examples balanced vegetarian meals???

Options
could someone please give me some examples of balance, healthy vegetarian meals and snacks???

i eat all dairy and eggs just no meat whatsoever! :)

Replies

• fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    You could do a stir fry with tofu, or some soy meat with a serving of vegetables (think soy ribs..Morningstar Farms) with mashed potatoes and green beans or something like that. If I'm not cooking for myself (like if my mom cooks), there's usually always a protein, a starch and a veg. I just substitute my protein for a vegetarian one. You could also make your own pizza. I do that quite frequently..get a store bought crust (or even make your own) and just load it up with tons of veggies, go light on the cheese. You could even use soy crumbles on the pizza for some protein (like ground beef but better). Hope these suggestions help!
  • altitudedistract
    Options
    curried garbanzo beans with onion, green pepper, broccoli and coconut milk, over whole grain brown rice or orzo pasta is delicious! Add fresh basil and it's amazing
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions, what do other vegos eat as snacks and at breakfast time??
  • veggiepug
    Options
    While I'm not technically vegetarian at the moment (I recently started eating fish again) I became vegetarian last October and learned a few balanced vegetarian meals/sides. I still eat about 80% vegetarian. Here are some examples:

-Tofu stir fry with lots of veggies (and brown rice if you like it. I hate it so I eat it with white rice)
    -Quinoa (soooo yummy and versatile. I cook mine with vegetable broth, then sauté some chopped onion and garlic. Throw the cooked quinoa on top and combine. Mix in a little bit of soy sauce)
    -Roasted veggies (make a big pan of roasted zucchini, yam, onion, bell pepper, etc. I toss them with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic powder)
    -Veggie burgers with homemade baked fries (not the healthiest per say, but it's good when you're looking for a treat and/or craving cheese burgers. I like Morningstar Grillers Prime)
    -Whole wheat pasta tossed with sautéed mushroom, onion and garlic. I throw in some olive oil and feta cheese. SO GOOD!
    -Beans & Rice (leftovers make yummy burritos)
    -Homemade bean burritos (I love the Cooking Light chipotle bean burritos recipe)
    -Eggplant parmesan (search for lighter recipes)
    -Vegetable lasagna (homemade - I like Cooking Light. Emilybites.com has a really yummy white veggie lasagna recipe)
    -Tofu fried rice (another Cooking LIght recipe)
    -Homemade vegetarian chili (really yummy on top of a baked potato)

For snacks I either do fruit, a hard boiled egg, or greek yogurt (Chobani is my favorite. It has 14 g of protein)
    Breakfast usually consists of steel cut oatmeal with a little bit of brown sugar and raisins or blueberries. Or a fruit smoothie and a hard boiled egg. Or if I have room for the calories and don't mind a more processed breakfast, I'll fry an egg (just in some Pam) and make an egg sandwich with a bagel thin, cheese and Morningstar sausage patty.

Whoa, sorry for the novel!
  • BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian AT ALL, but my breakfast and lunch is typically vegetarian...I eat convenient foods at my office for breakfast and lunch...breakfast is plain quick-cooking oatmeal with brown sugar and cinnamon and a banana.

Lunch is a homemade walnut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat with an apple and V8 juice...all easy to keep on hand and require less than a minute of prep to eat.
  • Nateorious
    Options
    Kitchari is a great tasting simple meal.

http://www.ayurveda.com/online_resource/kitchari_recipe.htm

Just add what ever vegies you want to the recipe above.

If you really want to learn how to eat and cook vegetarian properly you should learn about Indian cooking.
    Check out the cook book: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking. Only vegetarian cook book to ever win cook book of the year. Get a good understanding of Indian cooking and everything will be much easier to branch out from.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    One super easy vegetarian meal that my husband and I like to make is chickpea tacos.

1) Empty 2 cans of chickpeas (one drained, one undrained) into a sauce pan.
    2) Add taco seasoning (not exactly sure how much since we typically just add spices until it tastes good, but if you're going from a packet, it is probably 1/2-1 packet, depending upon your preferences).
    3) Heat over medium heat and mash with the back of a wooden spoon or potato masher or whatever you have. You want it to be kinda broken down but not total mush.
    4) Spoon into tortillas. Add salsa, cilantro, chopped lettuce, chopped tomatoes, guacamole -- whatever veggies you want.
    5) YUM!

Serves the 2 of us with leftovers for at least one more meal, if not two.
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    thanks guys some yummy sounding suggestions, will definitly check out that coook book