet potatos) - I think it was 30min cook time overall

Do you have that a link to that recipe by any chance? It sounds delicious!
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I tried this (I'm pretty sure it was this brand, but not 100%) and it was god awful. Far too salty and gummy, didn't really taste of much of anything else. I still think it sounds fabulous, so I'm going to try crazyravr's suggestion.
  • shandy82165
    Options
    maryannprt wrote: »
    I tried this (I'm pretty sure it was this brand, but not 100%) and it was god awful. Far too salty and gummy, didn't really taste of much of anything else. I still think it sounds fabulous, so I'm going to try crazyravr's suggestion.

Thank you, i'm glad I didn't make a trip to get it.

Thanks for the link, i'll check it out!