Map My Ride

Options
I have Map My Ride synced with MFP. Today I took my first ride to get air in my tires. It was .95 miles for 9.51 minutes. Map My Ride gave me 58 calories burned. Now that seems excessive to me. I weigh 137 lbs and am 5'5". Does anyone use Map My Ride? I don't want to be eating back calories I'm not really earning. Maybe I should just unsync and just use the info to monitor my rides. Any thoughts?

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    That doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility for me, but only you know how strenuous your workouts are and what results you get. Are you always exactly on target? I think eating back 58 calories won't effect much either way.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back all of my calories, but my .95 mi ride was hardly strenuous. I rode around the block, coasted down hill, etc. I used a regular calorie tracker to compare and it said I burned 37 calories. Map My Ride gave me 20 more calories. Over a longer time and more distance, that amounts to quite a difference.
  • Trendline15
    Trendline15 Posts: 48 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi, I use Bike Calculator on my iPhone. I tried Map My Fitness. MMF was telling me 1,800 calories burned for a 20 mile, 1 hour and 20 minute bike ride. 1,800 calories seemed way too high. Bike Calculator seems to be the standard that everyone uses. I calculate my calories in BC, and then enter the result manually into MMF.

Note: A bicycle's performance, in both biological and mechanical terms, is extraordinarily efficient. In terms of the amount of energy a person must expend to travel a given distance, cycling is calculated to be the most efficient self-powered means of transportation.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_performance
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    All the sites differ. Even though MFP, and mapmyrun/ride are all owned by under armour they all estimate the same run or ride at different calories. I use mapmyrun to determine my distance but it usually gives me an extra 30% calorie burn. I enter in the time and manually change it to 30%less. So if MFP says I burned 400 calories I change it to 300 or so. Better to underestimate your calorie burn than overestimate it. In my opinion of course.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your numbers aren't at all high for ten minutes but a lot depends on your bike and your terrain.
    At that speed rolling resistance is the biggest factor.

Personal experience (but me and my bikes could be very different to you and yours...) - I found MyMyRide very inflated, I find Strava very believable.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    When I was using MapMyRide it always reported far more calories burned than what I think I burned. I can't use it now because it no longer works with Windows Phone, so I can't compare it to what Garmin Edge reports, but rough comparisons indicate that Garmin Edge reports far fewer calories for the same ride.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother recording rides shorter than about 30 minutes, first off. Second off, you can look at both the MFP calorie estimates and the mapmyride estimates, they are pretty close and seem rather high, in my experience.

Also, I like ridewithgps better than mapmyride.

Ride on!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I want to amend my prior comment. Looking at the mapmyride calculator page and comparing to the MFP and ridewithgps estimates for a ~2hr, 31 mile ride I did yesterday, I can report that MFP and RWG were very close at ~1500kcals while MMR is much higher at 1950kcals.

RWG was recording HR. I don't know if it uses it in its estimate. (I've ridden without it and it spits out a pretty similar number.) I've attempted running the WahooFitness app in parallel with MFP, but it seems to crash my phone. That would give yet another estimate, perhaps based on HR.

Bottom line: bicycling estimates vary. I note that power meter estimates need to know your metabolic/physical efficiency, which is usually a guesstimated at 20% or something.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    58 calories is a single Oreo. Don't stress over it. User Strava in the future.