Bust a Plateau

Options
I've lost almost 60# and want to lose 25 more. I have been stuck at he same weight for the last few months. Any ideas how to bust this plateau. I am very active physically but I am wondering if I should shoot for 1000 exercise calories daily with a 1500 intake

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    davepete57 wrote: »
    I've lost almost 60# and want to lose 25 more. I have been stuck at he same weight for the last few months. Any ideas how to bust this plateau. I am very active physically but I am wondering if I should shoot for 1000 exercise calories daily with a 1500 intake

which would be just the same as just eating 500 cals per day... does that sound like a good idea to you?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weight not going down is not really a plateau and not really something to bust. Assuming you are still overweight, you have to continue to eat less than you burn. At a lower weight, you burn less. But that doesn't mean you can eat at or below the recommended minumum and overexercise and lose at the same pace as before. It means that you will lose more slowly, even at a lower calorie intake (it's highly recommended to run setup again with your new stats), and that you have to be more accurate in your logging, and generally more patient.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    A few months at the same weight sounds like you have reached a maintain point which several things you need to look at..

If you are in a calorie deficit at the end of the week, you are not plateaued, the weight loss has slowed. With that said it not healthy to net 500 calories a day.

Have you looked to make sure you logging efforts are on point and updated your calorie goals in MFP to assure that 1500 meets the rate of loss you intend to lose the last 25?

How long have you been in a calorie deficit consistently to lose this 60 pounds you lost? Have you taken a diet break along the way in other words?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Mccloud74 wrote: »

Hi there,

This works for me, it might work for you.

When I get to a stage where I don't lose weight for a few weeks I rotate my carbs over a 2 week period.
    Week 1 I only eat carbs at lunch then week 2 I only eat carbs at dinner...it kick starts the weight loss for me.

Good luck :smile:

and how does that impact your calories in? making them less than your calories out???

OP no you shouldn't shoot for 1k in exercise and 1500 in food...

1. You are male you need to net at least 1500...not 500
    2. have you adjusted your intake since you lost weight?
    3. how are you logging? by weight or cups or guesstimates?
    4. and by same weight do you mean you haven't lost anything at all or are you going up and down?
  • Mccloud74
    Mccloud74 Posts: 788 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @SezxyStef

"and how does that impact your calories in? making them less than your calories out???"

I don't adjust my calorie intake, I just cycle my carbs, like I said.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    @SezxyStef

"and how does that impact your calories in? making them less than your calories out???"

right so a weight loss plateau means not losing weight and not losing weight means your CI = CO and cycling carbs does not change that equation.

it can change up the glycogen and/or water stores and you may lose scale weight but not fat and chances are you will gain that scale weight back once the stores are replenished.

• Mccloud74
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    @SezxyStef

right so a weight loss plateau means not losing weight and not losing weight means your CI = CO and cycling carbs does not change that equation.

it can change up the glycogen and/or water stores and you may lose scale weight but not fat and chances are you will gain that scale weight back once the stores are replenished.

Okay...so the OP asked if anyone had any suggestions on busting a weight loss plateau.

I answered with something that works for me. And it does, every single time. I don't adjust my calorie intake or output, I simply do something that kick starts my weight loss again. And no, I don't gain it back.

I don't know why it works, but it was recommended to me by my PT...who also said "it might / might not work for you". But hey, it does.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    @SezxyStef

Okay...so the OP asked if anyone had any suggestions on busting a weight loss plateau.

I answered with something that works for me. And it does, every single time. I don't adjust my calorie intake or output, I simply do something that kick starts my weight loss again. And no, I don't gain it back.

I don't know why it works, but it was recommended to me by my PT...who also said "it might / might not work for you". But hey, it does.

a true weight loss plateau is due to eating at maintenance...not eating carbs at a certain time of day aka carb cycling.

As well if you didn't carb cycle and continued on the path of eating less than you burned you would lose the weight too without doing the carb thing.

and PT's shouldn't be giving nutritional advice imo as they are not qualified RD's. esp the one who told you carb cycling helps weight loss plateaus...
  • Mccloud74
    Options
    @SezxyStef

a true weight loss plateau is due to eating at maintenance...not eating carbs at a certain time of day aka carb cycling.

As well if you didn't carb cycle and continued on the path of eating less than you burned you would lose the weight too without doing the carb thing.

and PT's shouldn't be giving nutritional advice imo as they are not qualified RD's. esp the one who told you carb cycling helps weight loss plateaus...

My mistake, I didn't list his credentials. He's a PT, Lifestyle Coach, teaches Yoga on a Tuesday & Saturday and is also a registered dietician :smile:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @SezxyStef

My mistake, I didn't list his credentials. He's a PT, Lifestyle Coach, teaches Yoga on a Tuesday & Saturday and is also a registered dietician :smile:

Wow what university did he go to for his nutrition degree? Never heard a RD say such s thing (but have heard many nutritionists say thst)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Sigh, you just try and help someone... :/

it's fine to try and help but when you are giving false information it will get corrected.

hard to believe an up to date RD would give such advice as it is not rooted in science...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

it's fine to try and help but when you are giving false information it will get corrected.

hard to believe an up to date RD would give such advice as it is not rooted in science...

There's quite a bit of information available with regards to carb cycling helping overcome a weight loss plateau.

Just because you don't agree with or understand something, doesn't mean it's not correct.

Can you post credible scientific links which day you can lose fat (not just water) without dropping your calories?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    OP I usually find when I'm stuck at maintenance that my weekends are to blame. I do great all week then go over a little on Friday night or Sat. or Sun or all three. It can be enough to wipe out the deficit I created during the week (but as a long term maintenance strategy, isn't bad for me). So, check your weekends and tighten up your logging.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options

There's quite a bit of information available with regards to carb cycling helping overcome a weight loss plateau.

Just because you don't agree with or understand something, doesn't mean it's not correct.

My guess is that during these carb cycling series', you are being more accurate with your weighing and logging and that is what is getting your weight loss going again.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

YOu are right there is a lot of information out there...blogs, articles etc and I do understand it. I've read up on it as a family member did it...he wasn't that successful at the weight loss...

What means it's not correct is that marcros in any cycle or percentage do not define if you gain or lose weight...that is all about the calories.

Carb cycling does not help overcome a true weight loss plateau as that has to do with calories...and eating at maintenance.

but there are no peer reviewed studies that confirm this...
  • davepete57
    davepete57 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    to those of you who gave advise Thanks. To those of you who are holier than thou & snarky please go away