does anyone else?

Options
do any of you have financial problems and feel that it directly impacts your diet?

Replies

• BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, kind of. My financial problems stem directly from the horrible diet I had several years ago (and still do somewhat now) by eating out at restaurants all the damn time...I have to spend like 20% of my income to pay that off. Sigh.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.

Financial problems...yes....impacting the diet, not really.

There are TONS of stuff out there that's cheap to make in bulk (like chili) and can last for DAYS! And its healthy!

It's just a matter of doing a little research and seeing what's out there.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Yep -- in an emotional way, more than in a grocery bill way. The stress and worry affect my appetite (especially for comfort foods) and kill my motivation to work out. Absolutely!
  • Dmax12
    Dmax12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah, for sure. But all it means is I cant get those awesome individually wraped organic presliced apples. learning to cook in advance and in bluk, freezing, canning, etc are all ways to greatly reduce the cost of eating a very healty diet.
  • ema192
    ema192 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yep -- in an emotional way, more than in a grocery bill way. The stress and worry affect my appetite (especially for comfort foods) and kill my motivation to work out. Absolutely!

I feel exactly the same, I get so stressed I can't focus again loose all motivation that and a boyfriend and daughter who can eat and it has no effect is so frustrating!!
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    WHen I was younger, I didn't work and my mom would constantly buy junk... So I had to eat what she had at the house. I do know what you're saying. II was going to fast food places because it was cheaper.
  • erinbug31
    Options
    I can definitely relate to the financials woes vs. healthy eating. I love buying the pre-made salads, the pre-sliced fruit, etc. Eating healthy really is more expensive and that is why so many of us are overweight. Can you really buy food at the grocery store for around 5-6 dollars a meal or would you rather go to Mcdonalds and buy a combo meal? Its easier to spend less on those meals because its cheaper and seems to make the most sense.
    I am battling that right now. I am living paycheck to paycheck (and sometimes shorter)...its so hard. Weight gain is definitely impacted by your job, your income and your lack of motivation because you dont have money to do anything recreational.
    In closing, I am hoping that we can all help each other to come up with awesome And CHEAP ideas for eating well on a beer budget! HELP! :)

9970706.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Some things that we do to help keep the grocery bill down...

FROZEN VEGETABLES
    Frozen veggies are typically a great value, and very nutritious.

BEANS
    Crock pot (slow cooker) is great way to go. Cook 'em overnight and then freeze any surplus. If you go with canned beans, I would recommend rinsing them to cut down on the sodium. Some nice folks have even added the rinsed versions of most canned beans to the food database.

OATMEAL
    Oatmeal is another great, cheap, healthy food.

COSTCO REAL EGG (EGG WHITES COLORED YELLOW)
    The box of 6 cartons comes out cheaper than even Walmart's brand, and is a great low-calorie, protein-rich food.

GROCERY STORE PRICE MATCHING (WALMART)
    We have been able to buy a lot more fruit and veggies (along with meats and other items) thanks to Walmart's price-matching policy on groceries. We check all of the special that come in the junk mail for local grocery stores, jot them down and head to Walmart.

The best fruit and veggie prices here are found in the Latin markets -- it's not uncommon for us to pick-up 6 lbs of oranges for $0.99, for example. Sometimes, though, the quality can be poor at the store offering the sale, so we just take that price to Walmart. It will also save you time and gasoline/bus fare. Walmart's price match policy is that you don't have to bring the ad -- just be able to tell them where you found the offer. They keep the local ads there, supposedly. We've never gotten any hassle though.
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Some things that we do to help keep the grocery bill down...

FROZEN VEGETABLES
    Frozen veggies are typically a great value, and very nutritious.

BEANS
    Crock pot (slow cooker) is great way to go. Cook 'em overnight and then freeze any surplus. If you go with canned beans, I would recommend rinsing them to cut down on the sodium. Some nice folks have even added the rinsed versions of most canned beans to the food database.

OATMEAL
    Oatmeal is another great, cheap, healthy food.

COSTCO REAL EGG (EGG WHITES COLORED YELLOW)
    The box of 6 cartons comes out cheaper than even Walmart's brand, and is a great low-calorie, protein-rich food.

GROCERY STORE PRICE MATCHING (WALMART)
    We have been able to buy a lot more fruit and veggies (along with meats and other items) thanks to Walmart's price-matching policy on groceries. We check all of the special that come in the junk mail for local grocery stores, jot them down and head to Walmart.

The best fruit and veggie prices here are found in the Latin markets -- it's not uncommon for us to pick-up 6 lbs of oranges for $0.99, for example. Sometimes, though, the quality can be poor at the store offering the sale, so we just take that price to Walmart. It will also save you time and gasoline/bus fare. Walmart's price match policy is that you don't have to bring the ad -- just be able to tell them where you found the offer. They keep the local ads there, supposedly. We've never gotten any hassle though.

thank you so much for the info! ;)
  • sarahlynnew
    Options
    My finacial situation does effect my grocery list. If I don't have much for groceries then its just spagetti and other boxed foods. But if it's a good week then I actually cook from my vegetarian cook book which every receipe has many fresh veggies in it. And then throw in the stress eating from worrying about money.
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to the financials woes vs. healthy eating. I love buying the pre-made salads, the pre-sliced fruit, etc. Eating healthy really is more expensive and that is why so many of us are overweight. Can you really buy food at the grocery store for around 5-6 dollars a meal or would you rather go to Mcdonalds and buy a combo meal? Its easier to spend less on those meals because its cheaper and seems to make the most sense.
    I am battling that right now. I am living paycheck to paycheck (and sometimes shorter)...its so hard. Weight gain is definitely impacted by your job, your income and your lack of motivation because you dont have money to do anything recreational.
    In closing, I am hoping that we can all help each other to come up with awesome And CHEAP ideas for eating well on a beer budget! HELP! :)

9970706.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

sounds like we have our financial situatuion and our need to shed weight in common...i'll friend you! ;)
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    The Walmart price match thing has been a lifesaver for us. It's amazing how much prices have increased. And, in our experience, they don't care if the price was only good on a certain day of the week at the other store. I don't divulge that info, anyway, but... it's a very good thing and I would hate to see it ever change.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Very good info. Thanks. I think in this economy everyone has to be struggling to some degree, but maybe I am wrong..