RN health

Options
I am a nurse. I represent the nurses that sit all day and have potlucks every week. People are constantly bringing crap food into the office. I have an ally in our office who wants to eat healthy so that's a positive. Sometimes I feel like it's a plot to make me fat. So glad I have a trainer and I am using MFP to connect with like minded people in similar situations.

Replies

• christys03
    christys03 Posts: 22,784 Member
    Options
    I am also a nurse. But now work a desk job....and yes .....food everywhere....its rediculous 2 b a healthcare facility....with so much crap everywhere.....and screech!!!!!!! I decline all cupcakes and cookies....and I'M OBSESSED!!!!! dumbasses.....

Lost 100lbs. Maintaining now.....its work. EVERYDAY....but it's life now. :D
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am in software dev and it's the same for me, except most of my co-workers like to survive off cheetos and mt. dew. I brought in a fruit tray for breakfast one morning (instead the typical McD sausage/bisc or bagles or donuts that the others bring). Guess what!!! At the end of the day, I took a full fruit tray home...which was fine by me! lol

But yea....those sexy chocolaty confections with sprinkles are hard to resist sitting there all day long. Even harder are the sausage and cheese kolaches. Sorry...I'm drooling on my keyboard now.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah
    dr.x is leaving their rotation (all day morning tea)
    It's y's birthday (all day morning tea)
    Z is having a baby (all day morning tea)

• NurseKristi81
    NurseKristi81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse but thankfully I work corrections and we are limited to what we can bring past the gates but on the downside we are limited exercise as we have to stay inside the clinic for safety reasons.
  • avablissed
    avablissed Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When my middle was 8 weeks old she was hospitalized for several weeks. The nurses became my world. When we left I wanted to give them something for all their kindness but I remembered seeing donut boxes and muffin tins in their room all the time.

I ended up buying them each Bath and Body works hand soap and gourmet coffee. Every single one said it was SO nice to not get sweets and snacks.

I can't imagine working around that all day. It would be so difficult. Especially in such a stressful job....it is too easy to make justifications on the fly.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Radiographer here, and same situation, including a regular scone day every Friday!

I get through by enjoying the scone every Friday, sitting well away from the food, or if I indulge log it and not having something else later.

One thing that worked for me when a well meaning co-worker was pushing a chocolate biscuit on me was saying "if I have that now, I can't have X later, and I really want X later!" and that worked really well well!

It also helps that people really notice the difference in me now so the don't even question it when I don't indulge, and just eat my carrot sticks. They actually help me! And finally I have a colleague who is also eating less, so often every will split something so we can say we had something but its not much.