Orangetheory

Options
Does anyone else here go to Orangetheory? I've recently started taking classes there and I love it! I guess the downside is it's spendy if you want to go more than once a week. I was curious if others have seen results?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    There are a few threads by zealots around if you search for them.

If you take the branding away, then yes circuit training can be effective
  • harperwest
    harperwest Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    azrael240 wrote: »
    Does anyone else here go to Orangetheory? I've recently started taking classes there and I love it! I guess the downside is it's spendy if you want to go more than once a week. I was curious if others have seen results?

I just started about 2 weeks ago... I've been doing Weight Watchers and lost about 30lbs, and have wanted to try Orangetheory. I'm totally hooked and I signed up for Premier. I've been doing 4 clases a week, I want this to work. I've actually gained a couple of lbs but everyone tells me it's muscle weight. I can actually see some changes changes in the mirror and I feel it in my clothes. And I'm in Arizona too
  • marksweightloss
    marksweightloss Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about trying Orangetheory myself, I was kinda worried that I wouldn't be able to do the workout...I also live in AZ
  • Jfrerichs
    Jfrerichs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love Orange Theory!!! I feel so empowered after a workout.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I know one if their top trainers who tells me she has people of all fitness levels in her classes. I havent tried it yet but love the idea..dont love the price.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    I know one if their top trainers who tells me she has people of all fitness levels in her classes. I havent tried it yet but love the idea..dont love the price.

It's just generic circuit training with a marketing campaign behind it. Excessively expensive for what it is.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love it. The trainers at my gym are great and push me beyond what I ever thought I could do. Worth the money to me because it's fun and something I will keep going to.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Love it... 1 month in. Only lost 1 lb but gained muscle & very happy with how my body is shaping up. Also love the friendly people/camaraderie & burning 500 cal in 60 min. Splats are motivating to me & I get 12 or more most sessions, which gives me an instant goal each time.
    Some days I’m like - why am I killing myself??! Other days- beast mode... but I ALWAYS feel amazing the next day!
    Only go 2x a week. I think I would get bored if I did it more often, but then again I feel like if I had more time I want to go 3x a week. There is NO way I would push myself that hard on my own, that’s for certain!! So they can have my $ for now.

Good for any level bc you can power walk at higher inclines or use an elliptical or bike instead of jogging or running on the treadmill, but I think it’s a hard workout if you are new to gyms/equipment.
    Make sure you have properly fitting running shoes for the treadmill. There really isn’t a “warm up”, and cool down is only like 5 min @ my studio, fyi.
  • JillKad
    JillKad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A little late to the party -- but I love OTF! I joined right before Thanksgiving starting at the 8 classes per month and switched to the Unlimited in January. Always feel so badass that I can complete those hard workouts (at my pace) but regardless. I don't really take the "you're burning more calories for 2 days" into consideration anymore and just focus on eating healthy daily.

Currently in the transformation challenge going 3-4 times/week. Clothes are fitting better. I feel stronger. Performance is improving. Trying to get away from the number on the scale and work toward lowering BFP and inches. Excited to keep going with it and keep seeing more results!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »

It's just generic circuit training with a marketing campaign behind it. Excessively expensive for what it is.

I tried it once and would agree. It's good but overrated.

Also, when I dropped by it was group session night, and I was not a fan. This works for some, but if you like to go hard and fast, you might feel frustrated if you're teamed up with someone a lot less intense.

That's what happened to me. As part of the circuit, one partner was supposed to keep rowing while the other person covered a prescribed distance on the treadmill. I ran as fast as I could during my turn, but after we swapped places, my partner went for a leisurely walk on the treadmill -- not even a brisk walk. This took so long that I started to lose steam on the rower, and so I definitely didn't get the full benefit of a rapid circuit.

In short, I see why some people would like it, but it's definitely not for me.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Other than the fantastically optimistic epoc estimates, it seems fine. It's was a bit too expensive for a dumbbell/treadmill circuit for me, though.