Piyo + Bad Knee = ?

I found some Piyo videos online that looked rather intriguing and wanted to give them a go. However, with my buggered knee, I am not sure if it would wise to attempt them. Has anyone done it with ACL issues and not had any issues? Or can they recommend adaptations that would assist?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i have not done piyo, but i lived without an ACL for a few years and it was limiting. Use your judgement. I personally wouldn't do it, i had to change all my workouts to slow and steady weight lifting and eliminated anything that involved twisting or jumping around
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Mine is not attached on one end so I may as well not have one. I've been avoiding doing any weightlifting due to that issue but was hoping that anything using resistance of my own body might be of more use.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Are there different piyo routines? The routine I've done at my Y wouldn't be bad for knees. Maybe you can just skip the parts that have any jumping. Can you do squats with your knee problem? I agree with above, use your judgement. Good luck!!!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    I'll give you my perspective. 57 year old male double hip replacement and arthritic knee that eventually has to be replaced. I basically have no ACL as it's totally deteriorated.

As far as exercise it is possible to do it but my suggestion to you would be is to see an orthopedist in conjunction with a physical therapist. The physical therapist will be able to work out a routine for you based on how badly damaged your knee is.

I'll give you my perspective on what you can accomplish with your joint issues. I'm a big fan of Tony Horton and I've done a couple rounds of P90X. Some of the moves I physically can't do and I modify them. One of his routines is plyometric which is jump exercising. One of the movements was a 180 spin jump. Two years ago all I could do is shuffle my feet there was no way in hell I could even attempt it at that time I wait about 280 lb. My current weight is 208. Now I can do multiple 360 spin jumps with an arthritic knee with no ACL.

I know this was long but my point is with the right guidance from a physical therapist in conjunction with the orthopedic surgeon and the right training program you can totally surprise yourself as far as what you'll be able to do.
  • WanderingRivers
    Are there different piyo routines? The routine I've done at my Y wouldn't be bad for knees. Maybe you can just skip the parts that have any jumping. Can you do squats with your knee problem? I agree with above, use your judgement. Good luck!!!

I have been super gunshy about trying squats but Im at the point where the worst that happens is that I'm back at sq 1. Jumping is definitely problematic, same with running.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    How long have you been (literally) limping along without an ACL? Have you seen a doctor/had an MRI? Even if you don't decide to have surgery, a referral to a physical therapist who can help you pick safe exercises would be highly worthwhile.

I'm 16-months post ACL allograph and I still check in with my orthopedic surgeon and PT periodically to make sure I'm on track. Along the way I've met plenty of people who didn't have their ACLs repaired and they have perfectly normal lives--you just have to make sure to build up the rest of the muscles in your core/hips/legs to compensate.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2017
    If you can talk to a physical therapist maybe they could advise you. I have no acl in my right knee and I manage low plyo fine while wearing a knee brace, but would not want to try it without. I can squat and deadlift with few problems as long as I don't attempt it on days when my knee alignment feels bad. Running is okay if I increase distances very slowly to let my leg muscles strengthen.

On the other hand, a lot of Zumba and other cardio routines involve moving the knees sideways or twisting them, and I can't do that. No charleston knee dance for me thanks!
  • WanderingRivers
    mitch16 wrote: »
    How long have you been (literally) limping along without an ACL? Have you seen a doctor/had an MRI? Even if you don't decide to have surgery, a referral to a physical therapist who can help you pick safe exercises would be highly worthwhile.

I'm 16-months post ACL allograph and I still check in with my orthopedic surgeon and PT periodically to make sure I'm on track. Along the way I've met plenty of people who didn't have their ACLs repaired and they have perfectly normal lives--you just have to make sure to build up the rest of the muscles in your core/hips/legs to compensate.

A bit over a decade, since I was struck by a car while on foot. Never had the money to get it repaired so the policy of grin and bear it has been SOP for me.

Repair is on my wishlist, but first a permanent job and benefits are in order before that happens.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member

I have been super gunshy about trying squats but Im at the point where the worst that happens is that I'm back at sq 1. Jumping is definitely problematic, same with running.

you do not use your acl when you squat. Try some assisted trx squats to build up your confidence. just have good form, with or without an acl. keep your knees pressed out, dont let them collaspe in .