Order of Cardio Machines

Options
Hi! I own 3 machines: NordicTrack FreeStride, rower, and recumbent bike. Not looking for opinions on the machines. I bought them for a reason and I like them.

But what I want to know is what order is best to use them in if I want to incorporate all 3 into a workout. I have a certain amount of calories to burn and I’m in the process of losing weight.

Thanks!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it really matters... cardio is mostly cardio. If I had to order them, I'd say rower > freestrider > recumbent
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you have aspirations towards being a rower then row first.
    If wanting to be a cyclist then bike first.
    If walker then "stride" first.
    If just wanting a cardio workout then makes no real difference unless your intensity is different between the three machines.

You could just do alternate days of using one machine per workout of course then there's less wasted time swapping from equipment to equipment so you could hit your calorie goal quicker.

(PS - When I'm feeling a bit creaky then I find a rower a good warm up exercise but that does compromise my rowing pace.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If it's just to burn calories........................it doesn't matter. What you need to figure out is a sequence that works FOR YOU.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    aburs93 wrote: »
    Hi! I own 3 machines: NordicTrack FreeStride, rower, and recumbent bike. Not looking for opinions on the machines. I bought them for a reason and I like them.

But what I want to know is what order is best to use them in if I want to incorporate all 3 into a workout. I have a certain amount of calories to burn and I’m in the process of losing weight.

Thanks!

1. IF you want to burn calories and improve overall strength and fitness. The Rower is the most efficient machine for that.
    2. you say you bought them for a reason, unless the reason is a slimy salesperson, you've got at least 1 and more likely 2 pieces of equipment too many. There's some minor differences in the exercise profile between a strider and a rower, but there's almost zero additive benefit from a recumb bike, it takes up space and unless you've got a physical limitation(which would preclude using a rower or strider(elliptical)) there's no reason I'd ever suggest anyone use a recumbent bike.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't think the order makes any real difference in terms of calorie expenditure or weight loss but I would suggest the rower first only because maintaining good form is important and form may break down a bit depending on your level of fatigue.
  • aburs93
    aburs93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do have a physical limitation and the recumbent bike was recommended to me by my doctors.

Thanks!

1. IF you want to burn calories and improve overall strength and fitness. The Rower is the most efficient machine for that.
    2. you say you bought them for a reason, unless the reason is a slimy salesperson, you've got at least 1 and more likely 2 pieces of equipment too many. There's some minor differences in the exercise profile between a strider and a rower, but there's almost zero additive benefit from a recumb bike, it takes up space and unless you've got a physical limitation(which would preclude using a rower or strider(elliptical)) there's no reason I'd ever suggest anyone use a recumbent bike.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    why would you use all three in one workout though?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    why would you use all three in one workout though?

Yeah, 2 of the 3 maybe but all 3 during the same workout period?

I'd go w/the Nordic or Recumbant 1st for warmup with the Rower 2nd for endurance and/or intensity.

Don't think I'd do the Nordic and Recumbant on the same day; not identical but too similar in terms of leg use.

FWIW, I've got a rower and spin bike. Use to use the spin bike a lot but hardly ever use it anymore.

For cardio now, it's the rower at home, a StairMaster at the gym or just a 2-5 mile hike w/or w/o a weighted vest on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd row...it requires proper form and is a more comprehensive exercise. I'd use the other two occasionally to break up the monotony but I don't think I'd use them as my primary exercise and I wouldn't use all of the machines in one workout.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    recumbent bikes to me are warm up and cool down equipment- I don't feel like you get a good proper workout out of them- so I'd go with the styde rite thing and the rower- I'm partial to rowing.

But I don't understand using all three same workout.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want, it's really not going to matter.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I do have a physical limitation and the recumbent bike was recommended to me by my doctors.

And that limitation doesn't keep you from using a rower/elliptical?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Since you have specific medical reasons for using each machine, then perhaps that would dictate the order. Otherwise it's what feels best for your body. The order won't affect calorie burn to any measurable level.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Whatever keeps you wngaged in the workout and allows you to do the most. I think this is personal and you'll have to test it out.