Does blood donation will burn calories ?

Options

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Not really- I just eat a little more and call it a day to make sure I feel well.
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Does anybody else like making it a race and trying to see how fast you can fill the bag? I usually end up furiously squeezing that little ball thing to make the blood come out faster!
    Absolutely- I always set a timer on myself. I'm a quick bleeder- I also hate donating- but I do it b/c I'm good at it- I have excellent veins and there is no reason not to- and I know others cannot. So I do it.
    It takes an hr out of my day and I get free cookies.
    So win win.

But the sooner I'm done the happier I am.

I'm a good bleeder as well. The nurses love my veins because they're so easy to hit.
  • Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I donated blood but my strategy was always to eat a pack of cookies, not log it, and call it even.
  • Dinow
    Dinow Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all suggestions. I will definitely stay hydrated no problem. Take day off from exercise . I will enjoy the cookies. I was not planning to track the blood donation
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Dinow wrote: »
    I am donating blood next Saturday for first time not sure what to expect. Any help greatly appreciated. Should I eat a big breakfast thank you

If you've never done it before, i would eat a healthy breakfast and drink extra water before you go. Congratulations
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    HermanLily wrote: »
    I've donated over 8 gallons, 1 pint at a time. Never lost any true weight, so I would not log it. Congratulations on your donation though, each pint has the potential to save 3 lives.
    @HermanLily
    Wow - that's seriously impressive.

You may not have lost any weight but you would in theory you would be almost 12lbs heavier if you hadn't donated so that's a nice bonus for doing something incredibly generous.

Thank you....i of course assume I lost the 16 ounces or what have you, but as my body regenerated it, it came back.
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    If you are a "difficult stick" (do phlebotomists have trouble finding your veins) it also helps to up your sodium intake the day before so you can plump up your veins.

Hey, thanks for that! I'm O-neg so my blood's in high demand and I donate every 16 weeks. So silly that Canadian Blood Services upped it from every 12 weeks for women. :( But I am a "difficult stick" so I shall have some extra sodium before my appointment next Saturday!

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    h9dlb wrote: »
    Scraping the barrel here ! It's like one of those posts that says "I vacuumed today can I eat a whole packet of biscuits".

Not being rude but you need to change your mindset or the weight will never come off. Just trying to be helpful.

I agree with you. I wish I could donate blood but I am under the weight required for donation so I admire, respect, and congratulate all the donors. Thank you and well done.

On the other hand, trying to log calories for making love or donating blood, specially to justify eating more, takes the value of the donation and the pleasure of having an intimate moment with your love one out of the equation. In my opinion it diminish the acts.

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I wish I could donate blood but I had just a blood draw (1 tiny vial) and I passed out.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    cjv73 wrote: »
    If you are a "difficult stick" (do phlebotomists have trouble finding your veins) it also helps to up your sodium intake the day before so you can plump up your veins.

Hey, thanks for that! I'm O-neg so my blood's in high demand and I donate every 16 weeks. So silly that Canadian Blood Services upped it from every 12 weeks for women. :( But I am a "difficult stick" so I shall have some extra sodium before my appointment next Saturday!

"O+" here so I am almost as much in demand as you. I was always on the borderline so half the time I got sent home for low iron. Yet another reason to celebrate menopause, My hemoglobin is consistently between 13.5 and 14 now so I never get sent home. I am also a difficult stick because my veins are deep and like to roll. A friend who is a phlebotomist told me about the extra sodium. I often have some cheese and nuts the night before (or popcorn, the other salty thing I like).
  • Sweetnsimpleblond
    Sweetnsimpleblond Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I hadn't realized donating blood burns calories. I guess I've never paid much attention to it. I have to start getting phlebotomies as treatments for a blood disorder I was recently diagnosed with. I have to get 500ml taken every 4 weeks. I'm going to ask my hematologist about relation to calories. Interesting...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

"O+" here so I am almost as much in demand as you. I was always on the borderline so half the time I got sent home for low iron. Yet another reason to celebrate menopause, My hemoglobin is consistently between 13.5 and 14 now so I never get sent home. I am also a difficult stick because my veins are deep and like to roll. A friend who is a phlebotomist told me about the extra sodium. I often have some cheese and nuts the night before (or popcorn, the other salty thing I like).

O- for me- but they are in high demand for all blood- I don't think they have any type that they just have lots of sitting around. Blood gets used faster than people can donate and it DOES have shelf life if It doesn't get used.

I'm also borderline for iron- the last two times I got sent home :( makes me feel like a failure- even though I don't want to do it- I used to get it excited (like good job- I tired for my good deed too bad so sad BAI)- but now I started taking it personally LOL_ I almost cried last time- so absurd.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    I wish I could donate blood but I had just a blood draw (1 tiny vial) and I passed out.

@katadx

I stopped donating after I did the same - felt fine and then next minute I was coming back round with one nurse elevating my legs and one fanning my face with her clipboard.
    Not worried by needles or blood but there's something about drawing my blood that has flipped me out a few times over the years and it can be just one tiny syringe full.

It took my Mum's emergency need for blood to make me face up to the fact that being embarrassed is OK, embarrassing my wife who was in the next chair is OK too. :)

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Not really- I just eat a little more and call it a day to make sure I feel well.
    Does anybody else like making it a race and trying to see how fast you can fill the bag? I usually end up furiously squeezing that little ball thing to make the blood come out faster!
    Absolutely- I always set a timer on myself. I'm a quick bleeder- I also hate donating- but I do it b/c I'm good at it- I have excellent veins and there is no reason not to- and I know others cannot. So I do it.
    It takes an hr out of my day and I get free cookies.
    So win win.

But the sooner I'm done the happier I am.

I'm a good bleeder as well. The nurses love my veins because they're so easy to hit.

Me too.
    Generally less than 5 mins, often closer to 4!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

@katadx

I stopped donating after I did the same - felt fine and then next minute I was coming back round with one nurse elevating my legs and one fanning my face with her clipboard.
    Not worried by needles or blood but there's something about drawing my blood that has flipped me out a few times over the years and it can be just one tiny syringe full.

It took my Mum's emergency need for blood to make me face up to the fact that being embarrassed is OK, embarrassing my wife who was in the next chair is OK too. :)

Do they still take your blood? I remember if you had any issues DURING the donation they couldn't use it from what I understand- but after it was fine.

I get light headed sometimes too- eh- it is what it is. happens to a lot of people. As long as they can use the blood- they don't care. LOL Good for you for doing it even if it makes you uncomfortable.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@katadx

Do they still take your blood? I remember if you had any issues DURING the donation they couldn't use it from what I understand- but after it was fine.

I get light headed sometimes too- eh- it is what it is. happens to a lot of people. As long as they can use the blood- they don't care. LOL Good for you for doing it even if it makes you uncomfortable.

@JoRocka

I just warn them that there's a 1 in 4 chance I may faint and they are fine about it. Normally it's when the needle is withdrawn or soon afterwards. I seem to get a shock reaction.
    Funniest one (for other people) was when I had a sample taken, felt absolutely fine so Doctor moved on to take a sample from my wife. Next thing I was aware of there was a gruesome groaning sound like a soul in torment and I wondered who on earth was making such an awful noise....

Then I realised it was me!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

O+ as well and the red cross loves me. i have also donated platelets multiple times and it takes a lot longer, but at UCLA they used to set you up in a comfy chair and put on a movie for you which is nice. i never considered the metabolic effects but agree on the exercise break for a day or so.