What do you want to see in the new Canada Food Guide?

Options
I was reading through the "What we heard" document from Health Canada (https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/hc-sc/documents/services/publications/food-nutrition/canada-food-guide-phase1-what-we-heard-eng.pdf) and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what they thought should be included in the new food guide.

I was pleased they were asking about making recommendations based on how processed foods are instead of just lobbyist pressure. I'm hoping we get something similar to Brazil's food guide!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Something actually based on science... Sodium restrictions are not helpful, and possibly harmful, for most people. Discussion of the dangers of vegetable oils and letting go of the "heart healthy" evil saturated fats myth...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I tried to read the report, but I found it to be a tough read, hard to pinpoint exactly, the framing just felt "off", fake. It appears to be assembled by bits and pieces of "The Questions We Wish You Would Ask". I think what's missing, is a holistic approach. Nutrition may well be about nutrients and avoiding disease, but people eat food, not nutrients, and eating well is about tradition, innovation, family, nurturing, pleasure, happiness.
  • Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I tried to read the report, but I found it to be a tough read, hard to pinpoint exactly, the framing just felt "off", fake. It appears to be assembled by bits and pieces of "The Questions We Wish You Would Ask". I think what's missing, is a holistic approach. Nutrition may well be about nutrients and avoiding disease, but people eat food, not nutrients, and eating well is about tradition, innovation, family, nurturing, pleasure, happiness.

Exactly! I totally agree. That's why I prefer Brazil's guide. it's more about the culture of eating and sharing food, less about micronutrients.
  • Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Proper poutine preparation.

I feel like this should be a given for any Canadian Government publication. Always include a recipe for poutine!
  • JasonOnceAgain
    JasonOnceAgain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I didn't read your link, I may have before. From what I've read about it, dairy is no longer a food group and a lot of meat proteins are being replaced by plant proteins. They're supposed to be basing it more like Brazil's - I personally can't wait to see the final guide.
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    They have to stop pushing the vegetarian / vegan agenda.
    It's better since they're reducing their war against saturated fat but recommending a diet that's more "plant based" feels like a judgment against us lean carnivores with great lipid profiles. :p