What kickstarted your weightloss?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Mostly pictures that were taken of me and posted on the company website all the dang time, reminding me of how out of control my weight had become. Also feeling winded at the train station on a business trip. Before that, I'd always easily kept up with my normal weight peers. It was time to change.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    pigheaded wrote: »
    I was in a store two years ago. Standing in line and waiting to buy a three liter bottle of Dr. Pepper and a bag of ruffles potato chips before a football game. I turned around and a little six year old boy was with his mom behind me. He looked up at me and grinned. I smiled back and turned around. I heard him tell his mom “ That man is fat.” I was no embarrassed and hurt. I left my stuff at the checkout and walked out of the store. I haven’t touched a bag of ruffles or a Dr. Pepper since. I was 220 at the time. So I was fat and I am glad that I got a kick in the pants to get the weight off, even if it took the words of a child to get me started. Glad I didn’t have bacon and beer at the time!

I started at 230lbs and the first thing I did was stop buying chips. Haven't bought a bag since. My kick in the butt was my grandmother who hadn't seen me in a couple of months telling me I was getting really fat. My family never commented on my weight like that before. The day after I signed up for MFP and I've lost 60lbs since. Thanks grandma! lol
  • meggs9605
    meggs9605 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been absent for a long time too. I just downloaded the app yesterday. I have gotten lax with focusing on myself and self care in general. In the last 6 mo, i have gained about 14 lbs. I didnt even realize it until i made myself get on the scale last week. I am not proud of it but I wasn't exactly motivated to do anything. Last weekend (after a very rocky and emotion past month), I randomly ordered a acupressure mat and teeth whitening products from Amazon. Then on Monday, I had some produce that was about to go bad so I pulled out my dusty Ninja and made green smoothie for a couple of days. After just those few things that I prioritized for MYSELF (not my husband, toddler, or work), my motivation started going up. But, i am also an "all or nothing " type. If i commit, i become hyperfocused on something.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I'm back after a bit of a break from MFP and I'm ready to start making changes.

So my question for you today is, what was the first thing you changed when you decided it was time to lose weight? Did you walk more? Did you cut a type of food out? What was it?

Let me know!!
    Xx Dayna

I committed to a full program. I hired a PT I found on IG who gives me my macros/calories do eat each week and gave me workouts to follow each week and I check-in with her every week with measurements and weight and progress photos.
    I started in February and have lost a total of 15" over my body and nearly 25lbs.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    This time around (i lost weight before, and gained it all back with my last pregnancy) I have 3 daily goals
    1-drink 3 bottles of water(thats 9 cups),
    2-avoid binging after work (I tend to eat my feelings)
    3-workout, whether it be running, weight training, or just a walk on rest days.
    so far its working for me. of course also, record everything you eat.
  • changetime77
    changetime77 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was feeling uncomfortable so I started to log my food because I have a bad habit of not eating more then once or twice a day and drank a lot of Coke... So I started logging my food, drink more water and less Coke....
  • babythea
    babythea Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I turned 20 earlier this month and it sunk in that I'm officially not a teenager anymore. I don't want to spend the rest of my youth unhealthy so here I am. I started drinking lots more water, choosing healthier food options, and exercising on days my disability allows me.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Pulling the food scale back out and measuring everything. That's how I lost 72 lbs the first time around. I maintained for 6 months.. then let myself slideeeeee, tried to get back down by just cutting a little and being mindful but nope.. now I'm back to using the food scale.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have been injured (tendonitis for about the last 6 months) and had been slowly gaining weight over the past 2 years. Two things kick started my current about 20 lb weight loss in 2.5 months: 1. Committing to 40 min - 1 h of aerobic exercise each morning (walking, water walking and/or running) before lunch (difficult because I am so busy, but I put it as my top priority) 2. Starting with a keto diet (and specifically no alcohol, sugar or flour) for a month and trying not to really eat much until about 10 am 3. Tracking what I ate. Keto really decreased my hunger during the day and with skipping breakfast and the increased exercise every day the weight came off pretty painlessly. Since then I've increased carbs a bit by eating more veggies and fruit (though haven't really had sugar or flour yet) and added back one drink per week. I think it helped that I had an anti-inflammatory goal as my top priority (above weight loss) so I was really motivated not to cheat. I also found it easier to say "never" than "just one" in social situations where desserts or alcohol were present.
  • ellaminnowpea81
    Options
    I've always battled with my weight and several years ago I started having really nasty sciatica flare ups and acid reflux. Still didn't stick with any fitness or weight loss plans. But sadly the real motivator was a horrible breakup with our ex girlfriend (l have a husband) and several family members attempted suicide within the same week. I went through a horrific depression and was barely able to eat for weeks. The anxiety had me shaking constantly and I couldn't sleep. So I stated working out hard to burn it off. It helped some so I kept doing it. Next thing I knew I'd dropped 8 lbs in a week (not exactly healthy I know, worried the crap out of my husband). So i figured why not? If I'm going to go through this I might as well have something to really show for it and I started really tracking everything. I gradually started feeling better. My appetite started coming back and I wasn't getting sick when I tried to eat. That was back in June. I'm now almost 30 lbs lighter and have regained most of my confidence. I feel so much better and that nasty stagnant feeling is almost gone. Meanwhile, the family members mentioned before all got the help they deserve and are doing much better. And I look better than my ex lol.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Prospect of early death was pretty motivational for me

140lbs overweight, fatty liver disease, sky high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes

being told 'you won't see 60 and might not see 55 at the current rate' also tends to motivate

even then took me 6 months to take action, now on day 73 and lost 26lbs
  • billyeann90
    billyeann90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It took a while to get my mind psyched. I'll admit I should have started a long time ago. I wanted to do the rny bypass surgery because my insurance would cover it now that I was at 246. Only thing is they wanted 5 years of height and weight history and I wasn't always this big... So I decides to stop waiting and just do it myself. Ive never in my life been so focused, determined, and motivated to do something in my life. Being in a toxic marriage really has put me down on myself and I have no support from him at home. I have zero friends. I'm doing this for me. I look in the mirror and hate what I see day in and day out. I want to be able to live a very active healthy lifestyle and teach my children to do the same. I'll never go back. I have been doing this a little over a week now and I feel awesome!
    What I'm doing is my doctor prescribed phentermine. I take it once a day for 3 months I then take 3 months off (of the phentermine) and then if I still need it after 6 months he will prescribe again. Phentermine has been a GREAT TOOL in helping me so far on this journey! I've cut out all soda and caffeine. I drink water only! When I get tired of water I buy the 0 calorie sparkling waters! They are great for curbing soda cravings (which I use to drink at least 100oz of a day :neutral: ). I limit my calorie intake to no more than 1300 calories a day I try to stay around 1000! After I hit my 3 month mark I'm going to do the keto diet just to change it up and hopefully shed a few more pounds while off phentermine.

Feel free to add me for support and motivation! I have lots of it :D
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just cut out breakfast and drank coffee with a little cream. I lost 30 lbs. without much effort and it motivated me to keep going, adding exercise and additional nutritional changes.
  • 1970carol70
    1970carol70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This may not sound encouraging but I have never had much success with doing little things that make a difference. I only have success when I am firing on all cylinders...eating at deficit(or maintenance), weight training and doing cardio. With that goes carefully monitoring my weight and logging and keeping a journal.
    As soon as I stop doing any of the things mentioned above, I tend to fall off the wagon and my progress regresses.

So for me...I commit to a full program. Good luck

That's the EXACT SAME for me! When I slack in one area, the other areas are not far behind!
    Hey all!

So my question for you today is, what was the first thing you changed when you decided it was time to lose weight? Did you walk more? Did you cut a type of food out? What was it?

Let me know!!
    Xx Dayna
    Hey all!

Let me know!!
    Xx Dayna

• JamieCroyle
    JamieCroyle Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

Let me know!!
    Xx Dayna

I got tired of not being able to do the things I use too as a kid ... I weighed 190 and with the support of ww meeting I'm in the 160's with another 25 - 30 lbs to go... Before rejoining ww meetings. I lost the first 15 lbs on my own by exercising and drinking lots of water. I walk all 7 days ( unless weather ) I managed to cut out fast food . I rarely ever go any more . This summer for the first time I went ziplineing IT was FUN !!! I managed to jump off diving board at the lake without sinking to bottom and trying to gasp for air I DID it !!! I got tired of having no energy.
  • JamieCroyle
    JamieCroyle Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I changed my eating habits, my attitudes and my environment at the same time, and I'm still tinkering with all of them, four years later and three years into maintenance.

I cut out sweets and snacks and stopped having sugar in my tea. I started to eat meals, consisting of real food. I started going for short walks every day.

But I also started to think like the normal weight person I wanted to be. And I stopped buying things I have trouble moderating.

I've managed to change my eating habits, How did you change your enviroment ? This is something I'm having trouble with Can you help me ? How did you change your environment ?
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    When I found out I was going to be a father, I took a hard look at my life, and decided to get sober.

I battled major depressed in early Recovery, and I put on a lot of weight quickly. Combination of substituting food for alcohol and drugs, emotional eating, medications, boredom. 40 pounds in less than 6 months.

Even sober, if I continued down that path I was going to leave my son without a father too young, and a trip to the GP in May proved it. So I made some changes.

- Counted my calories. Best I could. Used a good scale.
    - Found a fitness program I liked and stuck with it. For me that was CrossFit. First three days a week, then 4, now 5 or 6.
    - Came to terms with my late night eating. Used to believe all that junk about eating late and gaining weight. Now I realize is was me going over my calories that was causing it, so I plan my day that way. Save 1/4 of my calories for after dinner.
    - I treat myself occasionally and don't shame myself for it. Shake Shack, Key Lime Pie, Fried Clams - all in my diary. And when I do, I don't get bent out of shape and throw in the towel. Just pick up where I left off.
    - I cut out added sugar. NOT because I think sugar is the devil, but because those are foods that I binge on. I've never woken up with strawberry tops on my pillow, but Reese's wrappers are a different story.
    - I walk everywhere. Seriously, I've filled up my car once since Late July. My toddler loves it - stroller time means more discovered parks and more seen dogs. Sometimes I have to take two trips to the grocery store, but it's worth it.
    - I cook 95% of my meals at home. Breakfast is a spinach smoothie. Lunch is usually skipped. Dinner is a meal from Hello Fresh or Hone Chef. Cook them 6 nights a week. Leaves little opportunity to order pizzas.

In the last 100 days, I've lost 31 pounds. Averaged 2150 calories a day too!