Gaining weight struggles

Options
Hey, I'm Jenn.

So last year my boyfriend at the time had an overdose. I saved his life, but he continued to do drugs and I couldn't take the stress of him doing it again. I loved him with all my heart but I couldn't do it anymore.

Anyway I fell into a deep depression that coincided with my existing anxiety. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat. I am good now after getting help. But after everything I lost weight and I can't get it back. I am 117 pounds at 5'7. I have an extremely fast metabolism and muscle definition though I don't work out.

I am a student trying to get my life together, so if anyone knows of any cheap high cal, high protein recipes I would be extremely grateful for some. Goal is to get to 137 pounds at some point to feel normal again.

Oh and sorry if that was heavy, haha.

See ya around!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've had a rough year - glad to hear you've been able to find a place where you're taking time to look after yourself!

For gaining weight cheaply, go for calorie dense versions of foods - whole eggs, full fat dairy, fatty meat and oily fish. Cook in fat, or add it after cooking. Choose carb dense fruit and vegies, add grains/cereals.

Buy ingredients in bulk. Buy frozen things that won't go to waste. Buy canned things you can store.

Omelettes made with whole eggs, cream, cheese and vegies would be a easy meal to fit your requirements.

You have muscle definition from being lean, not necessarily because you have lots of muscle. I would recommend lifting weights though so you put on some decent muscle and not just fat with your weight gain.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think it could be easier for you to gain weight if you focus on what you can do (eat more) and not worry about what you can't change (your metabolism).

Not eating enough for a while may have skewed your perception of normal amounts of food, you are used to eating less, you may even have learnt to like not eating enough. Your food choices may be filling you up too soon, and your appetite may still be out of whack after the traumatic things you've been going through. Not eating enough can in itself mess with your appetite. I think this has a way bigger impact than your metabolism (it's most likely completely normal).

In our society, high calorie food IS cheap. You need enough protein, but you don't have to eat high protein meals. Recipes are just instructions to make specific dishes. You need a wide range of nutrients, and a varied diet is the easiest way to ensure that. You should eat whatever you like enough to get enough calories and nutrients.

How is your meal pattern? Aim to eat regularly. Three meals daily plus 2-3 snacks could be suitable for you. Start with breakfast, and plan your meals and bring snacks so that you never have to skip any. Schedule meals in natural breaks in your day; set alarms if you need reminders. You may have to go out of your comfort zone (you can indeed eat more even if you "don't want to"), but you should not eat until you feel sick or get stomach cramps.

Balance your meals so that you get in sufficient nutrition in more calorie dense meals. You need a little bit of everything - some food from all the food groups - every day: Fruit, vegs, starches, meat/fish/eggs, nuts/seeds, dairy, fats/oils. You can add some treats that are usually regarded as "junk" - you need the calories, but you also need good nutrition. Calorie dense foods are generally tasty, but you have a problem with your appetite, so go easy on yourself. Be patient, and aim for consistency, don't try to get everything fixed in a week. This will take time.
  • derek9964
    derek9964 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Add me and i will help and encourage you all I can
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Sorry you've had a rough year.

My multiple-job student workers like this free ebook for cheap recipes and shopping tips: https://cookbooks.leannebrown.com/good-and-cheap.pdf

For calories, make sure you're choosing the more calorie dense options - whole milk, full fat cheeses, less-lean meats (which are often cheaper - think frozen chicken thighs, not breasts). For protein, try eggs, tuna, quinoa, greek yogurt (read labels! those vary a LOT), beans. Beans and rice is a staple in many areas for good reason - cheap and a fair amount of protein, especially if you have a bulk-food store nearby. Good spices are worth spending money on too.
  • Jennbm92
    Jennbm92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've had a rough year - glad to hear you've been able to find a place where you're taking time to look after yourself!

For gaining weight cheaply, go for calorie dense versions of foods - whole eggs, full fat dairy, fatty meat and oily fish. Cook in fat, or add it after cooking. Choose carb dense fruit and vegies, add grains/cereals.

Buy ingredients in bulk. Buy frozen things that won't go to waste. Buy canned things you can store.

Omelettes made with whole eggs, cream, cheese and vegies would be a easy meal to fit your requirements.

You have muscle definition from being lean, not necessarily because you have lots of muscle. I would recommend lifting weights though so you put on some decent muscle and not just fat with your weight gain.

Thank you you for your input! I will definitely keep this in mind
  • Jennbm92
    Options
    I think it could be easier for you to gain weight if you focus on what you can do (eat more) and not worry about what you can't change (your metabolism).

Not eating enough for a while may have skewed your perception of normal amounts of food, you are used to eating less, you may even have learnt to like not eating enough. Your food choices may be filling you up too soon, and your appetite may still be out of whack after the traumatic things you've been going through. Not eating enough can in itself mess with your appetite. I think this has a way bigger impact than your metabolism (it's most likely completely normal).

In our society, high calorie food IS cheap. You need enough protein, but you don't have to eat high protein meals. Recipes are just instructions to make specific dishes. You need a wide range of nutrients, and a varied diet is the easiest way to ensure that. You should eat whatever you like enough to get enough calories and nutrients.

How is your meal pattern? Aim to eat regularly. Three meals daily plus 2-3 snacks could be suitable for you. Start with breakfast, and plan your meals and bring snacks so that you never have to skip any. Schedule meals in natural breaks in your day; set alarms if you need reminders. You may have to go out of your comfort zone (you can indeed eat more even if you "don't want to"), but you should not eat until you feel sick or get stomach cramps.

Balance your meals so that you get in sufficient nutrition in more calorie dense meals. You need a little bit of everything - some food from all the food groups - every day: Fruit, vegs, starches, meat/fish/eggs, nuts/seeds, dairy, fats/oils. You can add some treats that are usually regarded as "junk" - you need the calories, but you also need good nutrition. Calorie dense foods are generally tasty, but you have a problem with your appetite, so go easy on yourself. Be patient, and aim for consistency, don't try to get everything fixed in a week. This will take time.

You make a good point. I'll have a problem eating large meals and usually snack because I'm never hungry (where as I used to be all the time!) I'll write this down. Thank you!
  • Jennbm92
    Options
    Meghanebk wrote: »
    Sorry you've had a rough year.

My multiple-job student workers like this free ebook for cheap recipes and shopping tips: https://cookbooks.leannebrown.com/good-and-cheap.pdf

For calories, make sure you're choosing the more calorie dense options - whole milk, full fat cheeses, less-lean meats (which are often cheaper - think frozen chicken thighs, not breasts). For protein, try eggs, tuna, quinoa, greek yogurt (read labels! those vary a LOT), beans. Beans and rice is a staple in many areas for good reason - cheap and a fair amount of protein, especially if you have a bulk-food store nearby. Good spices are worth spending money on too.

Thank you, this will help me immeasurably!!!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I am sorry for what you have gone through, and it's admirable that you want to take care of yourself. The others gave you excellent suggestions. I am trying to gain as well, so feel free to add me. Your body is used to eating so little, so it might be tough at first. Start by adding a tablespoon or 2 of oil to every meal, and then slowly increase your portion sizes. You will figure out some neat tricks, like adding mayo to scrambled eggs or saving the fat from cooked meat instead of draining it (use to cook other stuff). Focus on getting adequate nutrition and calories before starting a lifting program, but even light exercise like yoga can help with your appetite.

Also, and this might not happen in your case, but mfp numbers could be too low due to your body feeling deprived. If you reach your calorie goals accurately and still lose/maintain weight after a while, then increase your intake by 100 until you see some positive results.
  • Jennbm92
    Options
    @Hamsibian thanks I appreciate it. oh I love mayo! I will do that will my eggs. And adding oil to each meal is a great idea. Thank you!
  • Jennbm92
    Options
    To everyone who replied thank you, it really means a lot getting some advise. (By the way, I just figured out this reply thing at the bottom instead of quoting everything, haha my bad). :D
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I dont think I can give more advice than was already given. Just wanted to say well done on your recovery and all the best.
  • laillama
    laillama Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try to gain muscle mass, as well. Combine weight lifting with whole foods and lots of protein and you can gain healthy weight.