Full time working parents.

Options
2»

Replies

• SpirituallyBlonde
    Options
    Guys you are all awesome, my child is 7years going on 16.
    I could totally add in some tricep dips etc on my lunch walk..... I'm also hearing that I really need to go to bed earlier so I can try getting up in the morning to exercise. It's heading into Summer here and just yesterday my husband became unemployed, so he doesn't leave for work anymore - no need to get up quite so early. I guess I'm going to exercise in the mornings.
    I will definitely also try the Fitness Buster from YouTube.....
    I have no problem going to sleep. Like ever, it's the getting up that's the problem.
    Thanks peeps
    ✌️
  • dknight36
    dknight36 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Single father here that works full time. I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to workout on my lunch break. Not sure how long you get if that's a possibility. I also shave my head so a 3 minute shower is no problem.
  • SpirituallyBlonde
    Options
    dknight36 wrote: »
    Single father here that works full time. I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to workout on my lunch break. Not sure how long you get if that's a possibility. I also shave my head so a 3 minute shower is no problem.

Yeah...... I kinda like having hair. On my head.......I just pull it up out of the way and wash it at home.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I just get up early and do it before my daughter wakes up. I was never a morning person either but I realised if I didn't get to the gym for a 6 am start then my workouts would never be consistent. I've kept it up for years now and I'm sure you will find it just becomes a part of your routine.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Me and waking up at 4.30am learned to be best friends over time.

Gah. 4:30 is sleeping in for me. :D 3:30 to get to the gym and get my workout done before I have to be to work at 7:00.

Haha. I hear ya. I start work at 8am.
  • ChrisKom
    ChrisKom Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issues. I'm already up at 515 am to get myself ready for work and my son ready for daycare. I'm not home till after 5 and then cook dinner, bath time and bed for son..... it's insane trying to fit a workout in. I do not get a lunch hour at work... I gave it up to work a shorter day and be home earlier with my son. I find that I can fit stuff in when I involve him in my exercising. Sometimes at night we got for a walk and he's in a baby carrier on my back and I speed walk..... carting a extra 22lbs on my back. Or I push the stroller or whatever gets us out and moving. Some days I'm exhausted so I eat at a larger deficit to compensate. Seems to be working so far. Finding the balance is super hard.
  • tenahatiger
    tenahatiger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same here, good ideas from the other parents who posted above.
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of two who works two jobs. I am not a morning person, I hate hate hate waking up early, but I've determined it's the only way for me to squeeze in a workout. If I wait till after dinner it just doesn't ever get accomplished.

I set my coffee pot to have coffee brewed and I drink it as soon as I wake up...in fact I drink it while exercising, don't judge. :) I set my clothes out the night before so I don't have to think about it, and then I just make myself wake up and do my thing. (I still have my days where that doesn't get accomplished but it's starting to become more of a habit!) I do weights with short, intense bursts of cardio in between, for 4 days a week, and the whole workout is done within a half hour.

My advice is, whenever you do decide to fit it in, look for a workout with compound exercises because they get more than one muscle group exercised at once, so you get more for your time. If you exercise in a really intense way and don't stop in between, you can get a lot accomplished (for both muscle gains and heart health) in a short period of time.

Good luck!
  • warrenlightyear
    warrenlightyear Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is really tough. My wife and I struggle with this a lot. Three kids. One in elementary, one in middle and one in high. So literally dropping kids of starts at 6:50 and goes till 9:15. Then there's work. Ultimately if you have a support network use it. For us that has meant way less time for my wife and I. But this is a short term thing while we are getting our lives where we want it. Taking turns with the kids. Sometimes we are at the gym till 1:00 a.m. Other times it means getting up at 4:00 to get it in. You have to find a way to get it in though.
  • misskatieanne
    misskatieanne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As a single parent who works full time I find doing a few short (20 min) workouts during the week is all I can do. I am lucky to work from home sometimes so on these days I can run a couple of miles before I start work after I've dropped the kids off, and can grab a quick shower.
    I find early morning home workouts work well (usually sonething off you tube as I need direction at that time of the day!) I have resistance bands and a few kettlebells and dumbells which have been worth the investment. I have let the early workouts slip recently as have had trouble sleeping early enough to get up at 5.30 am to do them. This thread has given me a push to try again though!
    At weekends I do a longer run while my kids are at activities. I used to sit with the other parents in the waiting area at dance but now I run at the nearby park instead.
    I also joined a gym with a creche which is costly but allows me to do at least one good session with the weights on a weekend if the kids don't have other activities on.
    I used to have a running stroller when youngest was a baby and would go out a couple of times a week with the baby in that and my older one would ride on a bike next to me while I ran.
    I agree it is very tough staying fit with kids when you work!
  • sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am a working Mom and I get up at 5am to get about 30mins of yoga in 4-5 days a week. I leave the house by 6:15. I walk walk 2-3miles 6 days a week, mostly on my lunch break. On the weekends I normally walk with my little one.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Me and waking up at 4.30am learned to be best friends over time.

Gah. 4:30 is sleeping in for me. :D 3:30 to get to the gym and get my workout done before I have to be to work at 7:00.

Oh my goodness! What time do you go to sleep at night?! lol I really wish I could push myself.. I get up at 6am to take care of my 1 year old and get ready for work at 8am, and I feel sluggish as all heck!

8:00 p.m.