How much should you attempt to lose so that you don’t become ‘saggy & baggy’?

Options
How much should attempt to lose a week in order to not become saggy or baggy? I have in excess of 100lb to lose.

Replies

• kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    No more than 2lbs/week in the beginning (you will lose more your first and second week but if you are eating at the level MFP gave you when you joined and said 2lbs a week it should stabolise after the water weight leaves).

The slower the better so your skin has time to "adjust".
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I believe 1 lb a week would be healthy (others can correct me if I'm wrong). Best thing you can do is incorporate some strength training into your regimen.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Loss rate matters more for preserving muscle than to avoid loose skin, which is often unavoidable.
  • jamandcreamscones
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I think I may need to recalculate my MFP weight loss goals. I have gym membership/trainer I just find there are so many more important tasks that need my attention that are fun ;).
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Agreed on the prevoius posts. Age and genetics are factors. Best of luck to ya x
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was over 350 lbs, and sometimes loose skin is unavoidable. I will likely need a tummy tuck regardless of how fast or slow I lost weight. With 100 lbs to lose, I would go with 1-1.5 lbs a week. Moderate amount of weight lost a week is easier to keep up and provides more fuel for your body. Weight training is always a good idea as well :)

I wouldn't even worry about loose skin honestly, it is what it is and can be removed if you desire.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm going to lose all 150 pounds I need to lose even if I am saggy and baggy at the end.

I'm going to need a tummy tuck regardless, because my fat increased the intra-abdominal pressure on my abs and gave me a diastasis recti (basically the connective tissue between my ab muscles has seperated down the middle and won't go back together again). This is most common after pregnancy, but I'm childless.

The only permanent fix is to lose weight and go to a plastic surgeon for a tummy tuck. There are temporary fixes by specific exercises that might work to strengthen the muscles surrounding the DR and close the gap, but they only work as long as you're consistent with the exercise.

I'm kind of hoping I'm really baggy because then I might be able to get insurance to pay for the tummy tuck for medical reasons. ;)
  • jamandcreamscones
    jamandcreamscones Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Best of luck jesslla/amv91. I’m just not particularly keen on medical interference of any kind unless it’s necessary.

I have had my gene test done and have my profile in that regard. My results were concrete in that I am suited to medium - long distance type excercise rather than high intensity burst excercise.

I’ve also readjusted my calorie/mfp counter. So let’s see what happens.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Best of luck jesslla/amv91. I’m just not particularly keen on medical interference of any kind unless it’s necessary.

I have had my gene test done and have my profile in that regard. My results were concrete in that I am suited to medium - long distance type excercise rather than high intensity burst excercise.

I'd be leery of the gene tests. From what I read they toss darts at a dart board for those. Nothing wrong with your choice of exercise, but the tests don't really test anything.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The data from genetic testing is not yet sufficient to tell you what kind of diet to eat or what kind of exercise to do. It's barely sufficient to guess your ethnic background. Don't go spending lots of money on it until you know scientific evidence exists to support it. Right now, it's woo.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

As far as I know, genetics have no impact at all on that stuff...