Half-Marathon

Options
Hey! I have just started training for my first half marathon! Anybody have any tips or things I should know? I’m starting early, race is in 8 months

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady. Both in your runs and in your increasing distance. Not sure if it was endurance or just plain stubbornness that kept me going. Many plans top off your long runs at 10 miles, I liked to go to 13 just to convince myself that I could do it. I left the extra 0.1 for race day. And remember, it being your first, you WILL have a Personal Best :)
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Here is a simple 10-week training program that I have successfully used several times:

http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    StephFolz wrote: »
    Hey! I have just started training for my first half marathon! Anybody have any tips or things I should know? I’m starting early, race is in 8 months

Get a training plan or 2 to work with to slowly increase your distance. You've got plenty of time to mess around with fueling - for race day and before long runs.

I struggle to lose weight when my long run gets into double figures... the runger is real :laugh:

Good luck!
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking for a training plan. I've seen plans ranging from 16 weeks to only 8 weeks long. You did not mention how long you have been running or how many miles per week you currently run, but it is great that you are giving yourself plenty of time to prepare. When I decided to run my first half, I did not have much of a running base. I started adding runs to my regular workout routine and slowly built up my distance. Once I was about 12 weeks out from the race, I started following one of Hal Higdon's novice plans. Having the plan was helpful because it added structure to training. I wasn't just running to run, I was running to prepare for a specific distance, and this was a tested method for crossing the finish line. The plan I used only went up to 10 miles for the longest run, and I think that is fairly common for novice training plans. Best of luck!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if you are using a plan, stick to it - if the plan says 6 miles, but you feel like doing more - don't - it can lead to injury, if they are built and phased properly
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Plan some shorter races between now and then. Eight months is a long way away. You need something to focus on now besides just "run more". Shorter races will allow you to train for speed, which will help when it comes time to start HM specific training. Most of your runs should be easy though, as you are building your base mileage. The shorter races will also help you prepare mentally for race day excitement/nerves, etc. If you can, look for someone to train with. The long runs are easier if you have a companion to talk with. Higdon plans are good for beginners. Pete Pfitzinger's are a bit more challenging.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Key questions for a meaningful and are how much you run now, and what's your race experience so far?
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Congrats! Nice goal to work on. I like the free training plans on runkeepers, they have 5k - HM and the HM plans start at 2:30 and under depending on your pace and goal. I prefer strava as my regular training app for running but use the free plans on runkeepers as a guideline. Good luck!
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You're giving yourself plenty of time, the race will be a breeze come race day!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    rubrink wrote: »
    Good luck! You're giving yourself plenty of time, the race will be a breeze come race day!

If you really race your races, they are never a breeze. The first few miles may be (should be for a HM or marathon) but if you are really pushing, they don't end easy.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one in 8 months too!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Here's some really specific advice from experience:

#1 replace your shoes regularly. Increasing distance can lead to PF for a lot of people. Use your older pair for slop shoes on rainy days

#2 keep your toe nails trimmed, any irregular jagged edges will cause nasty blisters at longer distances

#3 do a few 10ks between now and then

Oh, and have fun. My longest usual training was 10 miles. I had only run 13 one time a few weeks prior to my race. I retired from half marathons immediately after!
  • StephFolz
    StephFolz Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Key questions for a meaningful and are how much you run now, and what's your race experience so far?
    I’m at about 3 miles now, that’s my base. I do that in about 30 minutes. I’ve done some 5k’s but that’s about it. I’m not in it to win, I just want to cross the finish line.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    There is literally hundreds of training programs out there and giving yourself 8 months is a great decision. Good luck
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I’m at about 3 miles now, that’s my base. I do that in about 30 minutes. I’ve done some 5k’s but that’s about it. I’m not in it to win, I just want to cross the finish line.

You are wise to give yourself 8 months. I had 3 from the time I finished my 2nd 10K before I got serious about getting ready. You should be in great shape. By race day your primary concern will probably be perfecting your celebratory fist pumps for the finish line pics. These very threads are going to be your best resource for information. You are going to have lots of questions between now and then and there are thankfully lots of folks here with a ton of experience with road races who can offer you some great advice. If you have a specialty running store local to you that is decent, those folks can also become another good source of information.

Best of luck.
  • scmartin6579
    scmartin6579 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading Slow Burn by Stu Mittleman. It's great for starting out!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Personally I'd recommend identifying where you'll start your HM plan, normally about 16 weeks and aim to be running c20-25 miles per week, ready to start the plan. That's only four 10K sessions per week so easily achievable in about six weeks. I'd recommend a couple of 10Ks in the interim as well, to get a handle on the experience and pacing issues highlighted above.

The HM is a nice distance, long enough to be worth it but not life consuming to train for.