What is the purpose of eating back your exercise calories

Options
I'm not understanding the purpose of eating back your exercise calories. It defeats the purpose of exercising if you are using it to burn more calories. If you eat them back you don't burn more calories. Your're in the same place you were before you started. Am I missing something here?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm not understanding the purpose of eating back your exercise calories. It defeats the purpose of exercising if you are using it to burn more calories. If you eat them back you don't burn more calories. Your're in the same place you were before you started. Am I missing something here?

A couple things -

IF you got your calorie goal from MFP, it didn't include exercise. When you have a large calorie deficit it's harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. Do you want fat loss? Do you want a lower body fat%?

Second - the purpose of exercise should NOT be to burn calories. Because if the sole purpose was to burn calories, then do cardio + cardio + more cardio (because it burns the most). Being healthy, being fit is more than "just" cardio. Strength training (along with adequate protein, and a moderate deficit) will help you retain lean muscle. That way you lower your body fat %.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    Mfp gives you a calorie goal with a set deficit (250, 500, 750 or 1000 calories). Mfp assumes you will do no exercise so if you are set to lose 1 pound per week (500 cal deficit) then your goal from mfp includes that deficit. If you exercise and burn an additional 300 calories you now have a deficit of 800 calories. Mfp expects you to eat back the exercise calories to get you back to your original 500 cal deficit. If you don't want to eat back exercise calories then you should use a TDEE calculator to get your goal. It will include exercise so a TDEE calculator will give you a higher daily goal than mfp. So if mfp gives you a goal of 1500 to lose 1 pound per week then you can eat 1500 to lose a pound. If you exercise and burn 300 calories your goal to lose 1 pound per week is now 1800. A TDEE calculator would probably give you a goal of approximately 1800 calories. The numbers won't be exact, but should be about the same if you are honest about your activity level and your exercise.