Yesterday was not a good day

Options
Yesterday was not a good day. I pulled an 11 hour shift at work (at a desk naturally so no exercise), came home all ready to cook dinner and found that the chicken was still frozen. I'd had my husband pull some chicken breast out to thaw around mid afternoon with the intention of doing ranch Doritos crusted oven-fried chicken strips with roasted broccoli and a side of cheese pasta. I was really looking forward to this. I had stopped at Kroger JUST before they closed to pick up milk and broccoli to make this happen. We had no other meat thawed, and had been out of town last weekend so had not yet stocked up on other perishables. I had my meal preps, but needed to be able to feed the both of us and my husband needs significantly more calories than I do (and is much more of a picky eater to the point that he wouldn't have wanted them). It was late. I was exhausted and stressed out already. Places were closed or closing. I gave in. We drove up to the coney island because they're 24 hour and I stuffed myself. And then, because I already felt like crying, I ate a piece of pie. At least I logged it. Yesterday was not a good day. Today is a new day. And I'm gonna be honest here I could really use some support to keep me positive. We shall see.

Replies

• chrismellor01
    chrismellor01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Today is indeed a new day.

One day of bad stuff won't hurt and more important - you know you did it, didn't like it and so you know not to do it again:) You logged which is a smart thing to do - you are not hiding from it:) Well done.

Relax, learn from mistakes and improve.

You can do it, you will do it:)
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    We've all been there! You're in good company!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yesterday is gone. Let it go.

Next time could you thaw the chicken in the microwave?
  • Ree13x
    Ree13x Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Unfortunately I've never managed to successfully defrost anything in the microwave without bits 'cooking' before it's thawed in the center. Since I wanted to do breading on the outside this would have been kinda problematic and not something I was prepared to cope with at that point in the evening. It's a good thought, and one that my husband had also brought up. If I'd had more vegetables on hand I would have done exactly this, defrosted it in a marinade of some sort, then cut it up for a stir-fry.

• Ree13x
    Ree13x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support. I really needed this today <3
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Ree13x wrote: »

Unfortunately I've never managed to successfully defrost anything in the microwave without bits 'cooking' before it's thawed in the center. Since I wanted to do breading on the outside this would have been kinda problematic and not something I was prepared to cope with at that point in the evening. It's a good thought, and one that my husband had also brought up. If I'd had more vegetables on hand I would have done exactly this, defrosted it in a marinade of some sort, then cut it up for a stir-fry.

Something that works for me is to defrost in increments. Like 5 min at a time and once the pieces can be pulled apart, turn and put those that were on the inside on the outside or even defrost them a bit more by themselves. It takes a bit longer but in my microwave I can prevent getting cooked bits on the outside this way.
  • dcgarrick44
    dcgarrick44 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A bad day does not define you, only makes you more committed. Brush it off and keep moving forward.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I overate last weekend for three days. Like, anything I wanted snackwise and big meals because I was on vacation. I gained 2 pounds and have lost one in 5 days. In the big scheme of things your one meal is a teeny tiny blip. Just get back on track for this weekend especially.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I bought a pressure cooker and can cook frozen chicken in 25 min. Is pretty neat.