Macros Percentages

Options
Any recommendations on what percentages my fat, protein, & carbs should be at if I’m trying to lose weight? I’m trying to lose at least 2lbs a week. MFP has me at 50% carbs, 30% fat, & 20% protein. Is that correct? Thx for your help!!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Whatever macros help keep you full and satisfied. Calories cause weight loss, not macros.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Humans have the ability to thrive on a wide range of macros as long as they're getting sufficient fat and protein. There is no one correct setting, there is the one that is right for your satiety and goals. Many people start with the default and then adjust them as they notice how they feel.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    OP, how much weight do you have to lose?
    2+ lbs per week is generally only recommended for those with 50+ lbs to lose.
    (If your profile pic is current, it doesn't look like you have much weight to lose!)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    (If your profile pic is current, it doesn't look like you have much weight to lose!)

Yeah, this.

Set goals to, "Lose 1 pound," or, "Lose 1/2 pound." If you have less than 25 pounds to lose, I would set it at, "Lose 1/2 pound," - the default macros are fine. It's not about macros it's about calories, and trying to lose too quickly will likely backfire on you by under eating and then binge/over eating cycles. Set a reasonable goal, and eat to that level. Get some exercise. Have a vegetable with each meal.

Prosper. :)
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options

^ This
    As far as macros go, it's what works for you. I feel more full and find it easier to stay in goal when I eat more protein so I do 40c/30f/30p. I really don't worry about anything but the protein though. If I feel hangry and check, I'm almost always low on protein.
  • Tlai84
    Tlai84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Thank you everyone! My photo isn’t current I have 30lbs to lose
  • imgritz
    imgritz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 is a standard macro from most fitness trainers.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Tlai84 wrote: »
    Any recommendations on what percentages my fat, protein, & carbs should be at if I’m trying to lose weight? I’m trying to lose at least 2lbs a week. MFP has me at 50% carbs, 30% fat, & 20% protein. Is that correct? Thx for your help!!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have used a target of 40P/40C/20F for weight loss and maintenance over the past 16 months but the actual numbers are closer to an ave of 35P/38C/27F.

I don't think the difference really mattered and it's not all that different than the 30P/40C/30F suggested above.

I often get, "woo'd" for saying so but I believe that eating mainly protein and low GI carbs is important for maintaining LBM and reducing BF while eating at deficit or in maintenance.

Lost 38# from 196 to 158 in 7 months and have maintained at 158 +/-3 over the padt 9 months doing so.
  • Tlai84
    Tlai84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you