I hate the scale.

Options
Does anyone get completely discouraged when you feel like you had a week that was on point, but then you step on the scale and all those feelings of accomplishment and motivation go down the drain. How do you tell yourself that the scale isn't the only measure of progress?

Replies

• kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday because I like to see the fluctuations and chart the data in the Libra App. I can go up one day, down the next, so I like that after a week I can take an average...

Honestly, I go by how my clothes fit. Today I'm wearing jeans that I haven't been able to wear in 4 years. They are my "goal" jeans. My weight can fluctuated all it wants just so these jeans fit...LOL
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should do monthly weigh ins. You are going to have ups and downs. If you know you are doing everything right...focus on measurements vs. the scale.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Take the power away from the scale! It's just one of many tools to use to track your weight loss. Measurements and how you feel in clothes is just as, if not more, important.

Also, weight loss isn't immediate. If you had a great week then keep it up because you'll see the results on the scale the following week or even the week after that. Adjusting your expectations will make this a whole lot less stressful for you.
  • craycrawfish
    craycrawfish Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wasn't completely discouraged, but was completely surprised when I stepped on the scale this morning & was 2 lbs heavier than last week. Although this was my first week and I jumped right in to strength training & cardio. Just thought it would at least be the same.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scales and use a tape measure once a fortnight
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I absolutely detest the scale!

I have been on a plateau for 1 month literally. I am so frustrated I just want to say the heck with it and eat and drink my wine! But I can't give up. I am going to try some things different and weigh myself in one week so I can make adjustments. I was weighing myself every two weeks but realize that is not good if I need to make adjustments quicker.

I have lost inches and my BF% is going down so that is good. I try not to let the number on the scale affect me but it does. But then again I tell myself there are more important things in the world to think about than myself and a vain number on the scale. So I press on.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You say you "Jumped right in" to exercise. That explains it. Whereas some others lose a lot in the first week due to losing a lot of water from reducing their sodium intake, your increased exercise is probably causing you to hold a bit of water while your muscles adapt. No worries.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    Options
    I tell myself that the scale isn't the only measure of progress by using other measures of progress! :)

Like @lorrpb, @BZAH10, @h9dlb, and @dbanks80 said: take photos, use a measuring tape, get your Body Fat tested via hydrostatic weighing or a bodpod or DEXA scan. Evaluate your energy and how your clothes fit. Celebrate the little things. Don't become chained to a scale. Life happens outside of that 12"x12" little metal measuring tool.

• JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    mcdowaaa wrote: »
    Does anyone get completely discouraged when you feel like you had a week that was on point, but then you step on the scale and all those feelings of accomplishment and motivation go down the drain. How do you tell yourself that the scale isn't the only measure of progress?

a scale is a unit of measure, simply that. Do your clothes fit better? Do YOU FEEL BETTER? More energy, less fatigue? Are you happy with your changes so far?

Ill just say this I was 194 on tuesday before a workout, and thursday i was 197 before another. I dont typically check my weight that much. You will float some from time to time and depending on sodium and water levels, and what you ate.

Id encourage you to set the scale aside and only visit after at the most 10 to 14 days between checks.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Depends. Did you gain? Stay the same ? Or not lose as much as you hoped?
  • Laural7
    Laural7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    my main measure is jeans I watch the scale but I just zipped my goal for Christmas Jeans but per the scale I didn't loose all that much but a month ago those didn't even come up my thighs so screw it taking the win. look for little things like hey my sports bra isn't like wrestling a boa constrictor any more or oooo no more biscuit dough over my favorite jeans. good luck!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Depends. Did you gain? Stay the same ? Or not lose as much as you hoped?

This!

I've definitely has weeks where I was convinced I was going to lose at least 2lb, get on the scales and gained 1lb. Grrr. This happened last week even! I knew I had overdone it at the previous weekend but thougth I had come back, nope, 1lb gain.

However this week, I lost over 6lb (2.9kg). That was a surprise! but balanced out the gain last week.

so dont let the scales dominate your journey, let it be little signposts or markers instead, and have the road the rest of the changes.
  • DarkWaffleLord
    DarkWaffleLord Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't pay too much attention to the scale. Muscle weighs more than fat and can give you a false sense of failure.