Pure protein ideas

Options
Hi. I'm always using up my carbs and fats but not sure how to use up my remaining calories via pure protein besides egg whites. Any ideas?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Most foods have a mix of macronutrients. You have to start with a sensible macro split, and then tweak, not fill up intil only one is left. Calories is king, anyway.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I supplement with whey protein powder to accomplish this.
  • Carina5707
    Carina5707 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Raw nuts are usually good. Same with beans. Oatmeal too. But remember that there's no such thing as protein deficiency, so I wouldn't worry about it as long as your diet has variety.
  • silverblaze55
    silverblaze55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I come up short on my protein a lot too. I try to eat chicken, shrimp, canned tuna, or fish at least once during the day. If I don't manage that, I also supplement with whey protein powder.
  • Roosh513
    Roosh513 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Your pure protein sources are going to be very slim. Even chicken and fish have a decent amount of fat depending on the cut of meat. Your best bet is supplement with protein powder or eat LOTS of egg whites. Someone else mentioned it, but if you lean towards carb-heavy foods, make sure you balance it out with your other meals. If one meal is really high in carbs, then go with the meat/veggie approach for the next meal.

I'm sure most don't really care to eat 15 egg whites for a meal due to poor planning, so to make things easier on yourself, just make sure all your meals are as close to your macro split as possible. FWIW - it depends on your physique goals, but the majority of people don't really need more than 0.75g per pound, and even that is generous. If you don't believe me, just do some research on vegan body building. They are not guzzling protein shakes or eating meat and eggs :smiley:
  • gldntwins
    gldntwins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always incorporate low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese & plain Greek yogurt into my diet daily to hit my protein goals.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Carina5707 wrote: »
    Raw nuts are usually good. Same with beans. Oatmeal too. But remember that there's no such thing as protein deficiency, so I wouldn't worry about it as long as your diet has variety.

Nuts are mostly fat with a little protein. Beans and oatmeal are primarily carbs.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Carina5707 wrote: »

Uh, yeah, there is. And especially when you're dieting, you need to get adequate protein to help mitigate the loss of lean body mass.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Calories is king, anyway.

Calories is king when it comes to cutting or bulking only. But every human being on this earth needs some sort of minimum intake of dietary fat and protein before short-term side effects and maybe long-term health effects start to take way.

Macronutrient intake should not be ignored. Not knowing how much dietary fat and protein your body requires as a minimum intake AND for your fitness goals is very important.

To all:

Carbs are not the devil, but processed, man-made food might be. Most of these man-made food products are carb heavy, hence the automatic, yet stupid connection about carbs being evil.

Carbs are non-essential calorie wise, but moat great carb sources are already low calorie. If you're unsure what kinds of carbs you should be eating, it is those high in fiber and/or vibrant in color (reds, greens, yellows, purples, etc) and low in calories. Most whole foods found in nature such as vegetables, fruits, grains, etc are an example. Dont ignore these foods. They are rich in micronutrients, and if eaten daily, eliminate the need for a multivitamin.