IIFYM Newbie, 25 lbs down, now what?!

Options
Hello, I'm Meg
I'm at my work computer so I can't post pictures, but will be soon
I was at 184 in February 2017 - I am 5 foot 5 female almost 25 years old.
I was in denial for a long time, but eventually got the motivation and started dieting
For a few months I wasn't counting, just eating better foods and the weight flew off
I hit about 165-163 and took some time off, but maintained, and later started counting (1200-1400/day)
I went through a 10-15 day period of eating sub-1000 cals when I was going through some personal issues, I was doing cardio and lifting every day, net calories ~200-400.. Quickly stopped that and went back to maintenance for a while, but not after losing 10 lbs in the 15 days. That was in July - Fast forward to now, September, I have been eating 75/80% good and the rest balancing what I want, cravings. On 9/24 I bit the bullet and started macro counting - I have pretty much maintained 155.2-155.6 for the week.
What are you experiences with beginning IIFYM? I feel satisfied a lot of the time nutritionally, but am living in constant fear of "gaining" or not losing (which I am trying to get past)
What was your workout style when you started IIFYM?

I'm eating ~1570, 137g Protein, 118g Carbs, 61g Fat
lifting about 3 days a week, cardio like 1-2

Replies

• maiseybehrends
    maiseybehrends Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started IIFYM yesturday and was given macros of calories 1825, Protein 125, Carbs 185, Fat 65
    I weight train 4x a week and cardio 2x a week. I'm currently 155lbs and 5'6 and have been consistantly working out like this for a year so I have alot of muscle already. I feel myself that this is too many calories and carbs to consume. (I also fear that I will gain). I Wonder why our macros differ so much? where did you go to find those or did you order it from IIFYM.com?
  • megbrewerr
    megbrewerr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did IIFYM - I have a sedentary lifestyle right now (I don't count working out when considering this, more like working out is a bonus) - wrote that I work out 3x a week, because I feel like my workouts lately haven't been very intense (I made friends at the gym, BIG mistake lol)
    When just doing it, I get these results:

Protein Grams :123
    Fat Grams : 62
    Carbs Grams : 133
    Fiber Grams : 23-31

When all of these macros are added up, you get a total of 1586 calories.

I took the advice of my boyfriend and did higher protein than carb %, he advised me it will help with muscle

Then any differences are just due to myfitnesspal making me use % to calculate the gram goals instead of setting the grams myself. It could be because of the lifestyle I chose when filling it out, or because I only wrote that I work out 3x/week
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is just a concept that was born out of the fitness industry...namely the bodybuilding industry and bb.com when someone would ask something like, "hey bruh...if I eat this oatmeal, will it ruin my gains?" Stock answer...IIFYM.

IIFYM isn't really a "diet"...it is used by many for losing weight, maintaining weight, and gaining weight.

Also, the IIFYM website isn't really IIFYM...it spits out a default macro ratio when in reality, there is no one size fits all macro profile.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in full support of the IIFYM "lifestyle." It all adds up the same, but I think it's healthier to count macros than to just count calories. I counted macros while doing NROL4W in my last year of college (lifting progressively heavy weights 3x/week, doing occasional hula hooping/yoga as cardio) - I seriously looked better than ever, and I was strong!
  • megbrewerr
    megbrewerr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.. I'm just anxious about the calorie intake because the dumber me ate too little in the past and relied on cardio.. I know that isn't the way to have a sustainable lifestyle, but my family has a history of some ED and the habits are ingrained a little.. when I weigh myself and see what is obviously water weight I still panic at times. Looking forward to being more comfortable with my results