Multiple sclerosis and weight loss

Options
Hey all- calling all people with MS and looking for input! I am very functional with MS, but really battling fatigue lately. I have about 75 pounds to lose and know that contributes to it. I feel like I'm stuck at the bottom, knowing how much I want and need to exercise, but it completely wipes me out! So 2 questions do people-

1. If you have MS and successfully lost a lot of weight, did that really help your fatigue? How did you start when you were on the heavy side?

2. What tools /advice do you have to get started? I really want to exercise but feel like I am completely drained with life(twin toddlers, full time job), let alone added exercise.

Thanks all!

Replies

• Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I know my mom (37 years since her diagnosis) had stretchy bands that hooked on the top of a door and she would just do some arm and / or leg exercises depending on how much strength she had that particular day. She would sit while doing this in order to focus her energy just on the exercising muscles. Maybe something to have on hand for days when you're really fatigued?
  • kazinmich
    kazinmich Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have MS. I am highly functional and struggle with fatigue! A few things have helped, and I did lose 60 lbs 3x but struggle to keep it off, each time for a different reason. This is what has helped me.
    1. Ketogenic diet. This is the only way of eating I truly have felt energetic and normal. especially when i stay away from anything processed.
    2. Provigil. My Dr has given me a script. This has really helped. I feel more mentally alert without any bad side effects
    3. Cpap. I found out that I have both central and obstructive sleep apnea. My brain literally forgets to send the signal to breathe! It took 3 months to be comfortable using it, but now I sleep amazing and love it.
    4. Stay awake caffeine pills. I don't normally drink soda at all. I don't drink coffee or a anything with caffeine, so on my worst days I will take a half pill to full pill to get through.

I work full time, I volunteer for dog rescue, I love to hike, disc golf, bike, and be active. I'm no longer concerned about my body size or lumps. I just want the energy to do the things I enjoy most so that means losing weight.

Best of luck!
    Karen
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I made a facebook group for the ketogenic diet and ms, if anyone is interested. called Ketogenic Diet & Multiple Sclerosis
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey all- calling all people with MS and looking for input! I am very functional with MS, but really battling fatigue lately. I have about 75 pounds to lose and know that contributes to it. I feel like I'm stuck at the bottom, knowing how much I want and need to exercise, but it completely wipes me out! So 2 questions do people-

1. If you have MS and successfully lost a lot of weight, did that really help your fatigue? How did you start when you were on the heavy side?

2. What tools /advice do you have to get started? I really want to exercise but feel like I am completely drained with life(twin toddlers, full time job), let alone added exercise.

Thanks all!

I have MS and I suffer from bad fatigue.

I gained about 45 lbs over menopause. I am 47.

I started by cutting out processed foods from my diet. I lost 10 lbs, but couldn't lose any more. I cut back on dairy and gluten as well.

So I started to swim (after a 14 year hiatus) twice a week (last October). I would get a migraine my second day I swam each week for the first month.

I went to a couple of dietitians to work on my diet in January and February. I was eating too much fruit (sugar) and not enough protein with my carbs. I was also up to swim 6 days/week by then. The dietitian told me to log my food in MFP.

I decided to cut out refined sugar, gluten, and dairy since they all cause inflammation. I eat mostly chicken and fish with a steak every other week or after a long swim. I eat dark chocolate if I do crave something sweet. I eat whole grain popcorn at night if I get hungry.

I lost 45 lbs by August. My body is still changing and getting thinner. I have had 4 years of no new lesions. I still get some pain and can overdo it. I take Tysabri every 4 weeks as well.

My neuro said that I will most likely continue to have fatigue. I take Adderall XR every day. I now take it after I swim though, since I don't need it for swimming. Then it lasts longer into my work day.

Nicki
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    @Jazzyjules71 I also make smoothies almost every day with fresh tumeric and fresh ginger each day to fight inflammation. That has helped me not need NSAIDs very much.

I never thought I would eat natural food to help me fight illness, but I do and it has made the world of difference.

I need to find a food for fatigue.

I think I suffer from fatigue because I do so much in my life. It sounds like you do too!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    My (60 year old) mother has relapsing remitting MS and is mostly functional. She has been on interferon injections every second day since diagnosis nearly 20 years ago.

Over the last 3 years or so she has lost about 15kg through adding exercise in the form of ballroom dancing lessons and regular dances.She finds the dancing more enjoyable and a much less pressured environment than the gym or other exercise classes.