Hi! I need my will power back:-).

Options
Good day!
I was dedicated to lose weight and get a healthier lifestyle after many dosages of chemotherapy and steroids. I successfully lost about 40 lbs only to start yo-yo dieting.
I am small framed and short, 5'3. My GP and I have discussed an eating plan of basically counting calories, eating smaller portions and eating foods as close to their whole state as possible however, one of my biggest saboteurs is emotional any boredom snacking AND food (sugar) rewards:-(
Thinking of buying the premium MFP---are there real advantages to $5 a month or do you feel my goal of losing 40 lbs can be done just as well with the free app?
Thank you for your time and happy Wednesday to you.
Sdak1403

Replies

• meltamy
    meltamy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 also. I'm 140 trying to get down to 120 or 125.
  • mer55
    mer55 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have been yo-yo-ing with 20 lbs for 8 years. In control/out of control. Well the last time I went out of control was the longest, and now my 20 lbs is 30lbs extra! ( In 2001 I lost 55 lbs on WW and kept it off for about 7 years. Diagnosed with BC and the gloves came off. Ate whatever I wanted, used the cancer as an excuse, and boom, 20 lbs on!) Finally decided to make permanent lifestyle changes just a couple of weeks ago. No fad diets (done them all), no counting points, just basic calorie in/calorie out. MFP has been so easy to use, calculating my calories, and really spend little time entering. I did buy the premier so there are no adds, and other perks. For me it was easier. I truly think the free app would do just as well. Try the free for a start, and if you feel you need more, you can always upgrade. There is a lot of good advice on here, and I love browsing the discussions.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your doctor's advice is a great set of principles for a healthy diet, but it fails epically in addressing any of the other functions food has in our lives - social, cultural, traditional, personal, emotional aspects. Food is meant to be good! You can indeed eat food you like, and sugar isn't toxic, but you have to stop snacking out of boredom and trying to fix emotional issues with food. You need a plan that takes into account your schedule, your values, your preferences, your family and work situation, your medical history, your emotional and spiritual needs - only THEN do you have the platform from which to engage your willpower, in short bursts, to get you over unavoidable humps.

Premium or not is not about the amount of weight you have to lose (I lost 50 pounds without), but whether the additional features are useful to you. You have to look into what is offered, and decide for yourself it it's worth the cost.