Couch potato needs help

Options
Hey guys! I have a lightly active lifestyle but haven't really ever been huge into working out. I used to swim and play tennis when I was a kid to stay in shape, but now that I'm a mom those things are difficult to fit in.

I have started the Keto diet so are there any exercises that are better to start with than another? Weight lifting/strength training vs. cardio?

Any imput is very appreciated

Replies

• hltc13084
    hltc13084 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure if with starting the Keto diet if I could exercise as normal while my body was getting used to it. I read electrolytes can be an issue.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    There's no reason not to exercise normally on keto, you could just add a dash salt to some water for electrolytes.
  • imgritz
    imgritz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You need to find an exercise that you like. Any exercise will do.

Group classes are my goto exercise. Bootcamp, CrossFit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to start a keto diet. Just eat a little less than what you have been, per MFP stats. Keto is not magic. I recommend both cardio and weight training. There are lots of ways people on here include their kids into their workouts and activities.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Walking is my fave.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Do anything you enjoy and can make into a habitat. You won't always be motivated to go but once its a habitat and routine it is easier to maintain commitment. Me personally I like variation so I run, play netball, strength train and then do 3x CrossFit classes a week. I don't have kids and my time is my own to fill how I like. I enjoy all of these exercises immensely.
  • shirgify
    shirgify Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like to incorporate activity with my kids. We bike to and from school, I garden like crazy when they are outside playing, my daughter and I dance in the mornings to YouTube. Actually dancing around the house as much as possible while cleaning/straightening up gets in a lot of cardio for me. It can get serious. Then after everyone goes to bed at 8 I can go on a more intense bike ride or walk.
  • Calix805x
    Calix805x Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't take walking for granted...very effective and low impact exercise...try speed walking I do it every morning in a fasted state. Goodluck
  • hltc13084
    hltc13084 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all! My kiddo is just three so it's a little hard for him to keep up with me walking for long periods of time, but you're right I could take his stroller and let him walk for as long as he can.

I do have some very nice free weights I could start using.

I really appreciate the ideas an encouragement.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    hltc13084 wrote: »
    Thanks y'all! My kiddo is just three so it's a little hard for him to keep up with me walking for long periods of time, but you're right I could take his stroller and let him walk for as long as he can.

Walking is great for calorie burning, cardio fitness and overall health. Weight training is the best for reshaping your body. Are you doing keto because you are insulin resistant? Or do you have trouble with carbs causing cravings? If not, it has no metabolic advantage for weight loss and can be difficult to stay with long term.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    hltc13084 wrote: »

Piggyback him for added resistance!
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Get a suitable bike carrier and take him everywhere with you! Then when he gets older get a trail-a-bike and also his own bike to learn. Most likely he'll get to love bike rides and then you'll be a "biking family." We did this for years with two kids. We biked in the evenings and had big bike outings on weekends packed with picnic lunches. My kids are all grown up now but still ride their bikes. It's a great way to get exercise and set a good example for the kids on how to live a healthy lifestyle. Good luck!