Weight goes up after strength training...normal?

Options
I've been doing cardio 3 times a week-ish (in addition to calorie restricting) and my weight is steadily going down every day. But, I threw in some strength training yesterday (on my cardio day off) and my weight was UP today! it was really, really disheartening. My diet was on point, so it wasn't that. I am VERY sore in my muscles from yesterday. Could that be the problem? Like swelling maybe? I was up 1.5 lbs which really bummed me out and makes me not want to do any more strength training. What gives?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When your muscles get mini-tears during workouts (which is part of what helps build muscle), it's normal for your body to retain water weight to help repair. Take it as a sign of a good workout and know it's just temporary!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You muscles will retain water to help with repair after lifting. This is what makes you get stronger and helps retain muscle as you lose weight ensuring that more of what is lost is fat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes weight training esp at first will make you retain glycogen/water in the muscles for repair. Esp if you are sore...pretty good sign.

I typically will only weigh myself if I haven't lifted for 2 days (and I've been doing it for over 3 years now)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mktom29 wrote: »
    Muscle weighs more than fat.

Even if this was true, it's not relevant to OP's situation. OP is asking about 1.5 pounds gained since yesterday. She didn't gain 1.5 pounds of muscle in one day, that's just impossible.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    One more to say it sounds pretty normal.

And thinking about it, might be why my loss has slowed down the last week. I moved from silly resistance machines to free weights and it's a lot harder and my arms are sore after.
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have found the same thing, and you're right, it is really annoying. I swam and lifted Saturday. Sunday and Monday I was 1.5-2 pounds heavier. This morning I was .4 pounds lighter than I was Saturday. I stayed to my calorie budget. I know in my head the number on the scale isn't the most important thing, but I check it in the morning anyway. It's an emotional thing. All I can do is keep telling myself what the facts are. I hope knowing the facts helps you as well. Over time, keeping to your good habits really does make a difference in your weight and your health, despite the daily variances. Good luck!
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    That's me today. Killer workout yesterday, and even though I got a great stretch in after I'm SSSOOOO sore today, and up 1.3 lbs ☺
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    mktom29 wrote: »
    Muscle weighs more than fat.

are you kidding? you really think she put on 1.5 lbs of muscle since yesterday?? a woman is unlikely to put that on in a month, let alone a day, and that is only if all conditions are ideal (calorie surplus, progressive lifting program,etc.)
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yup, totally normal,and totally nothing to worry about. Your muscles are simply repairing themselves :)