Is anyone else on here using SAXENDA injections??

Options
Jvolk2014
Jvolk2014 Posts: 1 Member
Hey all, I'm just wondering if anyone else out there is taking the saxenda injections for weight loss? I thought maybe we would all be able to help each other out and answer each others questions and ell each other figure out things we at unsure about as it is new and there isn't a lot of info out there yet! Let me know what you think

Replies

• hopetobelean
    hopetobelean Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am. I started one week ago. No weight loss yet. Just heartburn.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Interesting - research needed on my part!

Always like to see what the latest products are.

Okay, here is for my current analysis - I hope that it helps to inspire you to get where you want to be but, honestly, if you're having to pay for this product. Likely you're spending unnecessary money.
    There isn't a product out there that causes weight loss (there is no proven and scientifically backed science behind thermogenic products) so, if they're cheap, safe (VERY important - from a trusted and well known source) and they help keep you motivated.. then fair play, who am I to judge but - otherwise, save yourself money. Or better yet, get a new set of workout clothing worth the same to help keep you on track and feeling good!

All the best!

Edit:

An extract from their site-
    and I quote:
    is an FDA-approved, prescription injectable medicine that, when used with a low-calorie meal plan and increased physical ...
    So, essentially - they're saying it actually does nothing. You're doing the work.

This is purely my opinion though and if it helps keep you motivated then - good luck and all the best!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    It's a scam if you ask me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • marallewis
    marallewis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am. I have been on a medically monitored weight loss plan since 2015. I lost 80lbs. I've had some issues since the spring, and my weight is back up. To help me get some control over late in the day overeating, and some quick success, my Dr. put me on Saxenda. I'm in wk 3, my dose just went up. I've lost 15lbs in 3 weeks. I started at 234lbs, am now 219 and am happiest around 180lbs (I'm tall). Saxenda really helped me get control over my cravings, and better able to stick to my Dr.'s plan for me. I'd recommend giving it a try if you need help!
  • bio79
    bio79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Interesting - research needed on my part!

Always like to see what the latest products are.

Okay, here is for my current analysis - I hope that it helps to inspire you to get where you want to be but, honestly, if you're having to pay for this product. Likely you're spending unnecessary money.
    There isn't a product out there that causes weight loss (there is no proven and scientifically backed science behind thermogenic products) so, if they're cheap, safe (VERY important - from a trusted and well known source) and they help keep you motivated.. then fair play, who am I to judge but - otherwise, save yourself money. Or better yet, get a new set of workout clothing worth the same to help keep you on track and feeling good!

All the best!

Edit:

An extract from their site-
    and I quote:
    is an FDA-approved, prescription injectable medicine that, when used with a low-calorie meal plan and increased physical ...
    So, essentially - they're saying it actually does nothing. You're doing the work.

This is purely my opinion though and if it helps keep you motivated then - good luck and all the best!

For what it is worth - Saxenda is not really for people that calories in / calories out works for. Though it is being marketed as a weight loss drug, it doesn't have magical weight loss properties. There are no claims of thermogenesis or blocking fat or anything like that.

It is designed to fix metabolic issues including things like insulin resistance, leptin resistance and can regulate blood sugar. It is the same medication as Victoza which is a diabetes medication but in a higher dose. It acts on the gut hormones (according to my endocrinologist) it's only "active" weight loss property is that the GLP-1 receptor drugs can curb appetite. But if you don't have the genuine metabolic issues that it combats it likely wouldn't work. The manufacturers even say that if you don't lose at least 4% of your bodyweight in 16 weeks it is not working and is not going to work.

I have PCOS, confirmed insulin resistance (they are checking me for insulinomas in the next few months because my body has been producing too much insulin even before I had PCOS issues and got overweight - like since I was 10 or younger), and possibly leptin resistance. No amount of counting calories, weighing and measuring food has helped. After the extensive tests my endocrinologist has done she recommended it because she felt I was a good candidate and that I would have very limited success without intervention. I have been on it 8 weeks and have lost 10% of my total body weight so far. I do eat at a deficit still and I eat a balanced diet. But it has definitely changed my hunger levels and is definitely making my body work like it is supposed to. I take metformin as well.

It isn't a miracle drug, and it isn't for people that don't have metabolic issues (and isn't for things like thyroid issues as far as I know) but it is possibly a good therapy for people with certain conditions.
  • robinlf1963
    robinlf1963 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used it for three months, saw great results in month one....16 pounds. Month two and three were about 2 or 3 pounds per month. I stopped during the fourth month as I was losing a great amount of hair. I have been off a month and have maintained fairly well but I can tell my appetite is back in full force. Wondering if taking it for a month and then going off for a few will bring back the rapid weight loss from the first month.