Not getting enough calcium . . . suggestions?

Options
annton5
annton5 Posts: 12 Member
I love to drink coffee and diet pop. A deadly combination for a diet low in calcium. I never realized how little calcium I was consuming a day but now that I've been tracking it, I'm maybe getting 1/3 of the recommended amount. I thought that if I eat lots of yogurt and brocolli that I would gets lots but that doesn't seem to be the case because I can't eat those things everyday. I am looking for suggestions on how to improve my calcium that is easy on the waistline. Suggestions?

Christa

Replies

• Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ALMOND MILK!!!

Seriously. Almond milk is delicious and low cal and TONS of calcium.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Take a suppliment
  • Ctyndall81
    Options
    Im a Shaklee rep and recommend buying a suppliment. We have something called Osteomatrix and Ive used it for 4 years. Absolutely luv it! :)
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is a good one and also silk milk. The chocolate silk milk I drink has 30 grams of calcium in it!!! Also take a woman's one a day which will give you 40 gms. I had to change my diary settings to show calcium to give you some ideas. Wow didn't realize I went over on calcium usually lol. I agree almond milk is delicious:) Good luck!
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    Almond milk!!!
  • eouimet
    eouimet Posts: 29
    Options
    gummy calci vites!! love em
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I take a chocolate flavored chewable supplement. It's the generic version of Viactiv. It's a lovely treat every morning and night with 50-60% of the daily requirement per chew.
  • guinessngolf
    Options
    I second the almond milk. Silk's unsweetened variety has only 35 calories a cup! If you want to splurge, 90 calories a cup will get you the Vanilla Almond Milk or my personal fave Dark Chocolate Almond Milk, it's delicious.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    ALMOND MILK!!!

Seriously. Almond milk is delicious and low cal and TONS of calcium.

^^yes. also you could take a calcium supplement
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I really struggle to get enough calcium too. I've started building 3 glasses of skim milk a day into my diet, thinking of it as medicine rather than food. I used to really resent those calories from a food I don't even like, but plain skim milk is the "cheapest" (in calorie terms) way to get that calcium, and we've got to get it. If I can't make myself drink it all, I'll at least have the first glass with breakfast and then take a calcium pill after dinner. A few drops of vanilla essence or half a teaspoon of sugar and half a teaspoon of cocoa make it much more palatable without adding many calories.

PS my doctor says it's much better to get Ca from milk than from supplements, as the body often doesn't absorb it properly from supplements.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Skim milk. Really. 1 cup of skim milk has 80 calories and 30% of your daily calcium needs. It also has vitamin D, which is essential for absorption. There have been studies showing that women who drink 2 or more cups a day of skim milk lost weight better than those who didn't - including diet soda drinkers.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I found "VitaFusion Calcium Gummy's" at Wal-Mart and Kroger. They are yummy. I sometimes find myself grabbing 2 when I want something sweet (assuming I haven't had them for the day!).
  • Ctyndall81
    Options
    If you choose to use a suppliment you should take time to research whats in it and who makes it. There are actually many suppliments out there that contain lead and tar to hold them together. You can actually bake a vitamin suppliment to see what comes out of it. Ive done it. Research the company that make the suppliment and the people that stand behind the products. If you find one you like suppliments can be very helpful and effective! And some doctors are correct by saying alot of suppliments dont break down but thats why you need to do the research. But in my personal opinion... Ive seen a huge change in my life and my childrens by using supplimentation and Ive learned that doctors don't always have all the answers when it comes to more natural ways. Good luck to you!
  • wintermama13
    wintermama13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Spinach, brocolli, peas, baked beans, almonds, tofu, salmon are all good sources :smile:
  • Ctyndall81
    Options
    YUM!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a glass of milk a day would help...
  • annton5
    annton5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will try that!