ahhh why can't I stay motivated!?!

Options
okay I know what I need to do and for a few days I will do it, then............I get lazy. If I could be consistent I would probably be @ my goal by now! anyone else have this problem? need advice/help!
:sad:

Replies

• whendee05
    Options
    okay I know what I need to do and for a few days I will do it, then............I get lazy. If I could be consistent I would probably be @ my goal by now! anyone else have this problem? need advice/help!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Aha! there's the rub. You just hit on why 90% of us "fall off the bandwagon". I guess there is no magic phrase that can get you to be more consistant. I know that I routinely have bad days and sometimes groups of days, it's all about asking yourself whether you want it or not. If you consider this important to you (as i'm sure you do), then only you can figure out what motivates you the best. We can give you our tips, and maybe some will work for you, but in the end, you need to tell yourself that you won't be a slave to instinct, because that's all it is. Eating badly and skipping workouts has happened to all of us, the way to avoid it is to make sure that when it does happen it doesn't get you down!

Personally, I just have to look in the mirror, it's not that easy for some people though. You have to find what really motivates you and key on it.
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    When I get like that I always look at a Maxim magazine or something. I see all those hot girls and that makes me wanna get off my *kitten*. So to speak. Or if I see them on TV that always gets me motivated. I always feel like crap if Im sitting watching TV with a bowl of ice cream and my hubby is looking at those girls. Im thinking : "I want that to be me" and I dump the ice cream! :laugh: It works for me!
  • 3bearsmom
    Options
    I am alot like that too! I was really good 2 weeks ago and at the end of that week I felt really good. Even though I didn't weigh myself, I could tell I was losing a little. Then the weekend came and I fell off the wagon. I have been having a bit of difficulty getting back on. This morning I started again and I really hope I can keep at it this time. I really want to be down 25 pounds (or more would be great) by July. gggrrr..... I have found that if I eat cookies or sugary cereal I have a really hard time not just eating that kind of food all day. It does help if I can get on here early in the day though. good luck.
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I have a few really good days and then I'll have one "cheat" day and that day turns into several. And then I wonder why the scale isn't budging. hmmm. :laugh:

Anyway, it's like banks1850 said, we have to want it bad enough. Tough it out. Have lots of fruits and veggies around, drink lots of water, chew gum, whatever it takes to get back on the wagon. And not forget to exercise. I find that if I invest my time and energy in a good workout I don't want to eat bad stuff as much.

Thanks for writing this because it's nice to hear that you are not the only one out there struggling with motivation.
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Hi whendee05,

Women are use to cycles. We have to deal with one every month. It took me years of fighting this to realize that I could just go with the flow and if I take a day off or two, that is good.

I don't think it is being lazy. Women have more things to deal with then Men do when it comes to the monthly demands of our cycle. I know this was not about that, but I still think it applies.

We need to stop being so strict about everything and realize it is a new day every day and take it one meal at a time, one day at a time.

I never let myself feel bad about a day or two off, because I think it is healthy, good for my body and this is actually calorie cycling which is the new way everyone is losing weight these days.

The successful goal achiever realizes there will be days off and always just gets back on track w/o guilt or blinking an eye.

TTYL,

Connie Lynn
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I do the same. My problem is that I will decide that I HAVE to clean the house, or get to the yard work and that one day won't be a big deal and then it never fails that one day turns into a week of projects. It's totally a juggling act for me and I need to learn to realize the housework or whatever will still be here when I get home from the gym.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    Motivation--there was a great post on here about intrinsic and extrinsic motivation--one being motivation to please yourself, the other being motivation to please others (loosely defined of course). I find that motivation is really not a factor in success because I lose the motivation quickly. I've been at this seriously since Jan 7th and I lost any motivation I felt a long time ago. I made some peanut butter illd brownies yesterday and, trust me when I say, I am highly motivated to eat most of them with a pot of coffee. But every day I say, "Today I decide to take the steps I need to be healthy by eating correctly and exercising. I give myself permission to decide to do things differently when I wake up tomorrow."

My husband quit smoking a couple of years ago. I asked him about it and he said, "I'm not smoking today. Tomorrow I may wake up and decide I will smoke, but tomorrow's not here yet." That actually made some sense to me. When motivation and will power aren't enough, do it anyway. Hope this helps.
  • ladydianab
    Options
    Boy do I understand this one well. Not only do I have hard time staying motivated I have come to resent the fact that I have to do something to be healthy (stupid, I know). I am being lazy and I know that. I will change because my health and my son depend on it. That has to be my motivation. We are all in this together. Thanks, for the support. di
  • mel555
    Options
    I feel the same way. I was really sick over the weekend and did not eat for several days. I am just starting to eat again. I feel so unmotivated to work out and eat healthy. I just want to consume calories. At this point I do not care what I am eating...I just want to eat.