Mediterranean meals

Options
rushed2it
rushed2it Posts: 24 Member
I’m trying to find easy morning Mediterranean meals. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Mizzy58
    Mizzy58 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to eat a Mediterranean diet. Are you doing the diet? And do you know if there are any boards here of anyone doing it.
  • Mizzy58
    Mizzy58 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the website Jgnatca. There are so many foods that I thought were off limits. It's a whole different way of eating and so far I like it.
  • lovetolift2016
    lovetolift2016 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    rushed2it wrote: »
    I’m trying to find easy morning Mediterranean meals. Anyone have any suggestions?

Pork or chicken souvlaki is an easy.
  • Thafethik
    Thafethik Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Following. .... my husband is North African and there food is so clean and good. I said if I lived there 3 months I would be so skinny. I have to look up some recipes and I'll share
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt with fruit. Whole grain bread with hummus. Whole grain bread with a little soft cheese (i like laughing cow lite cheese) and honey. A handful of nuts (measure them!)
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

err, there are definitely life circumstances and culture and lifestyles that make it easier, though. Like it's going to be way easier for be to lose weight backpacking through Central America for four months than it would be trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle at my desk job in Chicago. It's still doable, but it's not a coincidence that Americans are generally so fat. There are many cultural norms here that contribute to it.
  • Louve350
    Louve350 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Thafethik wrote: »
    Following. .... my husband is North African and there food is so clean and good. I said if I lived there 3 months I would be so skinny. I have to look up some recipes and I'll share

Yea OK. No matter where you live you can be "so skinny". Its how much goes in your mouth that matters, not where you live or what you eat.

It matters where you live because it's also about the "culture"....For example the USA has the fast food culture and was declared the "biggest" country... Some other countries don't have flourishing McDonalds at every corners and overflow of cars and such.. Hell, I think it's somewhere in France that some schools provides "healthy gourmet" meal and even classes.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Louve350 wrote: »

Yea OK. No matter where you live you can be "so skinny". Its how much goes in your mouth that matters, not where you live or what you eat.

It matters where you live because it's also about the "culture"....For example the USA has the fast food culture and was declared the "biggest" country... Some other countries don't have flourishing McDonalds at every corners and overflow of cars and such.. Hell, I think it's somewhere in France that some schools provides "healthy gourmet" meal and even classes.

It does not matter. McDonalds is not to be blamed for this at all. People will eat what they want to eat. Plenty of talk about this in the debate section.

Can I just ask if you've ever lived in a mediterranean country? This is not a "snarky" question--love your protein cheesecake thread. People that haven't lived here just don't understand. I sure didn't until I moved to Italy 31 years ago. It is "the culture", a whole, so to speak. When I come back to the States for a visit, I can see so many changes that have contributed to an unhealthy lifestyle.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

It does not matter. McDonalds is not to be blamed for this at all. People will eat what they want to eat. Plenty of talk about this in the debate section.

Can I just ask if you've ever lived in a mediterranean country? This is not a "snarky" question--love your protein cheesecake thread. People that haven't lived here just don't understand. I sure didn't until I moved to Italy 31 years ago. It is "the culture", a whole, so to speak. When I come back to the States for a visit, I can see so many changes that have contributed to an unhealthy lifestyle.

No I have not, but I live in Canada and I am far from being fat. Its all about the choices.

I have to agree with this. First, while first-hand knowledge of a particular culture is always awesome, it is not a necessity for weight loss or gain. Weights have been dramatically increasing in France over the past couple of decades, and it hasn't stopped people from blaming American culture, even though the overweight/obese French folks have likely never lived in the US.

To expand on your point, one can easily recreate the most important culinary and fitness aspects of any and every Mediterranean culture quite easily if one is in a first world county and has access to every food in the world at one's fingertips. There is plenty of criticism to be leveled at some aspects of American food culture--and it is also a problem that people are profoundly ignorant (many times selectively so) of even the basics of nutrition, such as the balance of energy equation, but when someone is armed with the knowledge that you will likely be slim if a) you walk a lot, b) you eat modestly, and c) you eat traditionally, then it shouldn't matter where they happen to be in the world; they have the tools they need to be a healthy weight.

I live in Indiana--regrettably one of the fattest states--and sit in an office for most of the day, but it hasn't prevented me from deeply respecting the traditions passed down in my own family, learning the basics of French cuisine, eating appropriate amounts*, making my own neufchâtal and fromage blanc, baking my own bread, sourcing pastured meats and eggs, fancily riding my bike to a local market and coming back with a baguette, flowers and cabbage sticking out of the basket, growing hundreds of pounds of organic fruit and vegetables in my gardens, and getting in my workouts so I can be lean, healthy and strong. It all comes down to knowledge (which can come from books OR firsthand cultural experience) and motivation (which must come from inside). I also eat my fair share of, say, fries, or Red Robin burgers (bacon guacamole cheeseburger, please). And, I would also like to point out, a traditional Hoosier diet would be just as healthful and nutrient-dense as any Mediterranean cuisine.

*And no matter how fancy or expensive or traditional you get with your cuisine, this is the ONLY thing that matters for weight.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

No I have not, but I live in Canada and I am far from being fat. Its all about the choices.

Yes it's all CICO, mediterranean or not, but the emphasis on fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes and olive oil are cultural. When I go home, with my family in tow, I have to cook Italian meals and scrounge up compatable ingregients. I would like to point out that it isn't easy to find even simple things that I'm used to, however things have gotten better.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It's recommend by the American College of Cardiology and by the ADA. I got my mother on it and her carotid plaque regressed without statins or other cholesterol mess. Check out the newest studies reported by the National Institute of Health on Atherosclerosis and the Mediterranean Diet. That's why I am also on it. I can overeat, so I count calories on MFP.