Help - lunch and side ideas (I HATE SALADS

Hi guys,
Looking for breakfast, lunch and side ideas for dinner. I absolutely hate salads no matter how many different ways I try them. Lettuce - yuck, raw tomato and carrot - yuck! You get the idea...
But I love vegetables!
I live on toasted sandwiches for lunches, so needing some healthy ideas pretty please!

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Roast a veggie for the day- broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, squash, brussel sprouts, bell peppers, carrots etc.

Use different seasonings to keep it interesting and sprinkle with parmesan or nutritional yeast.
  • hotbot47
    hotbot47 Posts: 2 Member
    Leftovers
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    I actually made a veggie sandwich using 100% whole wheat bread and used roasted eggplant as the "meat" and added lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, green pepper , onion and avocado and it was really good. You could also make a low fat soup and make a lot and freeze it. I am planning on making a sweet potato and black bean chili this Saturday that sounds delish. No meat and low in fat. Stir fry with brown rice and add a ton of veggies like brocolli, cauliflower, onions, and I add eggplant sometimes if I have it. Roasted asparagus is delish. For breakfast, I will cut up veggies (including spinach) and take an egg and add a little milk and scramble it all up and add the veggies and have a piece of whole wheat toast or sometimes I cut up a sweet potato and sauted it with some olive or coconut oil (just a little) and have it with my egg for breakfast or by itself.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Breakfast:

Maple Proats
    1 scoop Iso Whey Pure Vanilla Zero Carb Protein
    1 packet maple instant oatmeal
    1 T. caramel or maple Walden Farms syrup

Greek yogurt (I like Chobani Flips for fun flavors)

Oh Yeah! ONE Protein Bars (My favorites are Maple Glazed Donut, Birthday Cake and Pumpkin Pie)

6 T. egg whites
    1 egg
    1/8 c. red onion
    1/8 c. green pepper
    Serve on toast (I like the 40-cal bread) with avocado, salt and season with Kernel Season's flavor of choice.

Lunch/Dinner:

Stir Fry Bowl (Makes 4 servings)
    1 pkg. cauliflower rice
    1 pkg. frozen stir-fry vegetables
    1 pkg. Perdue Short Cuts
    2 eggs
    8 egg whites
    Steam veggies and place in skillet with remaining ingredients and stir together until eggs scramble/cook. Top with 3/4 c. Kikkoman Teryaki Glaze.

Wrap
    1 Flat Out Italian Herb Tortilla
    2 oz. Cajun turkey lunch meat
    1/4 c. spinach
    6 T. egg whites, cooked with red onion
    1/2 T. light mayo
    2 strips roasted red pepper

Easy Pizza
    1 Flat Out Everything Flatbread
    2 T. Prego Italian Sausage Sauce
    2 slices hard salami
    1/4 c. shredded part-skim mozzarella
    Layer on bread and top with oregano and parsley. Heat at 350^ for 10-15 minutes.

Snacks/Sides:

Cottage cheese and sliced tomato with salt

Steamed in-pod edamame topped with garlic powder and salt

Cauliflower rice topped with Kernel Season's flavor of choice

Rice cake topped with PB, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds

Hillshire Farms Snack Plates (the ones with jerky and cheese cubes, not the ones with the crisps)

Broccoli baked and topped with garlic powder and light Parmesan cheese
  • Thanks so much guys!! This really helps
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    I also make pizza using the whole wheat pita bread. Will sometimes add turkey pepperoni and some mozarella cheese. Add some veggies and delish
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    @stacefitz85 You hate salads, but love vegetables. That's not so bad. Just continue to include vegetables of all sorts in your meals, and you should be okay.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Stupid question: Have you tried making a salad with only things you like? A salad can be anything you want. I refuse to put any leaves or carrots in my salad. My typical dinner salad consists of bell peppers, grape tomatoes, cucumbers and two hard boiled eggs, with balsamic vinaigrette.

Don't get me wrong. Salads are not required. Just saying, it sounds like you just hate typical "rabbit food" salads, but a salad is whatever you want it to be.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Since you love your toasted sandwiches stick with that. Reduce the butter, mayo, and cheese. Try mustard instead for zip. Instead of salad as a side try soups.

Since you love veggies, roast and bake them. This is a great time of year for all the squashes. Half an acorn squash filled with Italian meatballs, croutons and a little cheese....well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Oh, and you MUST have salad as your breakfast or your diet will fail.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    edited September 2017
    I have a granola bar, yogurt, sandwich, fruit or dinner leftovers for breakfast. I have a sandwich, salad or dinner leftovers for lunches.

Side dishes- cooked vegetables, pickled vegetables, rice, pasta, beans, fruit, egg
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/81/side-dish/
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/course/side-dish-recipes
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/side-dishes/
    http://justbento.com/handbook/recipe-collection-side-dishes-and-space-fillers
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/quick-easy-side-dish-recipes
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    I am right there with you. I dislike salads, mainly because I don't like dressings and I am much more satisfied with warm food than cold. For breakfast I typically eat leftovers or warmed oatmeal/overnight oats. Lunch my go to is soup or baked potato with various veggie toppings.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Stupid question: Have you tried making a salad with only things you like? A salad can be anything you want. I refuse to put any leaves or carrots in my salad. My typical dinner salad consists of bell peppers, grape tomatoes, cucumbers and two hard boiled eggs, with balsamic vinaigrette.

I agree that a salad doesn't need to be leaves and things you don't like.
    Have you tried marinating vegetables? Toss some veggies that you like raw into a bowl, add dressing and leave overnight?
    There are also cooked veggie salads, such as green/wax bean salad or carrot salad. Cook the veggies, toss with a dressing after they cool.
    How about grain salads, such as barley or couscous?

I'm not saying that salads are necessary; just offering alternatives in case it's the leaves and raw veggies you're not enjoying.

Other than that, for lunches I have a sandwich, soup or leftovers.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Fellow salad hater here (with few exceptions). If I can't have it drenched in creamy dressing and crispy chicken, I tend to avoid salad altogether.

I'm a big fan of soup. I love soup, and you can generally eat a lot of it for few calories if you make it yourself or do some legwork to find types you like that fit your calories. A good broth-based soup made from primarily veggies and maybe beans or meat is awesome, blossom.

Many times, my lunch is just dinner leftovers so a lean meat, roasted veggie, and something a little starchy. I also do cold cuts with laughing cow cheese and some crackers, plus a fruit and a veggie.

My diary is open. You can check it out. You can see lower calorie versions of my lunches about a month back or so. I've recently upped my calories, so not sure what your goals are.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    I like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and/or celery with hummus when I get burned out on traditional salads. You could also do Greek or Mediterranean salads, just go easy on the Feta and other high fat/calorie stuff that goes in.
  • sfitzpatrick932
    sfitzpatrick932 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you so much everyone!! This makes me feel heaps better :)
  • This is great as a side or a main meal for Lunch or Dinner :)

Steamed Vegetables and chick peas with pesto

1 jar basil pesto
    1 can chick peas (drained and rinsed)
    3 cups cauliflower florets
    3 cups broccoli florets
    1 bunch kale ( trimmed and cut into pieces)
    2 cups frozen peas
    2 cups frozen broad beans (Fava beans)

Place all vegetables in a steamer for five minutes.
    ( You may need to steam in batches-Place cooked vegetables in large bowl and cover to keep warm).
    Once vegetables are cooked place in large bowl. Add chick peas and pesto. Stir well.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Can be served hot or cold.
    Can be stored in airtight container in fridge.
    Suitable to freeze.
    Makes approximately 5 serves.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,118 Member
    edited October 2017
    I have a few lunch ideas on my website (not selling anything - personal blog) https://www.exercisenotextrafries.com
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 404 Member
    edited October 2017
    ROASTED SWEET POTATO AND QUINOA SALAD

1 and half cups tri colour quinoa cooked to packet directions
    1 large or 2 medium sweet potato (cut in large diced)
    1 bag baby spinach
    1 punnet cherry tomatoes
    1 tin beetroot wedges
    3 shallots (sliced fine)
    1 bunch radishes (sliced thin)
    2 tblsns Balsamic vinegar dressing

Preheat oven to high (200 degrees). Place sweet potato on greased tray. Season with salt and pepper. Cook sweet potato until golden.
    Cook quinoa and allow to cook slightly.
    Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly with tongs.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Can be served warm or cold.
    Store in airtight container.

( For non vegetarian option can add feta cheese).

NOT YOUR ORDINARY SALAD.
    Give it a go it's scrumptious!
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited October 2017
    When the weather starts to turn cooler (like about now), I start making ratatouille or caponata. Easy to make enough to portion out and refrigerate, good at room temperature or warmed up, and good in omelets or on couscous. There are a bazillion recipes for both of them on the interwebz.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Another sweet potato “hot salad”... roast or sauté them (diced) & add whatever: I like black beans or white beans, corn, avocado, salsa (for a “dressing”). I also add some protein sometimes- pepperoni or chorizo, cooked shrimp or chicken is good! :-) I made something similar last night!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited October 2017
    1. This 'salad' (if defined by ' mixture containing a specified ingredient served with a dressing. ) is really yummy, IMO. I know you said you don't like salads, but from how you spoke of it, I get the impression you are discussing lettuce salads? So this one has no lettuce, and I personally leave out the carrots, dried cranberries, and the little bit of sugar in the homemade dressing, and just double the apples and cut them smaller so they are more present throughout the entire thing. It's just this crunchy, creamy, sweet and sour veggie fest that's really yummy, IMO http://natashaskitchen.com/2010/04/12/broccoli-salad-with-apple-and-walnuts/

2. Falafel and hummus - I make my own hummus, and add roasted veggies to it for extra flavor. I also my my own falafel (it's actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it). They keep well for a few days, and the falafel freezes quite nicely as well to thaw out later. I really love to eat a falafel or two (broken in half and laid down) and hummus in a wrap along with a tomato/cucumber/lemon juice/dill mixture (chopped small). I kind of love this much more than I should.

3. roasted chickpeas

4. one thing that I've enjoyed lately is making tiny sides. I bought up some super tiny bowls that are really aimed at being for dipping sauces, usually a couple bucks to buy, maybe 2-3 inches in diameter. I meant to use them to serve tiny soups or salads to my kids, for fun, but have found that I enjoy using them for that, as well. It's helped me sometimes to use up just a tiny bit of leftovers to just add to the meal in a tiny bowl like that, like say the last 2 Tb of rice plus 2 pieces of fried tofu and a 1/4 tsp of sauce. Usually, I'd either put those foods onto my plate the day before, so I don't 'waste food,' even if I'm not hungry, or they might go to waste. But with the little bowls, it all gets eaten without my having to overeat to make that happen. :-)

5. pickled veggies that I pickle myself. Quick pickling ones you can have ready in one day, and are often quite nice.

6. Potato cakes - I make flourless ones that I mostly baked, just fried for a minute on each side first to crisp it up. They pair nicely with chopped, fresh bell pepper, if you get the bell pepper and soak it for 30 minutes or so in salty water with lemon juice added.

7. empanadas, aprepas, tamales...there are lots of yummy little hand foods from Mexico and South America

8. Rice balls - japanese treat where you have a filling inside of rice, seaweed wrapping part of it to help you hold it while you eat.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    I brought home made soup in a flask to work today. it was yummy
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    spaghetti squash + tomato sauce
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Go to store. Explore frozen lunch section. Buy a few options that are appealing within your calorie range. Buy.

Yes they are full of sodium.

Yes they may not be best quality.

But gosh darn they're convenient, there are often many brands and varieties avsilable, portion controlled and last a long time in the freezer. Plus cheaper than average deli or takeout options.