Is a flat stomach always attainable for a woman?

Options
So I used to be 115 pounds and I still had a protruding tum tum so I'm just wondering if ever dreaming of a flat stomach with eating a normal, healthy diet is possible for me? Do some people just naturally have bodies that can't be flat?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,065 Member
    Options
    I know I'll never have a flat stomach.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Up until I had my son my stomach was naturally very flat and I carried no extra weight there, it was always my butt and thighs that gained. My body has changed now so I'm not sure that's possible anymore but I'm still gonna try
  • elizabethdzenitis
    Options
    I definitely think that achieving a stomach that's flat all the time is near impossible.

If you look at my profile pic - that's how I look when I wake up in the morning but by the end of the day I normally look like I'm three months pregnant. Basically everyone has ups and downs when it comes to their midsection.

However, what's made the biggest difference is strength training and working my core. My body looks, I think, so much better than it did earlier this year before I started focusing more of following a strength training program.

Ah my tum was never that flat lol I wish .
  • elizabethdzenitis
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I know I'll never have a flat stomach.

At this point same lol

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I did in my 20's and 30's, but now in my 40's it's highly doubtful for me.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I definitely think that achieving a stomach that's flat all the time is near impossible.

If you look at my profile pic - that's how I look when I wake up in the morning but by the end of the day I normally look like I'm three months pregnant. Basically everyone has ups and downs when it comes to their midsection.

However, what's made the biggest difference is strength training and working my core. My body looks, I think, so much better than it did earlier this year before I started focusing more of following a strength training program.

Agreed here. Sometimes I have a flat tummy. But, not after eating a big plate of vegetables and a carbonated beverage.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I love this thread I don't feel so alone. I've never had a flat stomach and I feel like no matter how much weight I lose I'll never have one! I got a little saggy pouch!
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    One flat stomach trick is flexing your abs. Whatever you look like flexed is your real ab/stomach look. Preferably not after a meal.

Its like the thigh gap trick: tilt pelvis so that your butt is pointing out a bit, in slim fit jeans or tights. You will have more of a chance at thigh gap that way.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    svel713 wrote: »
    One flat stomach trick is flexing your abs. Whatever you look like flexed is your real ab/stomach look. Preferably not after a meal.

Its like the thigh gap trick: tilt pelvis so that your butt is pointing out a bit, in slim fit jeans or tights. You will have more of a chance at thigh gap that way.

I like Samantha Bee but it seems like on her show she's always standing so as to have a thigh gap and that's so incongruous I find it very distracting.

(I'd forgotten all about thigh gaps since I was a teenager until hitting the MFP forums a few years ago.)
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

This is me. Thanks to heavy lifting, I wake up with a relatively flat tummy, with a few deliberate curves and valleys. Then I eat and it looks like I had a balloon for breakfast. :disappointed:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    How are your core muscles? When standing you contract them just a bit? It's not really "sucking in" but part of good posture.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    svel713 wrote: »

Wow these are excellent posing tips. Any more?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    When I was 22, was running 4 miles a day, doing crunches, and was down to 112, I had a 6 pack ( not lifting any weights). It was great, but not sustainable. Heavy weight lifters seem to have good, muscular bellies, at the right weight.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I know I'll never have a flat stomach. I'm excited to be a certian weight, let alone picking on parts of my body.

I think if I knew what I know now, in my 20's I could have. But I'm going to be 39 in a few months and my body has changed significantly. I know I weigh less than I did then, but I don't look like I do. Because I'm not as active as I was. Life stages change and things go on.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think it's possible now that I've seen pictures of women with flat bellies or with a 6 pack show themselves unflexed. However, I don't use that as an excuse not to try to get to that flat belly area :)
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    After 5 kids my upper stomach is flat with abs but my lower stomach is not. I wake up with a relatively flat stomach but after eating anything it balloons out... I agree if I had known now at 35 what I did at 25 before kids I would've of loved to see what my stomach could've done 6 pack wise!

Posing tip- stand with your hand on your hip instead of flat by your side.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    As a woman who has had 4 full term pregnancies, and also has a VERY short torso, I'm honestly not sure it's even possible for me to get the "perfect flat stomach". I'm learning to be ok with that. I'm at a healthy weight, I'm getting stronger, my muffin top is gone, a little stomach pooch is a small price for 4 awesome kiddos.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I never have and I doubt I ever will. B)