Hashimotos

Options
My doctor has told me to look into Hashimotos and see if I think the symptoms fit with how fatigued and brain foggie I feel lately. I know there are eating guidelines that can help with the symptoms of Hashimotos - would anybody who has it care to elaborate? I have ordered a book that should have eating guides in it as well as other management options for symptoms but I always appreciate real life advice from people living the condition.

Replies

• GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Low carb helps. I'm hypothyroid and it has significantly helped my fatigue and brain fog.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos - I take medication for it and eat a whole food diet. When first diagnosed I took Synthroid, but it didn't help so switched to a naturally dissected thyroid hormone called "Nature Thyroid" which is also a prescription med. This works much better for me-but everyone's different. Can't say fatigue and brain fog are totally gone but is definitely much better than it was several years ago. I also keep my carbs at about 100mg a day which also seems to help. In terms of weight loss, I had a very hard time losing weight until I got thyroid hormones regulated with medication. Now I'm losing about a pound a week which I'm happy with.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    Low carb helps. I'm hypothyroid and it has significantly helped my fatigue and brain fog.

research is showing that low carb is potentially linked to increases in TSH and T4 levels in the long run, but not been dedicatedly studied (its been an observed outcome of several focused ketogenic diet studies)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and control it with levothyroxine. I eat low carb, which is very helpful for BG management (I have type 1 diabetes); but I would guess that a decrease in 'brain fog' in my case is related to better BG's rather than anything thyroid related.

Why doesn't your dr. just order some blood tests?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Be careful with this - there are several scam artists out there looking to make a buck off of people in a vulnerable situation.

Have you been prescribed levothyroxine?

As @deannalfisher stated there is no medically recognized "diet". If you're searching the internet for this stick to medical sites - those managed through legitimate medical facilities - e.g. Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, Harvard Medicine, etc.

Is your doctor an endocrinologist and do they have experience with hypothyroidism? In particular you need to find one that has specific experience with Hashimoto's.

A good start is a full thyroid panel - TSH, fT3, fT4, rT3. You really need multiple panels taken over time to fully understand what is going on and to make a proper diagnosis.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The main way to treat hashi's is with T4 and/or T3. Most just use T4 but others, like me, find we need some T3 too. I have found that natural desiccated thyroid was a huge improvement over just T4.

I have heard that going gluten-free can help many with hashi's even without celiac disease, although celiac disease is twice as common in those with hashi's. Low carb helps me too.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and control it with levothyroxine. I eat low carb, which is very helpful for BG management (I have type 1 diabetes); but I would guess that a decrease in 'brain fog' in my case is related to better BG's rather than anything thyroid related.

Why doesn't your dr. just order some blood tests?

@midwesterner85
    I appreciate that input, I deal with brain fog at times and wasn't always sure why.. wondered if it wasn't BG. Thanks :)

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »

I'm also hypo. I actually feel better since I started eat a HIGHER carb diet.
    YMMV.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Did he not have you go to the lab and give blood that is the easiest way. Is this a real doctor or one of the Holistic ones?
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'd consider getting tested for both celiac disease (before ANY diet changes, as some of them can make the test invalid) and diabetes. And vitamin levels. And possible work with someone on a food elimination diet. Because...

1. Hashimoto's, celiac disease, and diabetes can give brain fog and fatigue as initial symptoms, with NOTHING ELSE noticeable yet. Other conditions that can do so are, well, the majority of auto-immune disorders, vitamin deficiencies, and even mild food allergies or food intolerances. So there's a LOT it could be.

2. Hashi, celiac, and diabetes seem to put you in higher risk categories to have the other. So if you Did have hashimoto's, or a relative did, you are at higher risk of having one of the other two diseases.

3. Hashi, celiac, and diabetes - there's a small study, plus some doctor's anecdotal commentary, that showed that one of these can sometimes affect the presentation of the others, if you have more than one. Sometimes it makes it worse, sometimes it can mask symptoms.
  • JulieD769
    JulieD769 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would have your Vitamin D tested. I was just recently diagnosed and the first thing my doctor has me doing is get my Vitamin D levels up by supplementing with 5,000 IU a day and also gluten free. Other carbs are fine, but gluten needs to be avoided. After two months, she will re-evaluate to see if I need to take medication.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Agree with other posts not sure which credible dr would tell you to Google your symptoms :/
    I have been hypo for 4 years now I take Levotyroxin and I actually feel alot WORSE when I tried reducing carb .

I eat high carb and try to eat healthy for my overall health but I don't think what I eat will change fact I'm hypothyroid or reduce the symptoms and I don't deprive myself of anything.
    Eat food you enjoy,get tests done and go from there.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 15 years ago. I've been able to keep things steady with levothyroxine over the years. After both of my boys were born my numbers went a little haywire, but then got back in control as my body adjusted to not being pregnant anymore. Now it's looking like the disease is progressing to a total thyroid shutdown. It's been 9 months of increasing meds, waiting 3 months, retesting and then increasing meds again. We'll see where I end up in 3 more months.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    can I just high jack this post for a second with a question?

Im on Levothyroxine for hypo as several lots of bloods been taken.
    the last bloods that were done the doctor requested an antibody screen which came back positive for an antibody which along with my other blood results and my symptoms is why he started treatment.

anyone got any idea what that antibody is? and what it means as he didnt say and tbh didnt explain much at all.
    I had a little info as mum has been on thyroxine for years as she is hypo too and was telling me all aboyt T4 T3 etc
    but what is the antibody about?
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I agree there is no real science behind a diet to help with hypothyroid. I have been hypothyroid for years now and what helps with my fatigue is medication (levothyroxine) and more of a plant based (vegan) diet which is higher in carbs so it is different for everybody. I definitely recommend a blood test as well, that is the best way to diagnose. Just some tips I have collected over the years for losing weight being hypothyroid are
    1) Don't fall into the "victim" mentality. This means that there are several people (including some here on MFP) that will tell you it is next to impossible to lose weight while being hypothyroid; don't listen to this. It is possible. I lost the majority of my weight before I was even diagnosed and started medication.
    2) Up your water intake. One of the oh so lovely side effects of hypothyroidism is GI issues (mainly constipation). Drinking more water can help reduce constipation which is uncomfortable and can cause temporary increases on the scale which can be frustrating. Also if you find yourself constipated often don't be afraid to add miralax or some other laxative into your daily routine. Just make sure the laxative is gentle and approved for daily use (no dulcolax unless things get really bad and even then only once in a while).
    3) Make time to get extra sleep. When my thyroid is out of whack the usual 8 hours of sleep does not cut it for me, I sometimes need more like 9 or even 10. If you get enough sleep you will have more energy to stick to your diet and exercise.

You can and probably should mess around with different diets and see which one helps with your symptoms best. If you want extra support feel free to add me as a friend, I love being a promoter of weight loss while hypothyroid!
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options

the last bloods that were done the doctor requested an antibody screen which came back positive for an antibody which along with my other blood results and my symptoms is why he started treatment.

anyone got any idea what that antibody is? and what it means as he didnt say and tbh didnt explain much at all.
    I had a little info as mum has been on thyroxine for years as she is hypo too and was telling me all aboyt T4 T3 etc

Antibody tests are usually to check for Hashimotos which is an autoimmune disease where your body attacks your healthy thyroid causing you to be hypo.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Antibody tests are usually to check for Hashimotos which is an autoimmune disease where your body attacks your healthy thyroid causing you to be hypo.

@MoveitlikeManda This! The existence of Hashimoto's antibodies proves your immune system is attacking your thyroid. That doesn't tell you how effective your immune system has been or how far along it is in killing off your thyroid; but it at least confirms that your immune system is attacking your thyroid.

Auto-immune diseases are genetic (HLA genes on chromosome 6), but not everyone who has the genes gets every auto-immune disease. One still must have a 'trigger' for the auto-immune response. In my case, I've had triggers for both type 1 diabetes and Hashimoto's. Perhaps it is possible that your mom had a trigger for Hashimoto's as well. The trigger seems somewhat random. I know with type 1 diabetes, statistics show that about 1 out of every 20 people who have the genes actually ends up with a trigger and the disease. I'm not sure if I could identify 20 individuals within that genetic line in my case and confirm this, but I know there are cases where 2 out of 2 siblings have T1D and other cases (like mine) where it is not known to exist in other families. I'm not sure what the odds of a trigger for Hashi's is among those who carry those genes... but regardless of the odds, it is certainly possible that both you and your mom both have the genes for it (duh, right?) and a trigger for the auto-immune response.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options

so if was positive for the antibody does that mean I have Hashimotos then?