How often do you switch up your workout?

Options
cheekyfilly
cheekyfilly Posts: 6 Member
edited September 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Evening all, I'm curious to know how long you guys all stick with the same "routine" for or do you use a different workout every day? I'm lucky that I have enough time to do a full body workout whenever I am in the gym but would grateful for some idea as to when I should change the plan... thanks in advance

Replies

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm a big Tony Horton fan and his philosophy of muscle confusion. I do the P90 and the P90X which both are a three-month series. In both programs he changes up the workouts after 1 month. For me I really enjoy this as it add some variation to my workout instead of doing the same thing over and over.

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I mix it up when I find I am not progressing. Occasionally something sparks my interest (like trying to do 10 full pull-ups) and then I focus on specific muscles to meet that purpose.
    Truth be told I could do the same full body workout everyday, I do enjoy it. However I definitely do not see many gains when I stop mixing it up.
  • nw623
    nw623 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I get bored doing the same exercises at the gym every session, so I vary my routine almost daily in some form or another. One day I might do skull crushers, another I'll do dumbbell kickbacks. It also depends on the day. I also gauge what my body is feeling. Every gym session is a full body workout, but some areas get more focus than others sometimes.

Others may have their opinion about whether this is good or not, but it works for me. In essence, my thinking is that if I am bored mentally, then I am probably bored physically.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've been a cyclist all my life. When I get bored or there's a nice weekend, I take my bike somewhere new and scenic to ride.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I organize my training into 5-7 week training blocks where I add progressively more volume every week until I deload the final week. I might change things like exercise selection, progression scheme rep ranges and/or intensity ranges from block to block.
  • vlnielsen519
    vlnielsen519 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym but work out at home with Fitness Blender. They have a program called "Bored Easily" that is for people who want to change it up every day. Check it out! It's a 4 week program for $10. Once you buy it, you can use it as many times as you want.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    At my gym, we can meet with our personal trainer every 6 weeks and change our routine based on new/revised goals.
  • PeteLincoln2910mfp
    PeteLincoln2910mfp Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try to mix things up. I do a machine weights workout, a free weights workout, a cardio only day, fitness blender and hasfit youtube sessions......
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I also do fitness blender videos at home for my exercise, and follow their programes. Every day is different so no boredom or routine really. I also walk regularly, I try changing my track to change things up - add hills, or different hills that sort of thing.