In a rut

Options
What's the best way to get out of a binge rut? I'm in one right now and want to get out of it.

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i don't know exactly what you mean by a binge rut. do you mean that you're generally eating too much? are you over restricting and then breaking down and going on a binge? are you just getting started or have you been trying to lose weight for a while?

• jlval1989
    jlval1989 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Tonight, plan your meals for tomorrow.
    Everything you're going to eat, at least two decent meals, and make sure there's room for a snack or two.

Once you've got a plan, it's easier to stick to. Much easier than just winging it - if you're hungry, you're more likely to go for the easy stuff, like crisps. Make a plan, prepare for your meals, and see how you go.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Try journalling - preferably before the binge, but definitely after.

How did you feel just before? What happened to trigger it, if anything? Were you Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired? (HALT) - if so, try to avoid those issues by eating regular nutritious meals, working on your anger with meditation or counseling, call a friend if you're lonely, get more sleep.

What did you eat? Was it the specific food that caused the binge? I have a list of foods that will trigger me to eat them until they are gone or until I'm so stuffed I can't eat more. Those foods I don't buy unless I accept that will happen. I make my decision at the store.

What are your goals? If it's to lose weight, make sure you are logging your food. Then start saying to yourself, "I only need 1900 calories. I have eaten well. I don't need this food."...or whatever you think will work.