Mistakes Were Made

Options
I'm Chuck. I'm 35, 6'2'', and I weigh 600 pounds. I am an incredibly successful dieter. Unfortunately, I am an even better eater. I have lost 100+ pounds many times throughout my life and always gain it back and then some. I recently decided that I was going to get bariatric surgery as a tool in my battle with obesity. I have to lose 80 pounds on a very restrictive pre-op diet before I can get the surgery and I am working on that now. The reason for the need to lose weight before surgery and the diet that I have to be on is to reduce the size of my liver to make the surgery easier and reduce the risk of complications. A lot of people see this surgery as a short cut or cheating. I see it as a tool to help me with my consistency. The surgery is not a magic bullet. It is going to take an extraordinary amount of work both pre-op and after the surgery. I have been on myfitnesspal for years now. It is also a very good tool when used properly. I have never really explored the community aspect of the site, but my hope is that there are people who have gone through what I am going through I can talk to. I also hope my experience can be helpful to others.

Replies

• GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Nothing wrong with using tools. But lots of people gain it back + some a few years after the surgery because they never learned to control their eating. They used the tool then abused it. Use that opportunity to create good habits instead of trust that it's a permanent fix like some have made the mistake in doing. I pray it all works out for you!
  • kingcl2
    kingcl2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in hearing from people who have gained back weight after bariatric surgery. I have conducted substantial research on the topic and know personally several people who have gained back weight after they hit their lowest point after surgery. I am happy to say that none of these folks are anywhere near their starting weight. Several are almost 5 years out from bariatric surgery and are doing very well. Most are off medications to control blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. All of them no longer use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. I'd love to talk to the people you know GlassAngyl if they have myfitnesspal accounts and are willing to share their story. I think it would be very helpful to have more data points than the handful of people I know personally. I'm under no illusions that bariatric surgery is a permanent fix. I appreciate the prayers. That is very kind of you.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hi Welcome!!

Wishing you well on your journey!

I believe there is a bariatric group ( go to the group tab and search bariatric or the type of surgery you are having) or there maybe even a ongoing message board .

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    From observation, I know that weight loss surgery is NOT a shortcut. That's like saying a hammer is a shortcut to building a deck. But you've never seen a hammer just up and build one. It takes someone with the skills and knowledge to make it happen. Never let anyone talk trash. <3