Keto and carbs

Options
I'm new to keto as I've just discovered it after struggling with weight gain and polycystic ovaries since I was about 13. I've been looking around to find a good percentage of carbs to eat on the keto diet but I can't seem to find anyone who agrees. What percentage of carbs do you guys eat in a day?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto is usually considered to be under 20-50g of carbs per day. Some go higher (more active metabolically healthy people) and some go lower (often those with insulin resistance or who need high ketones for medical reasons).

I do best when I keep carbs under 20g. I feel my best the closer I get my carbs to zero due to intestinal and energy issues. For me, that's about 0-5% carbs. Others go as high as 10 or 15%. I would guess 5-10% is the norm for ketosis.
  • ketofire51
    ketofire51 Posts: 102 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It's easier to track by grams.....I shoot for 20 grams or less carbs, moderate protein and high fat. I try to stay under 2500 calories a day so that leaves my protein at about 100 grams and fats at 200 grams. For women, it is recommended to eat between 50 -70 grams of protein so your fate would come in around 100 -140 grams (or more) for 1200 - 1600 calories. Go to https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto for more info.
  • JJ_Mamma
    JJ_Mamma Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm short so my daily calories are set to 1250. I prefer a little more carbs so my breakdown is 10% (31g) Carbs, 70% (97g) Fat and 20% (63g) Protein.
    It can take a little getting used to, especially if you had the "low fat, low cal, high carb" mind set (that was me) so don't be overly hard on yourself and up to 50g carbs is still considered low card eating.