Is there any shame...?

Options
We're going away for the weekend, a last minute surprise. :smile:

My honey wants to hike along the PCT, on a trail we've done before this time of year, to enjoy fall color. My company is not required, although I'm welcome to come.

I've been wanting to ride my bike up to the trailhead for years. It's not going to be an easy ride, and I should have tapered a few days ago to do it this weekend. I'm tempted to try anyway, but probably shouldn't. (The full ride would be 10 miles of pavement followed by 13 of dirt and gravel, with 5,600 feet of elevation gain, almost all on the dirt section. It gets steepest near the end. I should be fresh for that.)

It's already snowing a thousand feet below the top, so I won't get another chance until July.

I'm thinking about parking halfway up and riding to the top, where the best scenery is. But I won't really have earned it.

What would you do? Because it's a last minute trip, we're staying in different hotels tonight and tomorrow night, so if I bring the bike, I'll be committed to riding it - nowhere safe to store it.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You will definitely earn it if you ride halfway up! No one else will know and we each have to do our best based on where we're at at the time.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You know you wanna do it, so do it! Even if you ride up half way, so what, this gives you a chance to do it again in July if you enjoy it!

And take some awesome excursion pics to share!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Thanks, both of you. Feeling indecisive, and a little intimidated. I guess I just need a little bit of a push.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    No shame at all :) The ride's for you alone, and "earning" the peace and beauty of the route only involves putting your bike on the trail from wherever you decide to start and peddling as far as you choose. Don't waste the serendipity!
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yeah, half way up and at least judge your condition after to see if you think you can do it next year.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    I'd do the hike, but I love hiking and I enjoy spending time with DH and the dog. Especially given the snow on top, there's safety in numbers.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that anytime you have a chance to ride a bicycle you should take it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Ride what you want and log what you ride. Seems simple enough.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    The paved ride is really only a means to the end. Drive it. The part you want is the higher elevation, the scenery, and the dirt track. Do the part you are wanting. You can do the other ride another day.

Cheers, h.