A healthier approach to weightloss

Since suffering with binging and purging for such a long time, I've finally put my foot down and I'm ready to lose weight and eat the proper way, yes my main goal is to lose weight but another goal is to take care of myself too ,mentally. I've got alot of good vibes for this new beginning, lets see where this takes me. If anyone has any tips, advice or healthy recipes let me know, thank you

Replies

• My advice would be to not look for healthy recipes, but instead investigate what constitutes a healthy diet, how to fit that in with your life, schedule and preferences, and learn to cook.

I know I definitely need to be more educated on topics about food and exercise, but I never thought about those aspects too, thank you
  • julesEMS2016
    julesEMS2016 Posts: 44 Member
    My very first tip is to take it one day at a time. If you happen to not eat perfectly on any given day, it's OK. Just continue with your goals "tomorrow".
    Goals- pick a few daily goals that you believe are easy enough for you to complete. Use these mini goals as your foundation to a healthier lifestyle.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    My advice would be to not look for healthy recipes, but instead investigate what constitutes a healthy diet, how to fit that in with your life, schedule and preferences, and learn to cook.

I know I definitely need to be more educated on topics about food and exercise, but I never thought about those aspects too, thank you

Those other things make it sustainable.

Like you can have great plans to always bring lunch, but if you never prepare it the night before and resort to last minute decision and eat out at not great place and unknown calories - then it's not realistic.

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin.

• DDBooBoo57
    DDBooBoo57 Posts: 17 Member
    It seems that every healthy diet includes a directive to "eat more fruits and vegetables." The USDA says to eat 9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. It is a struggle for me to eat that much, but I try.

Also, prepping on Saturday for food to bring to work for the week helps. I make fruit cups for breakfast (that I eat with plain greek yogurt or a hard boiled egg), salads for lunch, and healthy snacks (usually nuts and clementines). Making the food on Saturday helps because in case I'm too tired, I have Sunday as a fall back. Also, if you cut up the fruit and the lettuce yourself, they stay fresh longer and can usually withstand being in the fridge until Friday.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    With bulimia comes different issues. I suggest enlisting a mental health professional specializing in bulimia. You'll have to overcome what your personal triggers are for BP cycles. Some professionals suggest starting at maintenance calories to avoid binging from the start.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    leggup wrote: »
    With bulimia comes different issues. I suggest enlisting a mental health professional specializing in bulimia. You'll have to overcome what your personal triggers are for BP cycles. Some professionals suggest starting at maintenance calories to avoid binging from the start.

Agreed. This will be the biggest factor in your success.

• leggup wrote: »

I've made an appointment at my local health clinic for monday but ive tried therapy and done countless of therapy sessions but they just don't seem to get me on the right track I always end up over thinking everything they say. Im so motivated this time around and I've figured out a few things that trigger these cycles but I think the best for me is to have a bigger breakfast and make sure it includes the right nutrition, hopefully as this better journey comes along I'll also figure out how meal prep properly and start at a gym, im definitely full of hope